The Student Room Group

Course change delayed to January

hi @SFE @Sfe

I'm currently in my second year undergrad, I put through a course transfer but due to admin errors and delays, it has'nt been processed in time for a September start. So it's likely I will have to do a January start now. The only issue is the first tuiton fees payment has already been made to the university last week.
So in terms of funding would I still be eligible?
despite me already being weeks in the first semester of my 2nd year UG and the new course start being january, would the payment likely be transferred as the course is with the same university?
Original post by raihan5678
hi @SFE @Sfe

I'm currently in my second year undergrad, I put through a course transfer but due to admin errors and delays, it has'nt been processed in time for a September start. So it's likely I will have to do a January start now. The only issue is the first tuiton fees payment has already been made to the university last week.
So in terms of funding would I still be eligible?
despite me already being weeks in the first semester of my 2nd year UG and the new course start being january, would the payment likely be transferred as the course is with the same university?

Hi, are you withdrawing and starting from year 1 or are you transferring and still in year 2? Were the fees paid to the wrong university?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, are you withdrawing and starting from year 1 or are you transferring and still in year 2? Were the fees paid to the wrong university?
Thanks, Isaac

I am in my second year at Coventry university changing to the first year of an accelerated degree (which is 2 years long at CU Coventry) . This is all with the same university group.
(edited 3 years ago)
I am in my second year at Coventry university changing to the first year of an accelerated degree (which is 2 years long at CU Coventry) . This is all with the same university group.

When the university send us the transfer, they just need to allocate all fees to the new course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
When the university send us the transfer, they just need to allocate all fees to the new course.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, I’ve just got an update from the university and as I’m going to start in January they said I have to withdraw from my current course, re apply for January start on the new course. Then I have to apply for new student finance again, so would the process as you said be the same in terms of my eligibility for student finance on the tuition fees.
Hi, I’ve just got an update from the university and as I’m going to start in January they said I have to withdraw from my current course, re apply for January start on the new course. Then I have to apply for new student finance again, so would the process as you said be the same in terms of my eligibility for student finance on the tuition fees.

If you have withdrawn, not transferring then yes you will need to apply as a new student again.

If you have 2 years of previous study you might not be eligible for funding. If you only have 1 year of previous study then you should remain eligible.
The Tuition Fee payment that was paid will be reversed if the university state they want £0 fees when they confirm the withdrawal. If the university tell us they want some fees then it will affect your future eligibility as your new university won't be able to take 100% of the fees.

Here is what our internal guidance states which may help you understand further.

Where a student attends the original university, even if the original university charge zero fees, the new university will only be able to charge the % for the remaining liabilities. For example: A student attends HEP A in T1 and then transfers to T1 at HEP B. HEP A do not charge fees. HEP B cant charge for T1, they can only charge for T2 and T3,

Examples
If the student transfers during Term 1 - the original university/college will receive 25%. The remaining 75% will be paid to the new university/college

If the student transfers during Term 2 - the original university/college will receive 2 x 25%. The remaining 50% will be paid to new university/college
If the student transfers during Term 3 - the new university/college cannot charge the student fees. Full payment will go to original university/college

Internal transfers - the university normally do internal transfers without the requirement of a change of circumstances, therefore doesn't affect the tuition fees.

Withdrawal
If a student withdraws their studies the amount they are charged will be dependent on when they withdrew.

During Term 1 - they will be charged 25% of the fees
During Term 2 - they will be charged 50% of the fees
During Term 3 - they will be charged 100% of the fees

The university/college will advise how much fees are due to be paid and send us a change of circumstances to amend the amount.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Hi,

i started the new course, i just have a query about potentially going on to do a masters or postgraduate study. As the new course is an accelerated 2 year programme (which slightly higher fees of 11,100 a year), doing this along with my previous year in psychology, would that just add up as 3 years of study. So would i still be eligible for fourth year funding or would the accelerated 2 year degree count as more then just 2 years of funding.
Hi,

i started the new course, i just have a query about potentially going on to do a masters or postgraduate study. As the new course is an accelerated 2 year programme (which slightly higher fees of 11,100 a year), doing this along with my previous year in psychology, would that just add up as 3 years of study. So would i still be eligible for fourth year funding or would the accelerated 2 year degree count as more then just 2 years of funding.

Hi Raihan, your previous undergraduate study will not affect your eligibility for postgraduate funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Hi Raihan, your previous undergraduate study will not affect your eligibility for postgraduate funding.
Thanks, Isaac

Great, just to further clarify despite me doing psychology first year (£9250) and then 2 years of computing at higher rate of (£11100). I would still be eligible for one year of any postgrad. Thanks again, just wanting to confirm
Great, just to further clarify despite me doing psychology first year (£9250) and then 2 years of computing at higher rate of (£11100). I would still be eligible for one year of any postgrad. Thanks again, just wanting to confirm

Previous undergraduate study will not affect your eligibility for postgraduate funding. As long as you have no previous postgraduate study.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending