The Student Room Group

Is this deemed 'inappropriate' for a driving instructor?

I am learning to drive and I recently have been with an instructor that my older sister learnt with. On my first lesson last month, he said that if I keep saying sorry or saying thank you he will "put me over his knee and spank me". Also, he continuously makes reference to this by slapping his hand in that motion every lesson and is constantly asking me if I have a boyfriend and "I should have a boyfriend" because "a girl like me should have a boyfriend". I always feel on edge before the lesson and I can't perform to my best standard because I always feel so uncomfortable. My mum says that "he doesn't mean anything by it and I should take it as a compliment". This instructor is in his 60s and I'm 17. She said that my sister mentioned he made one comment she was fine, but, for me, it isn't just one comment. My mum has him on social media and everything and she's saying that "There is always something wrong with me". What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Change instructors , that's completely unprofessional and hella gross
Yeah I also agree, I would find a replacement instructor that you can feel comfortable with!
thank you, I really appreciate the advice.
Dont let anyone pressure you into putting up with behaviour that makes you uncomfortable. Drop him immediately. If you feel you can, tell him clearly that its because his remarks made you uncomfortable and were inappropriate, so that he is discouraged from repeating it with others. But dont feel you have to have an excuse, or owe him an explanation. Just get rid.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Okay, but what should I do regarding my mother? She just doesn't understand it?
Thank you so much.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Original post by Strawberry Shark
Yeah I also agree, I would find a replacement instructor that you can feel comfortable with!
Original post by sophssmith_

If she thinks the spanking comment is appropriate there is not much you can do to make her understand. Just tell her you were not comfortable and find another instructor.
Maybe he doesn’t see it the same if it’s some kind of generational thing, but I would definitely be super uncomfortable with this too.

If you feel you can, you could talk to him about this and mention that you don’t like it, but if that feels like too much then I’d change instructor.

Your feelings are perfectly valid here. Most people would hate that.
Thank you so much.

It's inappropriate - your mum should accept you want to change. I'd be horrified if this was said to my daughter.
Reply 10
I suspect that he is a one man band running his own driving lesson business.

I can't say that I like the sound of his comments, it sounds creepy and unprofessional.

If I were you, I would ring somewhere like BSM and ask whether they have a female instructor with availability.

I'm assuming that your parents are paying for your lessons - just tell them that you've decided that you would like to have a female instructor after all and just give them the contact details they need to make the payments.

https://www.bsm.co.uk/
Original post by Kerzen
I suspect that he is a one man band running his own driving lesson business.

I can't say that I like the sound of his comments, it sounds creepy and unprofessional.

If I were you, I would ring somewhere like BSM and ask whether they have a female instructor with availability.

I'm assuming that your parents are paying for your lessons - just tell them that you've decided that you would like to have a female instructor after all and just give them the contact details they need to make the payments.

https://www.bsm.co.uk/

Yes, he has his own business but he has other people working for him. Thank you for advice, I really do appreciate the support from this situation.
Original post by Muttley79
It's inappropriate - your mum should accept you want to change. I'd be horrified if this was said to my daughter.

She is friends with him and he taught my sister, so I assume she doesn't want to damage an amicable relationship with him. Thank you though.
I am learning to drive and I recently have been with an instructor that my older sister learnt with. On my first lesson last month, he said that if I keep saying sorry or saying thank you he will "put me over his knee and spank me". Also, he continuously makes reference to this by slapping his hand in that motion every lesson and is constantly asking me if I have a boyfriend and "I should have a boyfriend" because "a girl like me should have a boyfriend". I always feel on edge before the lesson and I can't perform to my best standard because I always feel so uncomfortable. My mum says that "he doesn't mean anything by it and I should take it as a compliment". This instructor is in his 60s and I'm 17. She said that my sister mentioned he made one comment she was fine, but, for me, it isn't just one comment. My mum has him on social media and everything and she's saying that "There is always something wrong with me". What should I do?

Don’t feed this troll

report him if it makes you feel uncomfortable as he is in a place of authority and if he is really making you uncomfortable then you need to tell someone your mum may not say it but i will- it's not normal and anything could happen as a result of it so if you don't want them to find out about the potential claim then act like you don't want to learn how to drive and then either get a new instructor or try a new driving instructor buisness hope this helped you
Reply 15

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-a-driving-instructor.
Teach him a lesson..
Voila!

I never knew you could do this? I will definitely consider it, thank you so so much!
Original post by SlytherinSoul
report him if it makes you feel uncomfortable as he is in a place of authority and if he is really making you uncomfortable then you need to tell someone your mum may not say it but i will- it's not normal and anything could happen as a result of it so if you don't want them to find out about the potential claim then act like you don't want to learn how to drive and then either get a new instructor or try a new driving instructor buisness hope this helped you

I agree, I know of some female instructors who I might contact. Thank you for your advice and help!
Reply 18
I agree, I know of some female instructors who I might contact. Thank you for your advice and help!

Go for it! And no problem..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending