The Student Room Group

Where to get coins from for laundry?

Given the situation, I can't seem to get coins anywhere to do my laundry.
Most shops don't take money at all, and the ones that do cant give me all change unless I pay for something £2+.
I've been to the post office to see if they'll change my notes for me, but they can't due to money laundering laws.
And my bank won't give me coins because 'they don't have any' and I cant even request for them to order some in.

I'm really struggling now cause it seems in order to do my laundry, I have to first waste my money on something in hopes they give me enough change back.

Anyone know where I can get lots of coins/change?
Original post by Anonymous
Most shops don't take money at all, and the ones that do cant give me all change unless I pay for something £2+.
I've been to the post office to see if they'll change my notes for me, but they can't due to money laundering laws.
And my bank won't give me coins because 'they don't have any' and I cant even request for them to order some in.

I'm really struggling now cause it seems in order to do my laundry, I have to first waste my money on something in hopes they give me enough change back.

Hi!

Depends which one you go to, but you can try an arcade. Some exchange notes for coins so you can use the games.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2

Of course your bank can give you coins.

On the assumption that you need £1 coins, go in and draw cash at the counter and ask for it in £1 coins. Draw £20 for instance.
or use the self checkout tills in your local Tesco express (or whatever you have). Put a £20 in for something cheap (that you need anyway) and most/all the change comes in coins.
See when there's a member of staff in the laundrette - afaik they're working fewer hours per day because of covid but they're still there for the morning and evening peaks so you could time a visit to coincide with that.

post office sounds like B/S
changing cash notes to cash coins isn't money laundering
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
Of course your bank can give you coins.

On the assumption that you need £1 coins, go in and draw cash at the counter and ask for it in £1 coins. Draw £20 for instance.

I went to my bank today and asked to withdraw £20 in coins and they said no :/ they said they didn't have any to give out, so I asked if I could request for them to order some in and again they said they're not allowed to do that.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Depends which one you go to, but you can try an arcade. Some exchange notes for coins so you can use the games.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

I'll have a look for one near me then, thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ReadingMum
or use the self checkout tills in your local Tesco express (or whatever you have). Put a £20 in for something cheap (that you need anyway) and most/all the change comes in coins.

My local tesco express and Coop have card only self-checkout tills :/ Those are the places that ask me to buy something that is £2+ because they don't want to give their change away hahahahahah
Reply 8
Original post by Joinedup
See when there's a member of staff in the laundrette - afaik they're working fewer hours per day because of covid but they're still there for the morning and evening peaks so you could time a visit to coincide with that.

post office sounds like B/S
changing cash notes to cash coins isn't money laundering

my washing machines are in my student accommodation so the 'staff' that works there is the security hahahahaha.
I had assumed that there would be a note to coin converter where the washing machines are but I was mistaken. I have asked the 'staff' if they'd swap notes for coins and they said no :frown:
I'll have a look for a local launderette to see if they'll give me some coins. Thank you!
My local tesco express and Coop have card only self-checkout tills :/ Those are the places that ask me to buy something that is £2+ because they don't want to give their change away hahahahahah

Don't try breaking a £50 note - nobody likes them and a lot of places won't accept them or will make up a song and dance about it - a lot of people coming to the UK think the 50 must be the note to carry around with them rather than the smaller value notes... it's not, it's the note you most want to avoid having.

There's still some cash and card self checkout tills about
Try the post office when someone less idiotic is on duty (or a different post office)
Try asking nicely shortly after the shop opens the morning when they've still got lots of change in the till.
my washing machines are in my student accommodation so the 'staff' that works there is the security hahahahaha.
I had assumed that there would be a note to coin converter where the washing machines are but I was mistaken. I have asked the 'staff' if they'd swap notes for coins and they said no :frown:
I'll have a look for a local launderette to see if they'll give me some coins. Thank you!

Oh I thought circuit had taken all of those over and they were on electronic payment now.
Reply 11
I went to my bank today and asked to withdraw £20 in coins and they said no :/ they said they didn't have any to give out, so I asked if I could request for them to order some in and again they said they're not allowed to do that.

Can you draw cash across the counter in the Post Office? You can in the one near me.

Just draw £10 and ask for it in £1 coins.

PS I would keep a little jar in your room and always have around £5 in cash in it which you can use for the launderette.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending