The Student Room Group

Is it too late to do my EPQ?

I decided to do an EPQ in Year 12, but I'm now in Year 13 and I'm back to square one because I changed my university course and subsequently my topic.

My previous topic related to psychology, but as I'm now going to be studying English I've changed absolutely everything, and am currently narrowing down a title for an artefact project. I already feel quite overwhelmed with learning from home, but I think I'd enjoy the process of writing my artefact. I'm just unsure of how long all of this will take. I know I'm doing a piece of creative writing, but from quick searches I've seen anything from a 6,000-word short story to a novella! I have no idea how specific or in detail both my title or research need to be.

Has anyone got any experience with EPQ artefacts? Do you think I could get it done before Easter, when I'd likely want to focus on A-Level revision? It would also be great if anyone has actually done creative writing for it so that I could get more information, as I literally have no examples.

Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Aw I appreciate it. I'll hold off for now as I think I've put together a reasonable plan in regards to time management, but I'll bear it in mind, thank you!
I did EPQ although I wrote a dissertation rather than an artefact. My school gave us the first two terms to submit the EPQ by and my friends who did artefacts found the time given was enough to meet the requirements. As we are at half way through the first term, you would have to spend a bit of time during the Christmas holidays working on it maybe but I would say its worth it...
Original post by Ambrose2018
I did EPQ although I wrote a dissertation rather than an artefact. My school gave us the first two terms to submit the EPQ by and my friends who did artefacts found the time given was enough to meet the requirements. As we are at half way through the first term, you would have to spend a bit of time during the Christmas holidays working on it maybe but I would say its worth it...

Thank you so much for the advice. I'd be willing to do that, I just need my school to give me the all-clear on my project haha. I might try to find examples because my supervisor told me there were some on the AQA website, but I didn't see too many last time I checked. Sometimes I find it a little hard to navigate though so I'll just look a little deeper.

I appreciate your input!
No problem :smile: - I used exemplars a lot just for getting an idea for how format my project etc. - let me know if you need any other help!
Original post by Ambrose2018
No problem :smile: - I used exemplars a lot just for getting an idea for how format my project etc. - let me know if you need any other help!

Thank you so much! I’ll keep that in mind.
Reply 7
Original post by ashtolga23
I decided to do an EPQ in Year 12, but I'm now in Year 13 and I'm back to square one because I changed my university course and subsequently my topic.

My previous topic related to psychology, but as I'm now going to be studying English I've changed absolutely everything, and am currently narrowing down a title for an artefact project. I already feel quite overwhelmed with learning from home, but I think I'd enjoy the process of writing my artefact. I'm just unsure of how long all of this will take. I know I'm doing a piece of creative writing, but from quick searches I've seen anything from a 6,000-word short story to a novella! I have no idea how specific or in detail both my title or research need to be.

Has anyone got any experience with EPQ artefacts? Do you think I could get it done before Easter, when I'd likely want to focus on A-Level revision? It would also be great if anyone has actually done creative writiIng for it so that I could get more information, as I literally have no examples.

Thank you!

If you are very motivated to do it, I would say go for it!

But, it has taken me the whole of the summer holidays and up until last Friday to finish my dissertation- and that's just writing it, I started researching in January.

I think you need to consider if it is worth it. As the Unis aren't get let you in if you don't meet the A-Level entry requirements- so make sure to focus on them- they are way more important :smile:

I really enjoyed writing mine though so I can see why you want to do it!!!!

Good luck!
i started my epq in november and im here almost an entire year later with only half the essay written oops (that's just me tho, partially because under lockdown i was more focused on actually trying to get schoolwork done so i didnt start writing it until the summer holidays), but if you love the topic and can do it alongside you alevels then go for it
Original post by emma543
If you are very motivated to do it, I would say go for it!

But, it has taken me the whole of the summer holidays and up until last Friday to finish my dissertation- and that's just writing it, I started researching in January.

I think you need to consider if it is worth it. As the Unis aren't get let you in if you don't meet the A-Level entry requirements- so make sure to focus on them- they are way more important :smile:

I really enjoyed writing mine though so I can see why you want to do it!!!!

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice! I think I'll just have to try my best and give it up if becomes too much.

Do you mind me asking what your topic was? I don't really need to know but I'm curious haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending