The Student Room Group

Are you thinking about dropping out of university?

Poll

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

It's been just over a month since uni started, and this year for both Freshers and other students is shaping up to be a year like no other.

University may feel different from how it used to be, or how you expected it to be, and you may or may not be struggling with this.

How has university been for you so far? Are you enjoying it, or is it not what you thought it would be? What is it specifically you've enjoyed or found hard?

If you've found it difficult, are you thinking of dropping out of uni? What are your worries or concerns about doing this? What is stopping you if you haven't done it already?

Let us know your thoughts!
third year vibes
Seems like an odd title for a thread... a little negative. Perhaps something like "How are you finding university?" might be more suitable? Just a thought.
Original post by Anonymous
Seems like an odd title for a thread... a little negative. Perhaps something like "How are you finding university?" might be more suitable? Just a thought.

Hey! That's a fair point - we're specifically asking about dropping out for this thread as we've seen quite a lot of conversations on site around this, so we wanted to put a more direct poll up to get people's thoughts. That's the only reason the title is what it is - so the poll doesn't feel out of the blue!

I'll try and set up a separate thread to get thoughts more generally on how university is going and get some more balanced opinions as well :biggrin:
The poll options are really weird. All the options (even the "No, I'm going to stick it out for now") imply that all students are at least a little reluctant to be at uni.
Original post by GreenCub
The poll options are really weird. All the options (even the "No, I'm going to stick it out for now") imply that all students are at least a little reluctant to be at uni.

I think SD intended this thread to be specifically for students who have been unsure about uni so far or who may have considered dropping out at some point/ have already dropped out :smile:
See below:

Original post by StrawberryDreams
Hey! That's a fair point - we're specifically asking about dropping out for this thread as we've seen quite a lot of conversations on site around this, so we wanted to put a more direct poll up to get people's thoughts. That's the only reason the title is what it is - so the poll doesn't feel out of the blue!

I'll try and set up a separate thread to get thoughts more generally on how university is going and get some more balanced opinions as well :biggrin:
Original post by GreenCub

Original post by Mesopotamian.
I think SD intended this thread to be specifically for students who have been unsure about uni so far or who may have considered dropping out at some point/ have already dropped out :smile:
See below:

What Mesopotamian. has said here is spot on - this thread is for students finding things a bit difficult at the moment and have considered dropping out.

We have another thread here for people to share their experiences more generally if you want to get involved! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6754786
I am. I'm just waiting for first year to be over so I can get out of this stupid contract. Zoom University and forcing myself to smile through the pain just isn't working for me. I'm looking at doing an apprenticeship instead so that at least I'm actually earning money while I learn. Maybe I'm just someone who likes instant gratification
I'm seriously stressed, but I need a degree and I'll still have to pay my loans. I like my degree, it's just general stress+workload and lack of face to face support.
Nope. I'm 3 years in and although I've lost a chunk of an important part of my degree (the year abroad - I do languages and it has been postponed till March) I still wouldn't quit/defer now. I love my subject and although all this online stuff is a pain, things could be a lot worse so I feel like I can't complain.
So ignoring the no-longer-at-university answers, it looks like a little above 30% of people have either dropped out or are seriously considering.

That's unsurprising, given how few people make it all the way through online-only degrees. Makes sense.
Original post by britishbutspicy
I'm seriously stressed, but I need a degree and I'll still have to pay my loans. I like my degree, it's just general stress+workload and lack of face to face support.

Don't drop out!! You can do it <3
Also, what a coincidence, I didn't think I'd bump into you on here lol
I'm in my 3rd year and I'm really struggling, I've got an anxiety disorder and it's just got so much worse during the pandemic and zoom uni really isn't helping. I'm so far behind on my coursework already... While I'm not dropping out (it's my final year, after all), I was expecting a first/high 2.1 after second year but I really don't see that happening now :s-smilie:

Most others I know are struggling well, be it mental health, finances or feeling lonely. It's just a crap year for us all :frown:
Final year of uni and honestly struggling. Online classes are terrifying, barely keeping up with workload bc everything is everywhere, I am nowhere near ready to write a dissertation. I was excited to come back after an awful last year (year abroad, interrupted bc mental health took a nosedive) but it's not exactly started well.

But it's final year so I can't really do anything but just stick with it
Original post by Popsiclez
I am. I'm just waiting for first year to be over so I can get out of this stupid contract. Zoom University and forcing myself to smile through the pain just isn't working for me. I'm looking at doing an apprenticeship instead so that at least I'm actually earning money while I learn. Maybe I'm just someone who likes instant gratification

OMG same!!! I literally looking at apprenticeships as well, I just get paid tbh. Idk if this online uni thing is for me, and i cba to wait and see.
i haven't considered dropping out. i'm too invested in it and i was too excited to come!

i don't mind 'all online' - prerecorded lectures are a blessing when you don't understand something and want to replay it - and you can watch it whenever suits you!

online seminars suck but mine are in person every other week. the library is open so really not much of mine is intense 'all online' :yep:
I don't think I will, but I would be lying if I said the thought had not crossed my mind.

Part of my reason for coming to University was to make some friends (I was cripplingly lonely at home), and due to COVID there really havent been any chances to naturally meet people in person. Talking to people on Discord or Zoom is not the same unfortunately.

Plus, I've been finding the course particularly difficult in certain areas, and have been struggling to find solutions with lecturers over email due to how long it can take to back and forth.

But I love the area that i'm trying to get into. I think I will tough it out this year.
Reply 17
I agree
Original post by Anonymous
Reply 18
Original post by StrawberryDreams
What Mesopotamian. has said here is spot on - this thread is for students finding things a bit difficult at the moment and have considered dropping out.

We have another thread here for people to share their experiences more generally if you want to get involved! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6754786

If that's the case then it's strange to include this poll on the front page of TSR:

As others have said it's a negatively biased poll and it feels like you are telling all students to consider dropping out of uni!
Anyone from UCL, Kings, Imperial or Oxbridge planning on dropping out?

Quick Reply

Latest