The Student Room Group

Is clearing 2020 over

I applied through clearing for portsmouth and submitted the online form about 20 minutes ago, however today seems to be the deadline for clearing.

Does this mean there is no hope for me to start at the uni now this year.
I mean it is really highly unlikely for both unis to accept it unless they have places. Most unis will have all places filled in by now. Like i know people that applied on results day and got put on the waiting list for their course. Now they have started the course but had to catch up on a few weeks of work. You should've applied as soon as clearing was live or at least had an idea of where you would like to apply. Sorry mate but your chances are really slim.
Original post by askayoi
I applied through clearing for portsmouth and submitted the online form about 20 minutes ago, however today seems to be the deadline for clearing.

Does this mean there is no hope for me to start at the uni now this year.

If they accepted the form then they have to consider it.

Why are you so late.

Imo I would apply for next year, considering the reports of how uni is going due to CV19.
I think unless you had some discussion with them before referring yourself, the chances are very slim.
Original post by dj_ad_1
I mean it is really highly unlikely for both unis to accept it unless they have places. Most unis will have all places filled in by now. Like i know people that applied on results day and got put on the waiting list for their course. Now they have started the course but had to catch up on a few weeks of work. You should've applied as soon as clearing was live or at least had an idea of where you would like to apply. Sorry mate but your chances are really slim.

You are not wrong lmao. I'm a dumb ass and I left it so late, but I feel so bored and depressed doing nothing at home. My whole plan was to apply for apprenticeships instead of going to uni this year because covid, but i lack the motivation to even do that.
Original post by 999tigger
If they accepted the form then they have to consider it.

Why are you so late.

Imo I would apply for next year, considering the reports of how uni is going due to CV19.

I had a unconditional for Bournemouth that I chose to defer to next year due to Covid. I was planning on getting an apprenticeship instead but I am so hopeless and unmotivated I literally cannot even apply for these. All I'm doing is working at sainsburys part time. Im already 19 because I had to restart college, I dont want to be another year behind everyone else...
Original post by askayoi
I had a unconditional for Bournemouth that I chose to defer to next year due to Covid. I was planning on getting an apprenticeship instead but I am so hopeless and unmotivated I literally cannot even apply for these. All I'm doing is working at sainsburys part time. Im already 19 because I had to restart college, I dont want to be another year behind everyone else...

The smart move is 2021. It isnt a race. Resit exams to get better grades.
The smart move is 2021. It isnt a race. Resit exams to get better grades.

my grades are fine, and they were BTECs. I dont think i would even be allowed to anyway as I have used up my 3 years of college education. What can I do in that time?
Original post by askayoi
You are not wrong lmao. I'm a dumb ass and I left it so late, but I feel so bored and depressed doing nothing at home. My whole plan was to apply for apprenticeships instead of going to uni this year because covid, but i lack the motivation to even do that.

You could phone up the saying you want to defer your entry for next year. If you currently meet the entry requirements, they will hold your offer for next year. If you don't meet the entry requirements, your probably better of taking exams next year and applying with those for 2021 entry. You would be up against the current year 13 cohort so even that does not guarantee you an offer but it makes the options that you currently have more wider. Hope this helps.
Original post by askayoi
my grades are fine, and they were BTECs. I dont think i would even be allowed to anyway as I have used up my 3 years of college education. What can I do in that time?

Go work full time and save money.
You dont think you can do better than Bournemouth? Is it for animation?
Go work full time and save money.
You dont think you can do better than Bournemouth? Is it for animation?

The course at Bournemouth was Business Information Technology. Although they allow you to switch to other computing courses as they share a common first year.

I ended up accepting their unconditional all the way back in December 2019 because I tunnel visioned onto that uni because it was the only one I visited that I applied to.

My results were D*DM, obviously I won't be able to get into a russel group, but I could at least get into East Anglia.

THe issue now for me is that I feel very bored and depressed at home, I don't want to wait 11 more months to do something.

I guess I will just have to see what Portsmouth say, although its highly unlikely I can actually start late, and if i do I'm sure that I will be facing a plethora of different issues.
Have you tried doing some online courses to pass time? Programming for example.
Original post by askayoi
The course at Bournemouth was Business Information Technology. Although they allow you to switch to other computing courses as they share a common first year.

I ended up accepting their unconditional all the way back in December 2019 because I tunnel visioned onto that uni because it was the only one I visited that I applied to.

My results were D*DM, obviously I won't be able to get into a russel group, but I could at least get into East Anglia.

THe issue now for me is that I feel very bored and depressed at home, I don't want to wait 11 more months to do something.

I guess I will just have to see what Portsmouth say, although its highly unlikely I can actually start late, and if i do I'm sure that I will be facing a plethora of different issues.

Nope I think you could get into RG.
Anyway your life and your choice, but imo a foolish naive move. Hope it works for you.
Nope I think you could get into RG.
Anyway your life and your choice, but imo a foolish naive move. Hope it works for you.

To try and start uni a month late you mean?
Original post by askayoi
To try and start uni a month late you mean?

Yes.
Yes.

Is it better to wait until next year? It would mean being 20 with 18 year olds.
Original post by askayoi

It would be better to wait until next year. Take a look at the University life forum on TSR - lots of people who started uni this year are unhappy because it is all online and they are lonely and bored.

You are lucky that you have a job - just ask to increase your hours and start saving money for next year. Plus you could submit a new UCAS form to see if you can get into a better uni if you are having doubts about Bournemouth. Lots of people start uni at 19, 20 and older.
Original post by askayoi

Hi, I just wanted to chip in and say that 20 is nothing to be worried about. No one cares about age difference at uni and TBH 2 years isn't much and there will be plenty of students older than you. Uni is really different to school in that respect.

I would suggest starting next year too, whatever the outcome. If you're concerned about filling the time try to look for new hobbies, online courses (even the free open uni ones), volunteering, joining networking forums/groups etc and if you're feeling that your mental health is suffering try to get more exercise and take care of your nutrition and sleep too, if you're really concerned give your GP a call.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest