The Student Room Group

Oxford law

i’m a y12 student interested in pursuing a career in law. i got 10 9s at gcse and am doing bio chem rs german alevel (predicted a*)

i play piano, volunteer, dance, mentor, gold d of e; am in process of organising work experience for law; and will hopefully apply to uniq summer school at oxford for law
as well as reading etc before my personal statement

do i have a shot at getting into oxford?? and what else would i need (orher than good lnat)
are my alevels not suited to law?? - my biggest concern

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Why bio & chem?
Law does not require any specific subjects at Law - you could be doing 3 science or 3 art/music subjects, both would be fine, its just the high grades that are important.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Law does not require any specific subjects at Law - you could be doing 3 science or 3 art/music subjects, both would be fine, its just the high grades that are important.

thanks!! i recognise thats the case for law but i meant oxford in particular- since rs is a weak subject and my only essay subject
Reply 4
Original post by Tracheostenosis
Why bio & chem?

i like them tbh - and idk if i want to do med or law, when i decide i’ll drop one!!
Original post by sreddy
i like them tbh - and idk if i want to do med or law, when i decide i’ll drop one!!

As always says

If your option is medicine or something else, do something else!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
As @ecolier always says

If your option is medicine or something else, do something else!

i’m just concerned about the fact people who do law tend to take english and history- and i hated these subjects- maybe law isn’t for me??
Original post by sreddy
i’m just concerned about the fact people who do law tend to take english and history- and i hated these subjects- maybe law isn’t for me??

Then it isn’t
Original post by sreddy

Although it may seem like Law has no requirements, you’d need to have atleast some sort of passion for English / reading in general to be able to cope, but since you got a 9 in English Language? Maybe you could, who knows?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Although it may seem like Law has no requirements, you’d need to have atleast some sort of passion for English / reading in general to be able to cope, but since you got a 9 in English Language? Maybe you could, who knows?

it’s not reading i dislike- like i said, i take religious studies and i have no problem getting tuck into a good book about philosophy; i just disliked analysing books in english no clue why: i’m taking german where we study a book and film: i genuinely enjoy reading up on topics i enjoy! but tbh all uni degrees involve reading! i just meant me not liking english as a subject
Reply 10

are my subjects weak to get into law at oxford??
Original post by sreddy
are my subjects weak to get into law at oxford??

Nah
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Nah

thanks!! i genuinely thought not takign history or english would be a disadvantage
Original post by sreddy
thanks!! i genuinely thought not takign history or english would be a disadvantage

It wouldn’t but, taking biology or chemistry is harder than taking English
Original post by sreddy
i’m a y12 student interested in pursuing a career in law. i got 10 9s at gcse and am doing bio chem rs german alevel (predicted a*)

i play piano, volunteer, dance, mentor, gold d of e; am in process of organising work experience for law; and will hopefully apply to uniq summer school at oxford for law
as well as reading etc before my personal statement

do i have a shot at getting into oxford?? and what else would i need (orher than good lnat)
are my alevels not suited to law?? - my biggest concern

thanks

Oxford Law student here. As long as you got History, Econ, Sociology, Politics, English lit among your subjects you are fine. I got in with 4A* (History, Econ, Sociology, Italian) and 35 in the LNAT. Reading and supercurriculars are way more important than volunteering, music and d of e, they simply don't care about extracurriculars at all. I suggest an EPQ about a law topic you are interested in. E.g. the 2020 Coronavirus Act. Good luck
Reply 15
Original post by lancpe2002
Oxford Law student here. As long as you got History, Econ, Sociology, Politics, English lit among your subjects you are fine. I got in with 4A* (History, Econ, Sociology, Italian) and 35 in the LNAT. Reading and supercurriculars are way more important than volunteering, music and d of e, they simply don't care about extracurriculars at all. I suggest an EPQ about a law topic you are interested in. E.g. the 2020 Coronavirus Act. Good luck

i dont take any of thise :frown:
Reply 16
It wouldn’t but, taking biology or chemistry is harder than taking English

haha i find them much much easier and would deffo get a better grade than in english
Original post by sreddy
haha i find them much much easier and would deffo get a better grade than in english

Did you get a 9 in English Language?
Reply 18
Did you get a 9 in English Language?

yeah i got a 9 for all my subjects
Original post by sreddy
yeah i got a 9 for all my subjects

Definitely look into some law books, maybe experiment between medicine & law and see which you prefer. Chances are that you’d probably like medicine more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending