The Student Room Group

Medicine or Law?-Too late to do further A-Levels?

Hi guys, I'm currently in Yr13 studying Biology, Chemistry and physics. I sent away my UCAS application for Medicine at Oxford,UCL,Imperial and BMSM a couple of days ago and I'm seriously regretting it.My predicted grades right now are A*A*A and I got 9A** grades as GCSE.So basically I've been doing alot more research on medicine and what studying it will mean for me in the future and I'm kinda unsure of whether I truly want to do it or not. I have a real passion for law and I was actually taking it as a 4th A-level until I dropped it because of stress late yr12. I was wondering whether it would be possible, after my graduation from sixth form, to take a gap year and learn the whole History and Law A-Levels and then apply for law? I really dont know what to do right now so any advice would really help. Thanks
Reply 1
Hi guys, I'm currently in Yr13 studying Biology, Chemistry and physics. I sent away my UCAS application for Medicine at Oxford,UCL,Imperial and BMSM a couple of days ago and I'm seriously regretting it.My predicted grades right now are A*A*A and I got 9A** grades as GCSE.So basically I've been doing alot more research on medicine and what studying it will mean for me in the future and I'm kinda unsure of whether I truly want to do it or not. I have a real passion for law and I was actually taking it as a 4th A-level until I dropped it because of stress late yr12. I was wondering whether it would be possible, after my graduation from sixth form, to take a gap year and learn the whole History and Law A-Levels and then apply for law? I really dont know what to do right now so any advice would really help. Thanks
This really depends on your school. It would be insanely difficult to learn 2 A Levels in a year as you would have to learn alot yourself especially as it is so different to what you are doing now.

I would say go to your teachers and ask for their advice and see if there is anything they would suggest you do. It probably is possible as you seem very studious but just check with your college to see what they say.
Reply 3
You don't need specific A-levels for Law. You can do anything.
You can do law with 3 science a levels. I assume you may also be able to withdraw your medicine app form and try for law. Isn’t there a 14 day change mind? Or go through clearing? Seems mad you have to lose out of any place in a years time!
CAEC5A39-C355-4C88-9E7C-C764A6FA883A.jpg.jpeg
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine1973
You can do law with 3 science a levels. I assume you may also be able to withdraw your medicine app form and try for law. Isn’t there a 14 day change mind? Or go through clearing? Seems mad you have to lose out of any place in a years time!

Thanks for the quick reply and yeah I did consider that however it's not really an option as based I havent done any work experience or a personal statement for law. Furthermore I would preferably like to apply for a top law school (Oxford/UCL) as I truly belive I'm capable based on my GCSEs and current A-Level performance , however this wont be possible through clearing.
Reply 7
You do NOT need A level law to study law at Uni!!!
Original post by T.Sanya11

Hi, i just came across this thread and i appreciate that this was 4 months ago but i was wondering what you did in the end? did you stick with medicine or change to law or even did the gap year option? also, congrats on those predicted grades and your GCSEs, they are really good! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest