The Student Room Group

how to deal with the depression of vision loss

I was always visually impaired from birth but it affected me quite mildly. I was used to the vision i had and didnt know different

Then about a year and a half ago my vision got worse. I was quite sad however i started getting adjustments

However over recent months my vision had got way worse

Vision is now 20/600

I went back to high school after lockdown cant read or write because of vision loss adjusting however i am still upset and am depressed

Sorry for the rant
I'm really sorry you are going through this, it must be really hard on top of all the other things you have to deal with as a teenager.

Do you live in the UK? There are charities out there that provide support for people with visual impairment - e.g. Royal Society for Blind Children, Royal National Institute for the Blind. There might also be local charities where you live. Things are a bit tricky due to covid right now, but these might still be able to put your in touch with other people of a similar age to you who might be going through similar things, plus provide you will information and support. Is there anyone at home or at school you can speak to about how you are feeling?
Original post by black tea
I'm really sorry you are going through this, it must be really hard on top of all the other things you have to deal with as a teenager.

Do you live in the UK? There are charities out there that provide support for people with visual impairment - e.g. Royal Society for Blind Children, Royal National Institute for the Blind. There might also be local charities where you live. Things are a bit tricky due to covid right now, but these might still be able to put your in touch with other people of a similar age to you who might be going through similar things, plus provide you will information and support. Is there anyone at home or at school you can speak to about how you are feeling?

im already supported by rnib and other charities

i just feel crap and depressed at the minute my school are providing support but it is the uncertanty and the fact i cant play games i love easily
Original post by Computerbot212
im already supported by rnib and other charities

i just feel crap and depressed at the minute my school are providing support but it is the uncertanty and the fact i cant play games i love easily

do you have any visually impaired friends you might be able to talk to? they might have some ideas about how you can continue to play the games? do you have any siblings who might be willing to help you play?
Original post by black tea
do you have any visually impaired friends you might be able to talk to? they might have some ideas about how you can continue to play the games? do you have any siblings who might be willing to help you play?

no vi friends but i do have siblings who i try my best to play the video games they like but i dont enjoy them, find them hard

only play to please them

probaly should find new hobbies
Reply 5
It might be worth getting therapy to help adjust to it. Sorry to hear you're struggling so much though, even if it is a logical reaction.

Disabled Gamers is something worth looking at as well, it looks at different games in the context of various disabilities (including VI). Reddit is somewhere to look at for community as well.

If talking would help, I'm open to listening. Disability sucks, and whilst I'm not visually impaired I can relate on being unable to do the hobbies you once did or having to adapt them significantly to be able to participate with new/worsening limitations.

Look after yourself and be kind to yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest