The Student Room Group

Gcse grades to a level grades

what grade did you get at gcse for the subjects you do / did at A level , and what A level grade did you achieve?

Scroll to see replies

Maths : 7
Double science 8-8
Alevels predicted : AAA (maths,chem,Biology)
A Levels: maths (A*), biology (A*) and chemistry (A*)
GCSEs: all three A*
Reply 3
Original post by Tracheostenosis
Maths : 7
Double science 8-8
Alevels predicted : AAA (maths,chem,Biology)

Those are good!
Reply 4
Original post by Mesopotamian.
A Levels: maths (A*), biology (A*) and chemistry (A*)
GCSEs: all three A*

Those are amazing! How did you revise for them? I’m thinking of doing the exact same subjects
for gcse, I got 9’s for maths all year, but a 7 in the real thing :frown:
but probably best advice I can give (not a generic answer) is to just listen in class, ask your teacher if you need extra help on a topic, honestly.
Reply 6
GCSE
9 maths English language
8 English literature
A* Physics Biology Chemistry Geography History computer science Statistics
A German

Alevel
A* Maths Further maths physics biology
A chemistry

Now studying maths at Warwick.
Reply 7
Original post by Ed H
GCSE
9 maths English language
8 English literature
A* Physics Biology Chemistry Geography History computer science Statistics
A German

Alevel
A* Maths Further maths physics biology
A chemistry

Now studying maths at Warwick.

Good job! 5 A levels ?
Reply 8
Yes 5 Alevels. Bad choice as really draining.
4 is doable if ur commited. Biggest tip is work hard in year 12 (but not out of ur mind hard). Be confident on year 12 before year 13.
Reply 9
Original post by Ed H
4 is doable if ur commited. Biggest tip is work hard in year 12 (but not out of ur mind hard). Be confident on year 12 before year 13.

A*A*A*A*A ?

You’ve broke the records man😂😂😂😂😂😂

What are your tips? How did you revise what the hell😂
Original post by Ed H

What did you get at AS level ?
Gcse maths 8
Chemistry A*
Biology A*

A level maths A
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Original post by LouismmmmB
Gcse maths 8
Chemistry A*
Biology A*

A level maths A
Chemistry A*
Biology A*

So A* at GCSE and A* at A level

I get 6 in maths GCSE, does this mean I will get an A at A level maths? Or B
Reply 13
I didn’t do AS levels. But got 4A* and an A in my end of year 12 mocks.
Original post by Ed H
I didn’t do AS levels. But got 4A* and an A in my end of year 12 mocks.

Year 13 you mean?
Reply 15
Hi. I took a gap year so actually got a chance to teach and tutor sixth formers so I’m do know what it’s like to be student with the new exam system and also teach them. For tips for doing well at A-level:
1. Work hard in Y12. U can not and still do really well, but Y13 steps up in terms of difficulty for science and maths based subjects. So u want to be really secure on your Y12 content before starting year 13. So many people don’t use Y12 effectively as it does not matter especially now all exams are at the end of Y13.
2. Use your free periods. It’s ok to have some time off, but u should use most if not all ur free periods doing revision, HW, practise questions etc.
3. Ask questions. Revising something is much easier if u understand it. If u don’t ask now and not later as it’s likely to occur more than once.
4. Ask for help from friends and teachers.
5. If u are struggling emotionally or feel like ur not good enough, talk to someone. It’s very common as Alevels are a step up, but you are capable if u did well at GCSE.

Overall: work hard consistently (but not too hard) and ask for help.
Reply 16
No I got the same at the end of year 12 and year 13.
I got 4A* and an A.
In the same subjects as above.
Original post by Ed H
Hi. I took a gap year so actually got a chance to teach and tutor sixth formers so I’m do know what it’s like to be student with the new exam system and also teach them. For tips for doing well at A-level:
1. Work hard in Y12. U can not and still do really well, but Y13 steps up in terms of difficulty for science and maths based subjects. So u want to be really secure on your Y12 content before starting year 13. So many people don’t use Y12 effectively as it does not matter especially now all exams are at the end of Y13.
2. Use your free periods. It’s ok to have some time off, but u should use most if not all ur free periods doing revision, HW, practise questions etc.
3. Ask questions. Revising something is much easier if u understand it. If u don’t ask now and not later as it’s likely to occur more than once.
4. Ask for help from friends and teachers.
5. If u are struggling emotionally or feel like ur not good enough, talk to someone. It’s very common as Alevels are a step up, but you are capable if u did well at GCSE.

Overall: work hard consistently (but not too hard) and ask for help.

Ahhhh! Thank you for this detailed response! I appreciate it so much
Reply 18
Just to add also, if u don’t find the step up too much. That’s a good thing and don’t feel like ur not doing enough work. If u find it ok - that’s the perfect position to be in as it keeps u on ur toes and I still do well without a huge worry.
Original post by Ed H
Just to add also, if u don’t find the step up too much. That’s a good thing and don’t feel like ur not doing enough work. If u find it ok - that’s the perfect position to be in as it keeps u on ur toes and I still do well without a huge worry.

How exactly do you tackle questions then? Let’s say if you learnt something, how do you then apply it?
Do you do summary questions in the textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest