The Student Room Group

so worried about this stomach thing

The upper part of my stomach has been hurting since yesterday night, it was so bad during the night I don't think I slept at all. I've also had nausea when I was making my lunch. I had the urge to vomit but just spit was coming out. I didn't have breakfast because I don't usually so for brunch I had toast and boiled eggs with green tea with a bit of honey and haldi and a banana (not sure what haldi is in English it's some kind of powder that's good for you especially when added with honey) and I felt a lot better after lunch, the pain lessened and completely disappeared but then it started getting bad again but not as bad as yesterday night. For dinner I'm having brown rice and green tea again with honey and haldi. I also had a glass of mango juice with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar because my mum said it would help. After the mango juice the pain has gone down again and after dinner I'm using a hot water bottle throughout the night. Hopefully will get some sleep tonight. Anyone had this, any idea on anything else that will help. I'm so worried about this, I hope it's nothing serious and goes away soon. At first I thought it was period pain but it's much worse than that and is on my upper stomach which isn't where period pain is and my period isn't due for another week. I hope I don't need to see a doctor if it continues. I get so anxious when seeing a doctor

Scroll to see replies

Could just be a tummy bug or something. Hope you feel better soon!
Theres no harm in calling the doctor. Its likely to be something simple. You could have pulled your side or slept funny and bruised your inside, causing it to ache. With it being at night, you could have trapped wind. It usually happens in babies in the form of colic in the evenings, but can happen in adults as well. And trapped wind can happen at various parts of your intestines, and quite painful after you had anything to eat. Peppermint tea, drinking warm water throughout the day can help, or something like windeze can help.
I would still call the doctor of course and describe your pain to them, and they will be able to help more :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ghostlady
Theres no harm in calling the doctor. Its likely to be something simple. You could have pulled your side or slept funny and bruised your inside, causing it to ache. With it being at night, you could have trapped wind. It usually happens in babies in the form of colic in the evenings, but can happen in adults as well. And trapped wind can happen at various parts of your intestines, and quite painful after you had anything to eat. Peppermint tea, drinking warm water throughout the day can help, or something like windeze can help.
I would still call the doctor of course and describe your pain to them, and they will be able to help more :smile:

Original post by black tea
Could just be a tummy bug or something. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, I hope it is just a tummy bug.
Might have been something you ate or just a bug! Maybe give it tonight and if it still hurts tomorrow morning call up your doctor or go to a pop-in clinic.
It won't be anything serious but they'll be able to prescribe medicine to make it go away sooner :smile:
Until then make sure to eat plain food (toast, rice) and drink lots of water. Also go to bed early and try to get to sleep since I'm sure you'll be exhausted!
Get well soon :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostlady

I did think it was trapped wind or something after googling it or bloating but not really sure what it so it wouldn't be wise to have windeze. The pain is a little less so it is getting better. If it gets worse then I'll call my doctor but hoping it goes away within a few days. I actually have some peppermint tea at home so I'll give that a try tomorrow thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
The upper part of my stomach has been hurting since yesterday night, it was so bad during the night I don't think I slept at all. I've also had nausea when I was making my lunch. I had the urge to vomit but just spit was coming out. I didn't have breakfast because I don't usually so for brunch I had toast and boiled eggs with green tea with a bit of honey and haldi and a banana (not sure what haldi is in English it's some kind of powder that's good for you especially when added with honey) and I felt a lot better after lunch, the pain lessened and completely disappeared but then it started getting bad again but not as bad as yesterday night. For dinner I'm having brown rice and green tea again with honey and haldi. I also had a glass of mango juice with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar because my mum said it would help. After the mango juice the pain has gone down again and after dinner I'm using a hot water bottle throughout the night. Hopefully will get some sleep tonight. Anyone had this, any idea on anything else that will help. I'm so worried about this, I hope it's nothing serious and goes away soon. At first I thought it was period pain but it's much worse than that and is on my upper stomach which isn't where period pain is and my period isn't due for another week. I hope I don't need to see a doctor if it continues. I get so anxious when seeing a doctor

It could just be a weird bug and should hopefully pass in the next day or two. When I had pain in my upper stomach, my doctor said it was likely a stomach ulcer and I took some tablets (which you can get similar over-the-counter too). Hopefully it's just a bug for you but if the pain does get worse or doesn't go away, please seem medical help.
Reply 7
Original post by chloenix
Might have been something you ate or just a bug! Maybe give it tonight and if it still hurts tomorrow morning call up your doctor or go to a pop-in clinic.
It won't be anything serious but they'll be able to prescribe medicine to make it go away sooner :smile:
Until then make sure to eat plain food (toast, rice) and drink lots of water. Also go to bed early and try to get to sleep since I'm sure you'll be exhausted!
Get well soon :smile:

Thanks it is a bit better so I'm hoping it will continue getting better and go away without needing any medicine but I will call my doctor tomorrow if there's no change.
Reply 8
Original post by DrawTheLine
It could just be a weird bug and should hopefully pass in the next day or two. When I had pain in my upper stomach, my doctor said it was likely a stomach ulcer and I took some tablets (which you can get similar over-the-counter too). Hopefully it's just a bug for you but if the pain does get worse or doesn't go away, please seem medical help.

I hope it is just a bug too but I will call my doctor if it doesn't or gets worse, thanks 😊
Reply 9
You can always ring 111 for reassurance if that would help.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/nhs-111/
Update: dinner made the pain go down a lot but after a while gone bad again and still is. I can't sleep, looks like this will be the second night of not sleeping, I'll call my gp when they open in a couple hours. Hot water bottle isn't really helping, still a lot of pain. I'm really worried, I don't want to die 😭
Try drinking peppermint tea, do you feel bloated, like you always have to burp a little?
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
Try drinking peppermint tea, do you feel bloated, like you always have to burp a little?

No I haven't really burped. It's too late to drink tea now it's 2am.
No I haven't really burped. It's too late to drink tea now it's 2am.

if you are not sleeping anyway and if it might help, why not try it?
Ginger tea helps me if I have a stomach ache. Just add hot water to some fresh ginger and let it cool, or add a bit of cold water.
Reply 15
If it's been going on for a couple of days now, I would advise ringing the surgery.
Original post by black tea
if you are not sleeping anyway and if it might help, why not try it?

I managed a little sleep but pain is still there, it was really bad at night, the worse so far. I didn't have any peppermint tea last night couldn't get out of bed so I'm having herbal tea again now then I'm calling my gp. I can't go on much longer of this 😭
Not sure if it has been mentioned but the symptoms you describe sound like Helicobacter Pylori.

This is very common and the majority of the western world have this but only sometimes does it cause issues and show symptoms.

I had this. You’d be best calling the GP, they make you do a stool sample and then you take some antibiotics and a few other tablets.

It’s very easily treated.
Original post by Kerzen
If it's been going on for a couple of days now, I would advise ringing the surgery.

I'm just about to, hopefully they'll prescribe something and I won't have to go in, I don't think I could manage to get ready in time or get there even though it's the next road opposite my house and I'm not sure how I'll get to the chemist not sure where the nearest one is, moved house a couple of months ago and haven't really been around the area so don't know it well.
Not sure if it has been mentioned but the symptoms you describe sound like Helicobacter Pylori.

This is very common and the majority of the western world have this but only sometimes does it cause issues and show symptoms.

I had this. You’d be best calling the GP, they make you do a stool sample and then you take some antibiotics and a few other tablets.

It’s very easily treated.

If it is that the I don't think I could give them a stool sample today. I've already done it today and doubt I'll do it again. I'm just about to call them so we'll see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest