The Student Room Group

Edexcel ial oct 2020 physics unit 4 new spec

How was it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it really difficult. I had to leave questions worth of 15 marks blank including the wierd momentum question. Hoping the geade boundaries to be low, plus I heard that A levels grade boundaries will be lowered compared to the past years due to pandemic. How did you find it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Same. Left 15 marks worth of questions untouched cause of the momentum question (including it). Couldn't touch the last two pages and did some more mistakes while in a hurry. I'm feeling so messed up rn and having an anxiety attack cause I've never found u4 hard and got like A*s for most past papers. I'm sure both my vector diagrams are wrong cause I didn't even know what the heck to draw in the cloud chamber question.And I'm pretty sure I did the centripetal force question correctly but I didn't get an answer anywhere close to 3s. It was like 1.8 and I actually did it twice wasting more time. Well it's useless whining now but I hope they'll lower the grade boundaries this time or else 2020 is gonna suck even more.
How were the chem u4 and bio u4(if you did) for you guys? I found the chem paper relatively easy and bio was okay
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by furu_amr
I found it really difficult. I had to leave questions worth of 15 marks blank including the wierd momentum question. Hoping the geade boundaries to be low, plus I heard that A levels grade boundaries will be lowered compared to the past years due to pandemic. How did you find it?

It was very hard but i think I did well overall.
Reply 4
Original post by Dasun Sirimewan
Same. Left 15 marks worth of questions untouched cause of the momentum question (including it). Couldn't touch the last two pages and did some more mistakes while in a hurry. I'm feeling so messed up rn and having an anxiety attack cause I've never found u4 hard and got like A*s for most past papers. I'm sure both my vector diagrams are wrong cause I didn't even know what the heck to draw in the cloud chamber question.And I'm pretty sure I did the centripetal force question correctly but I didn't get an answer anywhere close to 3s. It was like 1.8 and I actually did it twice wasting more time. Well it's useless whining now but I hope they'll lower the grade boundaries this time or else 2020 is gonna suck even more.
How were the chem u4 and bio u4(if you did) for you guys? I found the chem paper relatively easy and bio was okay

It was hard but decent. tbf it was the hardest U4 paper by far. Especially the monemtum question and moments
yeah. What I'm most frustrated about is the fact that I ran I out of time trying to figure out the momentum question which I couldn't.
Reply 6
yeah. What I'm most frustrated about is the fact that I ran I out of time trying to figure out the momentum question which I couldn't.

Which part exactly? The calculation?
Reply 7
Anyone here who did old specification?
Reply 8

And what's more dreadful and terrifying was that fact that they asked questions related to AS units. I wasn't buckled up for that.
And what's more dreadful and terrifying was that fact that they asked questions related to AS units. I wasn't buckled up for that.

yeah. same. I'm pretty sure I lost all my marks on the vector diagrams. Not sure if the moment answer was right either. I did read the standing wave question and I knew it was about constructive interference but I had no time to right it. The two candidates on my either side were still righting after the time was up😂. Also do you think they deduct marks for spelling errors? I think I wrote annihalation instead of annihilation.
Original post by 21stylish
Which part exactly? The calculation?

The vector diagram took alot of time and I still couldn't figure out what to draw and yeah the calculation too. Zero marks for both
Original post by sw20
Anyone here who did old specification?

Yeah. How was it? I found it okay
(edited 3 years ago)
how do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be this time?
i wrote for the moment question something like 0.1, but I am not sure, the exam was hard asf, it was not only the hardest unit 4 paper, but it was the hardest exam I ever did, it was too long as well, I didn't know how to derive the equation that shows v^2/r=a or the ****ing momentum question, and the vector as well.

better be low asf, for the jan 2020 paper, the grade boundaries were 61/90 for A*, and this exam was way harder, so it must be even lower
yeah. same. I'm pretty sure I lost all my marks on the vector diagrams. Not sure if the moment answer was right either. I did read the standing wave question and I knew it was about constructive interference but I had no time to right it. The two candidates on my either side were still righting after the time was up😂. Also do you think they deduct marks for spelling errors? I think I wrote annihalation instead of annihilation.

Lol i spent few minutes trying to remember what standing wave is but I knew i was just wasting my time so i went back answering the questions i left unanswered, few minutes after my paper was taken the peanut of a brain i have recalled what standing wave is.
I believe they will not deduct marks for that, i mean at least my teacher didn't care about my spellings and still marked it correct during my mocks cause she knows what i was trying to say. Though not 100% sure, still should be okay hopefully.

Since many candidates found it hard, and amidst the pandemic. It is safe to say that grade boundaries will be low though I dont want to have hope so I wont get disappointed but that's just my expectations.
Original post by moemen2002
better be low asf, for the jan 2020 paper, the grade boundaries were 61/90 for A*, and this exam was way harder, so it must be even lower

Have you done the Jan 2020 new spec paper? how hard is it comparing to this paper?
This is how i answered the derivation. Can anyone confirm or tell me how they did it?

F=ma & Fc=mv^2/r
⟹ma=mv^2/r
⟹a=v^2/r

Chemistry 4 was really easy for me too. There were many questions in the older papers that I have no idea about but the ones this year were mostly pretty standard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending