The Student Room Group

Strengths and weaknesses of multi store memory model

What is the strengths and weakness of the multi store memory model and the research that supports/case studies.
Original post by Briana5647
What is the strengths and weakness of the multi store memory model and the research that supports/case studies.

For case study use Atkinson and Shiffrin
Strengths:
There is a large base of research that supports the idea of distinct STM and LTM systems (e.g. brain-damaged case study patient KF’s STM was impaired following a motorcycle accident, but his LTM remained intact).
It makes sense that memories in the LTM are encoded semantically i.e. you might recall the general message put across in a political speech, rather than all of the words as they were heard.
The MSM was a pioneering model of memory that inspired further research and consequently other influential models, such as the Working Memory Model.

Weaknesses:
Some research into STM duration has low ecological validity, as the stimuli participants were asked to remember bear little resemblance to items learned in real life, e.g. Peterson and Peterson (1959) used nonsense trigrams such as ‘XQF’ to investigate STM duration.
The model is arguably over-simplified, as evidence suggests that there are multiple short and long-term memory stores, e.g. ‘LTM’ can be split into Episodic, Procedural and Semantic memory.
It does not make much sense to think of procedural memory (a type of LTM) as being encoded semantically, i.e. knowing how to ride a bike through its meaning.
It is only assumed that LTM has an unlimited capacity, as research has been unable to measure this accurately.
Reply 2
Original post by tbi_zlx
for case study use atkinson and shiffrin
strengths:
There is a large base of research that supports the idea of distinct stm and ltm systems (e.g. Brain-damaged case study patient kf’s stm was impaired following a motorcycle accident, but his ltm remained intact).
It makes sense that memories in the ltm are encoded semantically i.e. You might recall the general message put across in a political speech, rather than all of the words as they were heard.
The msm was a pioneering model of memory that inspired further research and consequently other influential models, such as the working memory model.

Weaknesses:
Some research into stm duration has low ecological validity, as the stimuli participants were asked to remember bear little resemblance to items learned in real life, e.g. Peterson and peterson (1959) used nonsense trigrams such as ‘xqf’ to investigate stm duration.
The model is arguably over-simplified, as evidence suggests that there are multiple short and long-term memory stores, e.g. ‘ltm’ can be split into episodic, procedural and semantic memory.
It does not make much sense to think of procedural memory (a type of ltm) as being encoded semantically, i.e. Knowing how to ride a bike through its meaning.
It is only assumed that ltm has an unlimited capacity, as research has been unable to measure this accurately.

thank you soo much!!
Original post by Briana5647
thank you soo much!!

No worriesss lemme if you need any help. Pm me if you do

Quick Reply

Latest