The Student Room Group

Audi for my first car

So I’m turning 20 July next year and I would like to buy myself my first car I have saved about 7k and my Dad said he will give me about 5-6k for my first car. Also Insurance I would probably go under my dads and he would pay half of it until the price drops down. I would like an Audi a1 or a3 but do you think I should go for a cheaper car.
Reply 1
Original post by Reianah
So I’m turning 20 July next year and I would like to buy myself my first car I have saved about 7k and my Dad said he will give me about 5-6k for my first car. Also Insurance I would probably go under my dads and he would pay half of it until the price drops down. I would like an Audi a1 or a3 but do you think I should go for a cheaper car.

You can't "go onto your dad's" insurance. It doesn't work like that.
if you have the money why not. treat yourself
You'll find very few people who would recommend spending £12-13k on your first car before insurance, even if you have the money in your pocket. You'd be much better off researching a runaround that's cheap to insure, and saving the most you can bear for a house deposit.

Not a sexy option but you'll be loads better off in 5-10 years compared to people who wanted a cool first car and threw money down the drain for the sake of 4000-5000 miles a year.
Original post by Reianah

Just because you can, doesn't mean it is the most wisest decision.

The fact you have had to save the £7K implies to me that getting a couple grand is not a trivial amount of money to you.

Why not spend £3-4K on something cheaper, & open a LISA and put the rest their. Its your choice, just what I would do...
I'm thinking of getting an A3 for my second car but for a first is a little much lol but if you have the money go for it, i much prefer the A3 over the A1,
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
You can't "go onto your dad's" insurance. It doesn't work like that.

I'm guessing he means as a named driver
Reply 7
Original post by roo02
I'm guessing he means as a named driver

Which doesn't work in this instance.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Which doesn't work in this instance

wouldn't it? Dad phones up to add son as named driver, they say 'yes but we'll increase your policy by x amount'; son pays the extra cost
Reply 9
Original post by roo02
wouldn't it? Dad phones up to add son as named driver, they say 'yes but we'll increase your policy by x amount'; son pays the extra cost

You're missing the obvious - the father isn't already insured on the car given it's.. not his..?
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
You're missing the obvious - the father isn't already insured on the car given it's.. not his..?

oh **** of course hahaha

Yeah sorry you're right that makes no sense
I have an A1 as my first car but that's only because my Nan had saved up money for me since I was a baby. I also managed to get a good deal on it, and I'm 27 with a years no claim discount so my insurance won't be as much compared with a 20 year old. Otherwise I'd definitely be driving something a lot cheaper.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest