The Student Room Group

Worried about debit card

So I lost mu debit card, and I went and deactivated it online and let them know that I lost it, I received my new one today, but can someone still use my old one if they found it??

Am just worried if someone tried to use my old one
Not if you deactivated it
Reply 2
My dad said someone can easily forge it as it still showed my details on it which is getting me quite worried
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Agent456
My dad said someone can easily forge it as it still showed my details on it which is getting me quite worried

the bank will have thought of this :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
the bank will have thought of this

How do they tackle this?
How do they tackle this?

i am not a bank...

Except its been deactivated., so ask your dad whats the point in having a card that has been deactivated?
Was it contactless?
Have you checked your account and seen if someone was using it?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Except its been deactivated., so ask your dad whats the point in having a card that has been deactivated?
Was it contactless?
Have you checked your account and seen if someone was using it?

He said to me some dodgy people can take it and forge it and get into my account
How do they tackle this?

They ring your dad and ask for his expert advice.
He said to me some dodgy people can take it and forge it and get into my account

How would they do that? Ask him if he is talking about your mum or his friends.
Ask him how he knows this?
Ask him how they get round the card being deactivated?
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
How would they do that? Ask him if he is talking about your mum or his friends.
Ask him how he knows this?
Ask him how they get round the card being deactivated?

He said cus it still has my details on the card
Your new card will have different long card number to the old one - the bank will be able to tell which is being used and will decline transactions against the old one. Low value contactless, where they don't always check, may get through but won't be your problem as you told them you lost the card.
What details do you think they will use to forge things?

Except those details wont work? Ask him to demonstrate.

This is complete rubbish and he's talking about something he clearly knows nothing about. People lose debit cards frequently and it's not the end of the world, I've lost at least 2.

What details do they have on the card? Your name and old (now deactivated) card number. There's nothing that can be done with this information to get any of your money.
Your old card is invalid.

The only information the would-be fraudsters would have is your name and which bank you bank at, which they could frankly just as easily get by asking for your name or taking a picture and reverse googling it, while watching you go into the bank.

They can't do anything with an old card and any security checks will fail for them.

How hard is it to understand this T_T
So I lost mu debit card, and I went and deactivated it online and let them know that I lost it, I received my new one today, but can someone still use my old one if they found it??

I worked in card payments for over a decade.

Your old card is deactivated so now can't be used for chip and pin transactions, (even if they knew your pin). It could in theory be used for a few contactless transactions, but the liability is entirely with the merchants for those and not the cardholder. If you see anything unusual on your statement, you can advise your bank and get your money back, no quibbles.

Your CVC2 number on the back of your card is now different, so even if the long number on the front is the same, (and I have had a replacement card issued with identical details), anyone that finds your card cannot do a mail order / cardholder not present transaction either.

If the unlikely event that:

a) your long card number is the same
b) your card is found by someone with bad intentions
c) they find a merchant daft enough to take transaction without confirming the cvc2 number

The merchant is entirely liable, so you could just issue a chargeback to reclaim any money. Your bank already have it on record that your card was lost, which would further strengthen your case.

TLDR: You are not liable for any fraudulent transactions unless they are processed via chip and pin.
Original post by TheIrrational
This is complete rubbish and he's talking about something he clearly knows nothing about. People lose debit cards frequently and it's not the end of the world, I've lost at least 2.

What details do they have on the card? Your name and old (now deactivated) card number. There's nothing that can be done with this information to get any of your money.

You're missing two details that debit cards have, two details that also don't change. Account number and sort code.

Granted, I have no idea what people could do with those numbers and your name, but I'd say better safe than sorry rather than finding out.
Reply 17
Original post by TheMcSame
You're missing two details that debit cards have, two details that also don't change. Account number and sort code.

Granted, I have no idea what people could do with those numbers and your name, but I'd say better safe than sorry rather than finding out.

Beyond setting up direct debits (Jeremy Clarkson once posted his bank details in his newspaper column - take a look).. not a lot.

The direct debit guarantee would allow the OP to be refunded in this bizarre instance.

The card is deactivated so its fine. Forget about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending