The Student Room Group

How to set up a laptop?

I've read on Google if the laptop is new that you should charge the laptop for 24 hours so it gets a full charge but just after half an hour this laptop is on a full charge. should I leave it for 24 hours? Also is their anything I should disable or enable to give the laptop a better lifespan?
don't leave it for 24hrs
In terms of extending life span, I'm not too sure
Reply 3
Original post by PizzaMan2989
don't leave it for 24hrs

Okay thanks.
Original post by Seretonin
I've read on Google if the laptop is new that you should charge the laptop for 24 hours so it gets a full charge but just after half an hour this laptop is on a full charge. should I leave it for 24 hours? Also is their anything I should disable or enable to give the laptop a better lifespan?

No reason to keep it charging, many of the things you'll read about batteries and how you should charge them are pretty outdated. Technology is a lot smarter nowadays. Not to mention any differences are going to be neglible in the lifespan of a battery, and you'll no doubt need to replace it one day regardless.

What do you mean by lifespan? Do you mean the everyday battery life? Or the actual lifespan of the device?

For everyday battery life, the simplest things will be disabling unused features (Bluetooth for example) and reducing the display brightness. Things like WiFi drain power, but most people leave WiFi on as a convenience factor. Especially if you're always connected. At the end of the day though, batteries have a finite lifespan. Use the laptop less, charge it less, it'll last longer. But that doesn't help your productivity. It's a balancing act.

For general lifespan, it's more a matter of taking care of the device. Don't use it on the bed, and generally avoid any surfaces that will stifle the fans. Ideally stick to using the laptop on a desk for example. Don't just hibernate the device, actually shut it down once in a while. Be careful with it, don't chuck it in a bag, knock it around, etc. Really common sense stuff in all honesty.

And of course, make sure you have a backup of your files. In the unlikely event the laptop is stolen, lost or damaged, a cloud backup or regular backups on external hard drives can take away most of the stress.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AcseI
No reason to keep it charging, many of the things you'll read about batteries and how you should charge them are pretty outdated. Technology is a lot smarter nowadays. Not to mention any differences are going to be neglible in the lifespan of a battery, and you'll no doubt need to replace it one day regardless.

What do you mean by lifespan? Do you mean the everyday battery life? Or the actual lifespan of the device?

For everyday battery life, the simplest things will be disabling unused features (Bluetooth for example) and reducing the display brightness. Things like WiFi drain power, but most people leave WiFi on as a convenience factor. Especially if you're always connected. At the end of the day though, batteries have a finite lifespan. Use the laptop less, charge it less, it'll last longer. But that doesn't help your productivity. It's a balancing act.

For general lifespan, it's more a matter of taking care of the device. Don't use it on the bed, only use it on flat surfaces to avoid stifling the fans. Don't just hibernate the device, actually shut it down once in a while. Be careful with it, don't chuck it in a bag, knock it around, etc. Really common sense stuff in all honesty.

And of course, make sure you have a backup of your files. In the unlikely event the laptop is stolen, lost or damaged, a cloud backup or regular backups on external hard drives can take away most of the stress.

Thank you very much. In regards to lifespan I mean the battery life as when some people are setting up their laptop they go to their settings and turn off some settings and stuff but I'll just stick to the recommended ones.
Thank you very much. In regards to lifespan I mean the battery life as when some people are setting up their laptop they go to their settings and turn off some settings and stuff but I'll just stick to the recommended ones.

Also take the battery out if your never moving the laptop away from its position, its dumb to just leave it in 24/7 if u plan on never moving the laptop. also if u haven't already u can actually start ur laptop up and set it up without having it fully charged or whatever it really doesn't matter just boot it up and set it up. btw windows 10 has just released the 20H2 Update :smile: I just updated my computers with it today!! 😃😃😃😃😎😎😎
Original post by AcseI

For general lifespan, it's more a matter of taking care of the device. Don't use it on the bed, only use it on flat surfaces to avoid stifling the fans. Don't just hibernate the device, actually shut it down once in a while. Be careful with it, don't chuck it in a bag, knock it around, etc. Really common sense stuff in all honesty.

Why only use it on flat surfaces?

At the end of the day, anything your laptop does will result in some amount of battery drain. There's a lot of features you can turn off in Windows, but it basically comes down to "do I want this service running". How much effort you want to put into this is up to you, there's fundamentally nothing stopping you from going through every single setting in the list and deciding what you want turned on or off. But there's no magic setting that will just add an hour of battery life when you turn it off.
Original post by Theloniouss
Why only use it on flat surfaces?

Good spot, flat is not really the best descriptor here. I was thinking very general terms of using the laptop on a desk, more than using it on a bed for example. But there's no inherent need for the surface to be flat. Using it on your lap for example is fine if the fans can breathe. Will go edit accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending