The Student Room Group

do i have anxiety? please help...

Not asking for a diagnosis but I want to know if what I'm feeling is normal or symptoms of anxiety as I will be doing my a-level exams next year and would like to receive extra help if needed. So I'll give you a few scenarios as to what goes through my head in certain situations.1) when I am in class and we have a 10m break to snack or chill, I mentally battle my mind whether I should take out my snack and eat it or not bc I feel like everyone will look at what I'm eating and judge me (even thou ik they probably wont care) but i cant help it and im just so scared that everyone will look at me and i'll be the centre of attention. Especially with crisp packets they're the worse.2) similar situation can be applied to exam halls. Especially when i am at the front i feel as if everyone can see me and are just judging me etc. to the point where i feel very uncomfertable and flustered.3) when i am by myself, i cannot help but feel like everyone looks at me weirdly and just thinks the worst of me even when i don't know them.Honestly, IDK if this is normal or i just lack confidence (but i can talk to people 1-1 normally which doesn't make any sense).

Scroll to see replies

There’s definitely different types of anxiety, I know this because I can relate to everything you have said even with the being able to speak to people 1-1, I’m obviously not going to give you a diagnosis but I do think you should definitely look into getting help. I don’t think you would be wondering if this was normal if it was because you wouldn’t notice it as you wouldn’t feel uncomfortable, and it seems to me that you do feel uncomfortable which is a symptom of anxiety in itself.
Original post by Anonymous
There’s definitely different types of anxiety, I know this because I can relate to everything you have said even with the being able to speak to people 1-1, I’m obviously not going to give you a diagnosis but I do think you should definitely look into getting help. I don’t think you would be wondering if this was normal if it was because you wouldn’t notice it as you wouldn’t feel uncomfortable, and it seems to me that you do feel uncomfortable which is a symptom of anxiety in itself.

Thanks, I just don't know where to start and if it's even worth looking into (it does impact me but there's no point getting help if I'm told 'it's normal'). Its mostly just fighting my daily thoughts if you know what i mean. If u dont mind me asking do u have anxiety?
Original post by lollipoplady101
Not asking for a diagnosis but I want to know if what I'm feeling is normal or symptoms of anxiety as I will be doing my a-level exams next year and would like to receive extra help if needed. So I'll give you a few scenarios as to what goes through my head in certain situations.1) when I am in class and we have a 10m break to snack or chill, I mentally battle my mind whether I should take out my snack and eat it or not bc I feel like everyone will look at what I'm eating and judge me (even thou ik they probably wont care) but i cant help it and im just so scared that everyone will look at me and i'll be the centre of attention. Especially with crisp packets they're the worse.2) similar situation can be applied to exam halls. Especially when i am at the front i feel as if everyone can see me and are just judging me etc. to the point where i feel very uncomfertable and flustered.3) when i am by myself, i cannot help but feel like everyone looks at me weirdly and just thinks the worst of me even when i don't know them.Honestly, IDK if this is normal or i just lack confidence (but i can talk to people 1-1 normally which doesn't make any sense).

I am a victim of that but I managed to pass through that and sometimes its like it is caused by people you mingle around you if it gets worst you then become mentally abused ...and I am here to help you through
I can totally relate like I was surrounded by fake friends who just mentally bullied me in secondary to the point where i struggle to trust people and make friends now. For example, if someone cancelled their plans to have lunch with me i would take it to heart and think they don't want to be around me kinda thing. I think i dwell on it more than the average person should and i dont know if this would be another symptom but small things like that really do impact my day to day life.
Thanks, I just don't know where to start and if it's even worth looking into (it does impact me but there's no point getting help if I'm told 'it's normal'). Its mostly just fighting my daily thoughts if you know what i mean. If u dont mind me asking do u have anxiety?

Although I’ve never been formally diagnosed it’s pretty obvious that I have it. One thing I would recommend if you don’t feel comfortable asking a doctor because you don’t want to waste time because your unsure is doing a quiz online on a trusted website, I know that the NHS website has one. This might give you a clearer idea. I don’t know whose told you it’s normal but from what you’ve said it seems like your really struggling and although some anxiety is normal of course, it shouldn’t affect your daily life to the extent where your scared to eat in front of people. I definitely know what you mean about it being your daily thoughts and I get that too but that doesn’t mean that it’s in any way healthy, in fact I’d probably say the opposite. Feeling insecure once in a while is normal but everyday isn’t. If you don’t mind is there any other examples you can give of stuff that affects you?
Reply 6
I can totally relate like I was surrounded by fake friends who just mentally bullied me in secondary to the point where i struggle to trust people and make friends now. For example, if someone cancelled their plans to have lunch with me i would take it to heart and think they don't want to be around me kinda thing. I think i dwell on it more than the average person should and i dont know if this would be another symptom but small things like that really do impact my day to day life.

Then this is what you need to work through and heal from, the symptoms you're experiencing are likely just offshoots of the bullying you experienced and will go away when you've processed what happened and worked on yourself. Therapy could be a good option.
Original post by Pathway
Then this is what you need to work through and heal from, the symptoms you're experiencing are likely just offshoots of the bullying you experienced and will go away when you've processed what happened and worked on yourself. Therapy could be a good option.

Don't get me wrong, it's been almost 2 years and I have accepted the past (which I think means I've healed too).
Although I’ve never been formally diagnosed it’s pretty obvious that I have it. One thing I would recommend if you don’t feel comfortable asking a doctor because you don’t want to waste time because your unsure is doing a quiz online on a trusted website, I know that the NHS website has one. This might give you a clearer idea. I don’t know whose told you it’s normal but from what you’ve said it seems like your really struggling and although some anxiety is normal of course, it shouldn’t affect your daily life to the extent where your scared to eat in front of people. I definitely know what you mean about it being your daily thoughts and I get that too but that doesn’t mean that it’s in any way healthy, in fact I’d probably say the opposite. Feeling insecure once in a while is normal but everyday isn’t. If you don’t mind is there any other examples you can give of stuff that affects you?

I think it's mainly just battling the thought of 'oh they're going to judge me for doing a simple everyday task'. Another example would be today i was on the train and there was someone sat on the same row but on the other side and usually i would read my book but i had such an intense fear that they would judge me i just couldn't read it. Same with a phone call on the train too. Another one would be that i kind of overthink how i sit in class, if im fiddling with something or if i open my bag someone will think something about me. Ik they seem really minor but now that im thinking about it i overthink every little task.
Reply 9
Don't get me wrong, it's been almost 2 years and I have accepted the past (which I think means I've healed too).

Well, if you had healed from it, you wouldn't have the issues you describe regarding difficulty in starting friendships and generally trusting people. You likely wouldn't care if people were looking at you or if you ate in class during the break etc. either.

Acceptance doesn't mean you have healed. They are similar but not the same thing.

Just my view though, as a spectator.
I think it's mainly just battling the thought of 'oh they're going to judge me for doing a simple everyday task'. Another example would be today i was on the train and there was someone sat on the same row but on the other side and usually i would read my book but i had such an intense fear that they would judge me i just couldn't read it. Same with a phone call on the train too. Another one would be that i kind of overthink how i sit in class, if im fiddling with something or if i open my bag someone will think something about me. Ik they seem really minor but now that im thinking about it i overthink every little task.

Yeh I completely understand what you mean and I’ve definitely felt the same in the past. I can see how these things would add up to create an incredibly frustrating situation for you. I think that an online test would definitely be a good starting point for you because they might ask you questions about things you didn’t even realise were symptoms and you’ll realise that it might be worse than you think because maybe you’ve just become immune to some of the symptoms or it could even be the other way around. But to me it does seem like your really struggling, especially since it’s preventing you from doing things you want/need to do, e.g. read your book etc. That’s why I’d recommend doing the test so you know how bad it is because if you don’t realise it might end up escalating really fast one day. Let me know if you decide to do it, but of course it’s 100% your choice
Original post by Pathway
Well, if you had healed from it, you wouldn't have the issues you describe regarding difficulty in starting friendships and generally trusting people. You likely wouldn't care if people were looking at you or if you ate in class during the break etc. either.

Acceptance doesn't mean you have healed. They are similar but not the same thing.

Just my view though, as a spectator.

Hmm, that is a good point. I think I have accepted it but I have tried to heal from it but its not something you can heal from quickly if you're not surrounded by a good group of genuine friends/ people.
Hmm, that is a good point. I think I have accepted it but I have tried to heal from it but its not something you can heal from quickly if you're not surrounded by a good group of genuine friends/ people.

Agreed, but recovery from something like bullying will take time, even when surrounded by good friends. It'll take time, it won't be a sudden thing either. It'll be a long old journey, you might get burned a couple more times along the way too, but that's why therapy and healing your relationship with yourself is important too. It'll do you a darn site more than trying to do minor things to mitigate current day difficulties when you're not doing something to help yourself in the long-term. I hope that makes sense.

well I will send you a picture explanation for better understanding

I feel the same, amongst other symptoms of course, and I have anxiety. It's worth speaking to your doctor about it regardless of whether you'll get extra help or not because your mental health definitely isn't something you should neglect. Your doctor will also be able to refer you to counselling which could help with the symptoms, it's helped me a lot
well I will send you a picture explanation for better understanding

do you feel like this around people??
do you feel like this around people??

I dont understand what you mean?
Yeh I completely understand what you mean and I’ve definitely felt the same in the past. I can see how these things would add up to create an incredibly frustrating situation for you. I think that an online test would definitely be a good starting point for you because they might ask you questions about things you didn’t even realise were symptoms and you’ll realise that it might be worse than you think because maybe you’ve just become immune to some of the symptoms or it could even be the other way around. But to me it does seem like your really struggling, especially since it’s preventing you from doing things you want/need to do, e.g. read your book etc. That’s why I’d recommend doing the test so you know how bad it is because if you don’t realise it might end up escalating really fast one day. Let me know if you decide to do it, but of course it’s 100% your choicR

Thanks, but even if I do receive help, ik from past experience that the waiting list for therapy is ridiculously huge and the wait could be 6 months.
Original post by amydwyer99
I feel the same, amongst other symptoms of course, and I have anxiety. It's worth speaking to your doctor about it regardless of whether you'll get extra help or not because your mental health definitely isn't something you should neglect. Your doctor will also be able to refer you to counselling which could help with the symptoms, it's helped me a lot

What was getting help like eg the process. And if you don't mind, what other symptoms do you have.
Thanks, but even if I do receive help, ik from past experience that the waiting list for therapy is ridiculously huge and the wait could be 6 months.

Receiving help from a professional doesn’t necessarily have to be therapy, you could call Samaritans on 116 123 in the meantime whilst your waiting and whoever answers will be happy to listen to your problems which is sometimes all you need but they might even be able to help think of things that could help and they are trained to do this. You could also just book an appointment with your local GP and they can also help and that is their job, they might even refer you. There’s so many options that don’t take as long, you shouldn’t have to feel like this for six months before someone can help you so please reach out.

Quick Reply

Latest