The Student Room Group

How do I get followers on Instagram?

I've had an Instagram account for a week now and only have 20 followers. I don't have much friends so I don't have people I know irl following me. At first I was getting 2-3 followers a day but now I'm getting less than that. Other accounts as new as mine, are getting around 5 followers a day and they post less than me.

I post at least a couple times a day, I follow similar accounts to mine, I use tags, I try and use good captions. One of my pics got 8 likes yesterday then I posted again a few hours later and it got no likes. I don't get it.

I'm not trying to be instafamous, I only hoping to get around 100 followers since I think Instagram is a good way to network and stay in touch with people I've met irl who I am interested in becoming friends with.

Advice?
What type of content do you post?
Original post by Anonymous
I've had an Instagram account for a week now and only have 20 followers. I don't have much friends so I don't have people I know irl following me. At first I was getting 2-3 followers a day but now I'm getting less than that. Other accounts as new as mine, are getting around 5 followers a day and they post less than me.

I post at least a couple times a day, I follow similar accounts to mine, I use tags, I try and use good captions. One of my pics got 8 likes yesterday then I posted again a few hours later and it got no likes. I don't get it.

I'm not trying to be instafamous, I only hoping to get around 100 followers since I think Instagram is a good way to network and stay in touch with people I've met irl who I am interested in becoming friends with.

Advice?

I mean a couple times a day is a lot even for famous insta people, but why not do sfs or follow for follow
Reply 3
Original post by Mr T 999
What type of content do you post?

fashion related stuff
Reply 4
Original post by tbi_zlx
I mean a couple times a day is a lot even for famous insta people, but why not do sfs or follow for follow

i saw tags for that but didn't think it would work
i saw tags for that but didn't think it would work

Nooooo i mean shout people out and get them to shout you
Reply 6
Original post by tbi_zlx
Nooooo i mean shout people out and get them to shout you

oh okay, so i just post a pic and tag an account i like?
fashion related stuff

Are the pics well taken? If it's not it won't receive many likes.

As someone has already said shout someone out on your page and tag them in. Then get them to shout you out and tag you. It's a good way of getting followers. Also start commenting on people insta and have discussion with them this gets you out there and people will notice you and you will get natural followers from doing this.

Another way is to have people comment on your posts, so try starting a convo with people and get them to comment. More comments your post gets the algo will boost your content on feeds and more attention you will receive and hence get more likes and followers.
(edited 3 years ago)
oh okay, so i just post a pic and tag an account i like?

Nooo so baso say youre doing sfs with me. You will post a pic of me on story and tag me, then ill do the same on mine
Reply 9
Original post by Mr T 999
Are the pics well taken? If it's not it won't receive many likes.

As someone has already said shout someone out on your page and tag them in. Then get them to shout you out and tag you. It's a good way of getting followers. Also start commenting on people insta and have discussion with them this gets you out there and people will notice you and you will get natural followers from doing this.

Another way is to have people comment on your posts, so try starting a convo with people and get them to comment. More comments your post gets the algo will boost your content on feeds and more attention you will receive and hence get more likes and followers.

Wow, that sounds so long :colondollar:. Wish I could make my followers/like count on pictures private.
Posting numerous times a day could perhaps be considered spam and therefore very off-putting to people coming across your profile. Maybe limit yourself to one post per day?
Original post by tragictimes
Posting numerous times a day could perhaps be considered spam and therefore very off-putting to people coming across your profile. Maybe limit yourself to one post per day?

Hmm okay, I'll try that.
Reply 12
Intresting article.
Follow as many people as you can who post similar content as yours. Comment on there posts. Also, try posting unique stuff and keep on using the hashtags.
do a tiktok dance

Latest

Trending

Trending