The Student Room Group

extenuating circumstances - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I have been diagnosed with CFS two 2 ago following a week recovery in a hospital. I used to be a very sporty person, but, in a matter of weeks, my energy levels dropped tot he post that was hard to walk for more than a few meters. I also got significant issues concentrating, feeling very sick each morning, insomnia as well as waking up even more tired than before I went to sleep. I also started feeling hopeless and low every day.

Despite this, I still decided not to change plans and come to study int he UK to do my A-Level anyway. Thankfully, my sympthoms got better so, by putting 80-100h workweeks, I still aged to get 4A*. I am now at Uni and I am struggling with the increased workload, so I was thinking whether I may qualify for it. In all honesty, I do feel much better than 2 years ago, although I am not recovered completely. Nobody outside my parents (actually my mother, since my father does not think it is even a real illness) know about it, since I never wanted to be stigmatised as 'lazy'.
Reply 1
Bump
I'd discuss this with your uni if you feel this affects your coursework etc.. Don't be ashamed of telling this.
Reply 3
Original post by madame_j
I'd discuss this with your uni if you feel this affects your coursework etc.. Don't be ashamed of telling this.

Ok thanks.I guess I am just going to end up living of caffeine for the next 3 years but if it gets worse I'll get in touch with them.
Reply 4
Original post by madame_j
Also, I suggest checking the hormone levels. I suffer from hypothyroidism and I feel extremely sleepy all the time so I feel you :frown:

I see, thank you. I suspect there may be something wrong with my thyroid as well since I had some wired values last time I took a blood test and my mother has hyperthyroidism. I also developed a lot of strange intolerances and allergies in the past 2 years.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been diagnosed with CFS two 2 ago following a week recovery in a hospital. I used to be a very sporty person, but, in a matter of weeks, my energy levels dropped tot he post that was hard to walk for more than a few meters. I also got significant issues concentrating, feeling very sick each morning, insomnia as well as waking up even more tired than before I went to sleep. I also started feeling hopeless and low every day.

Despite this, I still decided not to change plans and come to study int he UK to do my A-Level anyway. Thankfully, my sympthoms got better so, by putting 80-100h workweeks, I still aged to get 4A*. I am now at Uni and I am struggling with the increased workload, so I was thinking whether I may qualify for it. In all honesty, I do feel much better than 2 years ago, although I am not recovered completely. Nobody outside my parents (actually my mother, since my father does not think it is even a real illness) know about it, since I never wanted to be stigmatised as 'lazy'.

Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Definitely speak to your wellbeing team at your university or your tutor. You should be able to successfully get an ECF. It's a genuine illness, so don't feel like you can't talk about it. Also, if you speak to your uni wellbeing team they might be able to offer you some help and assistance so you can keep up with the work.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Definitely speak to your wellbeing team at your university or your tutor. You should be able to successfully get an ECF. It's a genuine illness, so don't feel like you can't talk about it. Also, if you speak to your uni wellbeing team they might be able to offer you some help and assistance so you can keep up with the work.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest