The Student Room Group

Dropping out from Oxbridge?

I do not really have a choice, but I find my course burdensome and uninteresting. I am thinking abut dropping out but my parents would rightly not allow me to do so, since my career prospectives would be ruined. Help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
What is your course and which year are you in?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
What is your course and which year are you in?

First year, law
Are your module choices in later years better? Sometimes there’s not a lot of choice in the first year but it gets better. Also this year isn’t really a normal year for anyone in terms of being at university anywhere - it’s just not representative and a lot of people are questioning whether it’s worth it. I guess I’m saying it’s quite early to be making that decision
Reply 5
R

Original post by AnnaBananana
Are your module choices in later years better? Sometimes there’s not a lot of choice in the first year but it gets better. Also this year isn’t really a normal year for anyone in terms of being at university anywhere - it’s just not representative and a lot of people are questioning whether it’s worth it. I guess I’m saying it’s quite early to be making that decision

Right, thank you. It does not really, we only have 3 elective modules out of 15, all 3 in the last year.
Which parts are you not enjoying? It might become more interesting later on, did you apply because you had a genuine interest in the first place or...
I'd say stick it out, but ultimately if you really hate it then don't force yourself to continue.
R

Right, thank you. It does not really, we only have 3 elective modules out of 15, all 3 in the last year.

That’s a long time to wait before you get to choose stuff.

How are you getting on with people in your college? Is there anyone else in your college who’s on your course that you can talk to?
definitely don’t drop out. I don’t know about Oxford, but at Cambridge, once you’re in you can change courses relatively easily.

Also, as the first person said it’s a super strange first year rn and won’t be representative of normal teaching & learning. If you’re quite unhappy though, talk to your tutor (I don’t know what the welfare/personal tutor person would be called at Oxford, but that person) about changing courses before you even begin to consider dropping out. You got this!
Reply 9
Which parts are you not enjoying? It might become more interesting later on, did you apply because you had a genuine interest in the first place or...
I'd say stick it out, but ultimately if you really hate it then don't force yourself to continue.

I just do not have much interest in the course in general. I applied only because I was crap at the TSA while I got 35 in the LNAT. I think I am going to finish it, it's only 3 years at the end.
definitely don’t drop out. I don’t know about Oxford, but at Cambridge, once you’re in you can change courses relatively easily.

Also, as the first person said it’s a super strange first year rn and won’t be representative of normal teaching & learning. If you’re quite unhappy though, talk to your tutor (I don’t know what the welfare/personal tutor person would be called at Oxford, but that person) about changing courses before you even begin to consider dropping out. You got this!

I'm at Oxford, and I do not think it is easy at all to change course. I'll try put in more hours and hopefully I'll get this damned first.
Why do you call it "Oxbridge"?
I just do not have much interest in the course in general. I applied only because I was crap at the TSA while I got 35 in the LNAT. I think I am going to finish it, it's only 3 years at the end.

Understandable, best of luck! But I agree with Anna...maybe you can talk to someone in your college about it who can help you make the course more bearable. Plus, aside from the work surely there are social things going on too which makes the uni worth staying at.
Original post by AnnaBananana
That’s a long time to wait before you get to choose stuff.

How are you getting on with people in your college? Is there anyone else in your college who’s on your course that you can talk to?

It is indeed.

People seem alright, not seeing many during the week but I have hanged out in weekends. Thanks
Understandable, best of luck! But I agree with Anna...maybe you can talk to someone in your college about it who can help you make the course more bearable. Plus, aside from the work surely there are social things going on too which makes the uni worth staying at.

True, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Trinculo
Why do you call it "Oxbridge"?

It was more anonymity thing, but it is not probably necessary.
It was more anonymity thing, but it is not probably necessary.

So are you at Cambridge, or Oxford?
O

So are you at Cambridge, or Oxford?

Oxford, as said in a previous post.
O

Oxford, as said in a previous post.

And what are you reading, exactly?
And what are you reading, exactly?

Jurisprudence