The Student Room Group

I have Atypical Narcolepsy, but without doctor's letter, do I mention it in ucas form

Hello! So, I have narcolepsy, without cataplaxy and it does affect my final a level grades (as there are times when I fall asleep during the exam, like.. 40 minutes if I am lucky?)

Unfortunately, I do not have any letter to prove it nor know where I can get one lol (I live outside of the UK)

How do I mention this in my form? I have applied to a few universities and I am afraid they will ... idk, reject me in case I don't achieve required grades coz I slept through my exam lol
Original post by Rosewyn
Hello! So, I have narcolepsy, without cataplaxy and it does affect my final a level grades (as there are times when I fall asleep during the exam, like.. 40 minutes if I am lucky?)

Unfortunately, I do not have any letter to prove it nor know where I can get one lol (I live outside of the UK)

How do I mention this in my form? I have applied to a few universities and I am afraid they will ... idk, reject me in case I don't achieve required grades coz I slept through my exam lol

Why dont u request an extenuating circumstance form. Im not a student from here too but i heard from a friend who has MS that you can request this as well mention to universities and on UCAS system that you have a condition
Reply 2
Oh, will it be too late to request now? As I am undergoing my exams and my school is as clueless as me
Original post by Rosewyn
Oh, will it be too late to request now? As I am undergoing my exams and my school is as clueless as me

The extenuating circumstances form, (or sometimes 'mitigating circumstances'), will be from the unis that you are applying to, not where you are taking your exams.

Ordinarily I would recommend having your referee mention this as well. Have you submitted your UCAS application yet?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
The extenuating circumstances form, (or sometimes 'mitigating circumstances'), will be from the unis that you are applying to, not where you are taking your exams.

Ordinarily I would recommend having your referee mention this as well. Have you submitted your UCAS application yet?

Ah, I'll look into that! Thank you for the information ^^

I have, unfortunately
Original post by Rosewyn
Ah, I'll look into that! Thank you for the information ^^

I have, unfortunately

If you submit a mitigating circumstances form, (try and do this quite quickly if you've already submitted your apps), you could also have a teacher who is aware of the situation, (aa personal tutor, year head etc), write a letter to accompany the form. Between the two you need to explain how this has affected your study and exams, as well as whether any reasonable adjustments that have been made for you.

Unis will try to bear these things in mind, but it needs to be with them before they make a decision.

Try googling [Uni name] + mitigating circumstances, (you need the form for new applicants, not current students)
Reply 6
Ah, thank you so much! I appreciate this ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending