The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by StressedASF44
I ordered an age restricted item and im wondering if im amazon actually checks id and if they do how do they know whats in the package?

With alcohol it's flagged with the delivery driver that they have to photograph your id on delivery (otherwise they can be sacked). Old men have complained about it a lot.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/29/amazon-delivery-restricted-items-alcohol-proof-identity
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-sherry-id-alcohol-delivery-driver-county-durham-a9267501.html
No idea if they do with other age-restricted items.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 2500_2
With alcohol it's flagged with the delivery driver that they have to photograph your id on delivery (otherwise they can be sacked). Old men have complained about it a lot.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/29/amazon-delivery-restricted-items-alcohol-proof-identity
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amazon-sherry-id-alcohol-delivery-driver-county-durham-a9267501.html
No idea if they do with other age-restricted items.

Can they tell if its a vape pen?
Reply 3

The issue won't be what's in the parcel, but has it been flagged that the delivery driver has to do an ID check on delivery.
I guess you'll only find out when they deliver it.

Yes, they are age restricted. The box even says the product contains nicotine which is bull**** but the law.
Reply 5
I ordered an age restricted item and im wondering if im amazon actually checks id and if they do how do they know whats in the package?

The driver does not know what's in your package unless it's in manufacturer packaging.

Nevertheless, the driver app indicates when a package is age restricted or not, and requires the driver to check your ID and enter your date of birth into the app.

If they fail to do this, they can (and frequently do) lose their job.

The Amazon website makes it clear when an item is age restricted. If you ordered knowing fine well you weren't old enough, that's your fault, not the driver's.
Amazon packs the items so they know whats going in the package if its a knife or a taser etc and you are under 18 you wont get the items you have to show ID if its a taser Amazon will report it to the police as tasers are not allowed in the uk if its a Sex Toy you will get it as its not against the law to own a sex toy under the age of 18
Reply 7
Original post by Scottishlad888
Amazon packs the items so they know whats going in the package if its a knife or a taser etc and you are under 18 you wont get the items you have to show ID if its a taser Amazon will report it to the police as tasers are not allowed in the uk if its a Sex Toy you will get it as its not against the law to own a sex toy under the age of 18

This.. this baffles me. It's wrong on so many levels.
There have been a lot of similar threads about this topic recently.

As I posted elsewhere, yes, we were asked for ID to take receipt of a pumpkin carving kit, (small blades). The packages with age restricted items are labelled as such, so the driver knows which ones need ID'ing.

This use to be a massive pain in the backside when I worked in the cards industry. It seemed like every other merchant was quite happy to hand over booze to whoever answered the door. I think things are a lot better now.
Original post by IWMTom

Well l dont make the laws or rules l only read them l saw sex toys for sale in Poundland for a £1 each and next to them was KY GEL Boots sell sex toys and so does Superdrug anyone can buy them as its not illegal
Reply 10
Well l dont make the laws or rules l only read them l saw sex toys for sale in Poundland for a £1 each and next to them was KY GEL Boots sell sex toys and so does Superdrug anyone can buy them as its not illegal

Amazon can (and frequently do) restrict item sales as a matter of policy rather than law.

Furthermore.. a taser wouldn't be listed for sale :facepalm:
Original post by DiddyDec
Yes, they are age restricted. The box even says the product contains nicotine which is bull**** but the law.

But what if its a vape with no nicotine

if the listing says they will check ID on delivery, then you can assume that's what they'll do
if its a taser Amazon will report it to the police as tasers are not allowed in the uk

Amazon will report you to the police for an item they themselves sold you? Just think about that for a second...

The pens themselves are also age restricted.
Reply 15

If. It. Says. It's. Age. Restricted. You. Will. Be. Asked. For. ID.

Capeesh?
Original post by IWMTom
Amazon can (and frequently do) restrict item sales as a matter of policy rather than law.

Furthermore.. a taser wouldn't be listed for sale :facepalm:

You can buy Guns/ TASERS on Amazon USA and have them shipped to the UK l know about cases where customs /royal mail have come across those kind off items and reported it to the police
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom

Yeah, most of his posts are like that unfortunately. I really wish he was trolling, but looks like he's being serious.
Reply 18
Original post by Xarao
Yeah, most of his posts are like that unfortunately.

Well aware - seems like a game of whack-a-mole.

You disprove one and another three show up!
I looked at the first vape pen on amazon and it includes the following warning in bold:

"Age verification required on delivery: This product is not for sale to people under the age of 18. To confirm the recipient is over 18 years, valid photographic ID with a date of birth will be required upon delivery for all customers. The driver will input your date of birth into their device to confirm that age verification has been completed successfully, but will not be able to access your date of birth information once your delivery is complete."

If it's already ordered, there's nothing you can do. They'll likely try to ID you and then take the item away. Done.

Latest

Trending

Trending