The Student Room Group

should i go back to sixth form or retake independently

hi, got 2 Bs and a C in 2020. Feel robbed but I understand I can’t complain and either improve or make do with what i’ve got

i have a university place at reading university, but i’m not happy with this uni. it’s not bad per se but IMO uni is only worth it if you go to a top one, otherwise i’d rather get an apprenticeship

now my old sixth form have given me the option to go back and retake my a levels but i have to be in full time, that means cutting down my hours at my job and just stopping focus on my other entrepreneurial ideas and side hustles that i have right now, the thing is i really want good grades just to have the option for a top uni or apprenticeship, but i really don’t want to go back to school to retake, i would rather do it independently

any students here who retook independently and got into an RG?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by MrSoloDolo
hi, got 2 Bs and a C in 2020. Feel robbed but I understand I can’t complain and either improve or make do with what i’ve got

i have a university place at reading university, but i’m not happy with this uni. it’s not bad per se but IMO uni is only worth it if you go to a top one, otherwise i’d rather get an apprenticeship

now my old sixth form have given me the option to go back and retake my a levels but i have to be in full time, that means cutting down my hours at my job and just stopping focus on my other entrepreneurial ideas and side hustles that i have right now, the thing is i really want good grades just to have the option for a top uni or apprenticeship, but i really don’t want to go back to school to retake, i would rather do it independently

any students here who retook independently and got into an RG?

Thank you

Firstly it depends on what subject you want to study at university. I’m actually from reading and reading university has a good reputation in the most part. Russel group university or not, each university has a subject area which they excel in. My advice would be that if you know you can do better than the grades that you achieved then go for it bro and repeat the year :smile:. I also repeated the year because I wasn’t happy with the grades I achieved. After a year of hard work I pulled up my grades from CDD to BBC. I’m now a second year student at NTU studying biomed and I’m happy with the university. So yeah don’t ’t settle for less! I just saved myself from doing 4 years of biomed at university of Brighton.
Do you honestly think you will be able to get the better grades independently if you have all the other distractions- job, hustles etc? It depends on what subjects you are taking- sciences require practicals, geography probably requires field trip, etc which are easier down through school.
Reply 3
Original post by Alim kamara
Firstly it depends on what subject you want to study at university. I’m actually from reading and reading university has a good reputation in the most part. Russel group university or not, each university has a subject area which they excel in. My advice would be that if you know you can do better than the grades that you achieved then go for it bro and repeat the year :smile:. I also repeated the year because I wasn’t happy with the grades I achieved. After a year of hard work I pulled up my grades from CDD to BBC. I’m now a second year student at NTU studying biomed and I’m happy with the university. So yeah don’t ’t settle for less! I just saved myself from doing 4 years of biomed at university of Brighton.

hello sorry i should have specified i’m doing law, i feel like because a lot of do this degree you need to stand out a lot with the uni you go to, i was originally going to go to Liverpool because they had ABB as entry but I didn’t sit my exams so didn’t get that grade lol

You do a much more technical degree so Reading is good enough I presume, I wasn’t trying to be a snob or anything Reading is good but I think for Law I really have to stand out as many many people do this degree and end up as bartenders or the like
Reply 4
Original post by ReadingMum
Do you honestly think you will be able to get the better grades independently if you have all the other distractions- job, hustles etc? It depends on what subjects you are taking- sciences require practicals, geography probably requires field trip, etc which are easier down through school.

I would need to retake History, Gov and Pol and English Lit and Lang combined

I’m a much more motivated individual nowadays, I balance 40 hour work weeks with driving lessons, 1-2 hour consultation calls with multiple people a week teaching them how to make money

the only problem is i don’t know if i could scale it up to a level where i could earn solely off that and be happy with the wage

i’m going to see if i can cut down my hours to go back to school, if they don’t let me i will decide to retake independently or not.

thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ReadingMum

as to if i could get the grades independent i’m not sure, i really want to think i am able to, i feel like if i was to carry on working i would hire a really good tutor and revise hard.. I was getting High Bs/Cs in February times and this happened in gsces as well, the last 3-4 months i knuckle down HARD and improve a lot...
Reply 6
more opinions would be greatly appreciated, i still can’t decide whether to do it independently or at my school...

Quick Reply

Latest