The Student Room Group

Psych degree confusion

Hi, I want to do psychology at uni starting next year, and am thinking of Bath as one of my choices. They offer a 3 year BSc or a 4 year BSc with a placement year. Is there any particular benefit that I'd gain from choosing the placement year over the non-placement year? I'm also thinking of Exeter, who offer a 3 year or 4 year with a study abroad year. Would having a year abroad help me further down the line with job hunting or wanting to go on and do further study? I know it's a competitive industry to break into so I want to put myself in the best position possible.
What area of psych are you thinking of going in to?
Original post by Noodlzzz
What area of psych are you thinking of going in to?

I’m not 100% sure yet, but potentially eating disorders, depression, clinical, health or social psych I think
Original post by maniccrammer
I’m not 100% sure yet, but potentially eating disorders, depression, clinical, health or social psych I think

So clinical psych doctorate potentially? If so, a placement year may be helpful for this.

Though to note for both placement and year abroad things are likely to be very different to how they were two years ago for both these options due to covid
Original post by Noodlzzz
So clinical psych doctorate potentially? If so, a placement year may be helpful for this.

Though to note for both placement and year abroad things are likely to be very different to how they were two years ago for both these options due to covid

Yeah Covid is bound to have an impact sadly, hopefully in a few years time though it’ll be at a point where I’ll be able to do these things. Exeter say you can pick whether you want to do a year abroad in first or second year, but their course that specifies a year abroad has different entry requirements - do you know if that’ll make any difference?
Yeah Covid is bound to have an impact sadly, hopefully in a few years time though it’ll be at a point where I’ll be able to do these things. Exeter say you can pick whether you want to do a year abroad in first or second year, but their course that specifies a year abroad has different entry requirements - do you know if that’ll make any difference?

I'm sorry I really can't answer that! Your best bet is to contact them directly.

Hi - just to let you know that I have sent your question to the Psychology admissions team. I will post the answer when they get back to me.
Karen - University of Exeter Student recruitment Team
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hi - just to let you know that I have sent your question to the Psychology admissions team. I will post the answer when they get back to me.

Hi - here is their response:
The MSci Applied Psychology (Clinical) programme can’t be studied with study abroad, so is this a BSc Psychology with Study Abroad question?
If this is regarding BSc Psychology with Study Abroad, the answer is that it may be possible to transfer from BSc Psychology to BSc Psychology with Study Abroad once the course is underway, but this is dependent on whether there is room on the Study Abroad programme at that time (there are approximately 20 places each year) and if the student has completed their first year successfully and are performing at the 2:1 level or higher (at least 60%). There are higher entry requirements for the BSc Psychology with Study Abroad programme, and these would also need to be met by anybody wishing to transfer onto the programme.
Hope that this helps? Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hi - here is their response:
The MSci Applied Psychology (Clinical) programme can’t be studied with study abroad, so is this a BSc Psychology with Study Abroad question?
If this is regarding BSc Psychology with Study Abroad, the answer is that it may be possible to transfer from BSc Psychology to BSc Psychology with Study Abroad once the course is underway, but this is dependent on whether there is room on the Study Abroad programme at that time (there are approximately 20 places each year) and if the student has completed their first year successfully and are performing at the 2:1 level or higher (at least 60%). There are higher entry requirements for the BSc Psychology with Study Abroad programme, and these would also need to be met by anybody wishing to transfer onto the programme.
Hope that this helps? Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Thank you! I did a live chat this morning and they said about if I apply for the BSc with study abroad and it’s full I could be offered a place on the BSc anyway - is this right?
Thank you! I did a live chat this morning and they said about if I apply for the BSc with study abroad and it’s full I could be offered a place on the BSc anyway - is this right?

Yes, as you were told, if you meet the entry requirements that is a usual procedure. There are far fewer places on the Study Abroad programme and it is very popular, we therefore often give students the option of the three year course if the cohort is full.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest