The Student Room Group

Why are there so many trolls?

I can't be the only one that has noticed that the amount of trolls we have on TSR has gone up.

Scroll to see replies

Youre not the only one man, dark days ahead
There are far fewer than we get when the schools are closed.
Reply 3
Original post by StopRightThere
I can't be the only one that has noticed that the amount of trolls we have on TSR has gone up.

Plus so many people spamming!
No, I'm not going to pay you to write my essay/be my tutor/give me business advice!

You should see their numbers in the summer
Welcome to TSR :borat:
Reply 6
Yeah they have become more numerous recently. They also don't put in much effort now.

Honestly can't say I've really seen a substantial shift, compared to the past few years. Although certain forums attract trolls more than others. I'd wager looking at a longer timeframe, troll numbers increase inline with the userbase. And as above, when the kids are off school it's even worse.

No matter where you are on the Internet, there will be trolls. However TSR is a primarily student forum. Students, especially younger students, are typically less mature and therefore more likely to troll. Look at the sort of rubbish trolling you get in relationships for example, that looks like it was written by a hormonal 13 year old. Nor does it help that some people just like engaging the trolls.

We also have to consider the TSR side. What can they do? Automated systems can be bypassed, and it'd be a lot of effort to manually vet every new post. It's not in TSRs interest to make it too hard to sign up, as that'll hurt growth. Trolls probably make up a ridiculously small amount of the posts that actually come through TSR.

There's also a few different varieties of troll. We have some real sad regulars who send the same messages over and over. We have plenty of one off trollers but the numbers add up. We even probably have a fair few people who aren't trolling and really are "just that stupid". And of course we have the bots. There's probably an interesting case study to be done here, if anyone's searching for a dissertation topic.

And finally an important reminder. If you see a troll, report and move on. Don't engage with them or the thread, that just gives it visibility on the front page. A lot of it comes down to attention, and if the troll is just being ignored they'll eventually get bored and move elsewhere.
You only joined 3 weeks ago :wink:

It was much worse when people were off school in lockdown, was pretty much a full time occupation to bin all the troll content along with various squabbles between users
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Yeah they have become more numerous recently. They also don't put in much effort now.

haha what do you mean they don't put much effort in? What's the most elaborate troll you've ever seen?
One of the things that doesn't help is when users reply to threads or posts made by these troll accounts. If they get given attention, they won't leave.
Original post by AcseI
Honestly can't say I've really seen a substantial shift, compared to the past few years. Although certain forums attract trolls more than others. I'd wager looking at a longer timeframe, troll numbers increase inline with the userbase. And as above, when the kids are off school it's even worse.

No matter where you are on the Internet, there will be trolls. However TSR is a primarily student forum. Students, especially younger students, are typically less mature and therefore more likely to troll. Look at the sort of rubbish trolling you get in relationships for example, that looks like it was written by a hormonal 13 year old. Nor does it help that some people just like engaging the trolls.

We also have to consider the TSR side. What can they do? Automated systems can be bypassed, and it'd be a lot of effort to manually vet every new post. It's not in TSRs interest to make it too hard to sign up, as that'll hurt growth. Trolls probably make up a ridiculously small amount of the posts that actually come through TSR.

There's also a few different varieties of troll. We have some real sad regulars who send the same messages over and over. We have plenty of one off trollers but the numbers add up. We even probably have a fair few people who aren't trolling and really are "just that stupid". And of course we have the bots. There's probably an interesting case study to be done here, if anyone's searching for a dissertation topic.

And finally an important reminder. If you see a troll, report and move on. Don't engage with them or the thread, that just gives it visibility on the front page. A lot of it comes down to attention, and if the troll is just being ignored they'll eventually get bored and move elsewhere.

This was a beautiful read
Reply 12
Original post by Fionaanddonkey
haha what do you mean they don't put much effort in? What's the most elaborate troll you've ever seen?

I don't remember but they just aren't believable anymore, though many never were.
That would be me :shh:
Reply 14

How do you know they are trolls?
You could be just assuming but you don’t know if they are.
Original post by TDCI

like the guy who said he hadn't eaten lunch or dinner and was asking whether he should get food or not...
Maybe people are at home more and bored?
Reply 17
like the guy who said he hadn't eaten lunch or dinner and was asking whether he should get food or not...

Yes people throwing the troll card
Original post by TDCI
Yes people throwing the troll card

yeah then there was that other troll thread "haven't drunk water all day"
Original post by TDCI

I actually do know that they are...

New account... questioning validity of trolls... smells fishy.

Quick Reply

Latest