The Student Room Group

Should I drop Psychology for Ancient History A level ?

Hi. So I am considering phoning up my old school and ask if I can come back, (I do realise its late) if they can let me back. I would have stayed at my old school if they had offered me the a level subjects I wanted at the time, Business, Economics and Politics. They had told me they can not offer me econ and politics as it was full and instead said if I wanted to come back, they can offer me Business, Religious Studies and Ancient History A level + EPQ. At the time I was not willing to study Ancient History and so I moved sixth form, doing Business, Religious Studies and Psychology, (my old school did not offer Psych) along with English Lit, (which I plan to drop at Christmas). After moving I have been debating for 4 weeks by myself and hesistaing whether to call my old school if they would let me back as I would now be willing to do Ancient History, and so I would be able to join back my old school. But I am hesistant to call back. I want to do Software Engineering or even Computer Science at Uni, but I was not allowed to do Maths A level when I ask for a trial (I had gotten a 6) in my old school, they let alot of other people do a trial who had got a 6, and I did not bother to ask the new school I joined, and so that is where my confusion comes in with my selected A levels. I would be interested in Law or something to do with Business in the future but what my main question is, would I be fine doing Ancient History A level and swapping Pyschology to do Ancient History and if doing so would it mean my University subject choices become worse, I was also kinda intersted in doing an EPQ so I could do something on computing. I've got to make a decision tomorrow as I have been delaying this for long and so I am asking for opinions. Also would Ancient History A level be similar to History A level as I heard History A level is good but I don't know if Ancient History is as good as History A level. Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ethoic
Hi. So I am considering phoning up my old school and ask if I can come back, (I do realise its late) if they can let me back. I would have stayed at my old school if they had offered me the a level subjects I wanted at the time, Business, Economics and Politics. They had told me they can not offer me econ and politics as it was full and instead said if I wanted to come back, they can offer me Business, Religious Studies and Ancient History A level + EPQ. At the time I was not willing to study Ancient History and so I moved sixth form, doing Business, Religious Studies and Psychology, (my old school did not offer Psych) along with English Lit, (which I plan to drop at Christmas). After moving I have been debating for 4 weeks by myself and hesistaing whether to call my old school if they would let me back as I would now be willing to do Ancient History, and so I would be able to join back my old school. But I am hesistant to call back. I want to do Software Engineering or even Computer Science at Uni, but I was not allowed to do Maths A level when I ask for a trial (I had gotten a 6) in my old school, they let alot of other people do a trial who had got a 6, and I did not bother to ask the new school I joined, and so that is where my confusion comes in with my selected A levels. I would be interested in Law or something to do with Business in the future but what my main question is, would I be fine doing Ancient History A level and swapping Pyschology to do Ancient History and if doing so would it mean my University subject choices become worse, I was also kinda intersted in doing an EPQ so I could do something on computing. I've got to make a decision tomorrow as I have been delaying this for long and so I am asking for opinions. Also would Ancient History A level be similar to History A level as I heard History A level is good but I don't know if Ancient History is as good as History A level. Thanks!

I haven't studied Ancient History (I took History, Psychology and Sociology) but I do know that Ancient History is very specific and usually, people only take it if they want to go into an Ancient History degree or study Classics etc. A lot of Universities ask for just History when applying to a course, and I think you will struggle to link Ancient History in with Computer Science etc in your personal statement later on, if that is what you decide to take. Do they not offer a computer science A-Level? Or have you thought about looking at other colleges that may offer Politics and Economics.
If you take an A-Level that you know you will not enjoy, then you will end up being miserable for 2 years and end with grades that are not at your full potential. A-Levels are difficult as I am sure you are becoming aware of; I recommend you take the subjects that you know you will enjoy the most, but also link well with your future career intentions. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by aprose
I haven't studied Ancient History (I took History, Psychology and Sociology) but I do know that Ancient History is very specific and usually, people only take it if they want to go into an Ancient History degree or study Classics etc. A lot of Universities ask for just History when applying to a course, and I think you will struggle to link Ancient History in with Computer Science etc in your personal statement later on, if that is what you decide to take. Do they not offer a computer science A-Level? Or have you thought about looking at other colleges that may offer Politics and Economics.
If you take an A-Level that you know you will not enjoy, then you will end up being miserable for 2 years and end with grades that are not at your full potential. A-Levels are difficult as I am sure you are becoming aware of; I recommend you take the subjects that you know you will enjoy the most, but also link well with your future career intentions. :smile:

So my current school does offer computer science a level but I you need a 6 in cs gcse to do it and I got a 3, thats because I didn't hand in my project so thats why I cant do it. I'm not really willing to move to another sixth form and college as its a hassle at this point. I guess I might have to change my plans for uni, but that is why doing an epq on computing might help me link to something in my personal application. And yeah Im becoming aware that a levels are getting difficult lol. Not doing economics isnt the biggest deal tbh as I am doing business, and neither is not doing politics a big deal its just I would say they are better subjects then ancient history. I did look for a college to do computing btec but they said it was full. But thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest