The Student Room Group

Year 13s

Hi Guys, :smile:
So this is a question to all the people planning to sit their A levels in summer 2021.

How much revision have you done so far and
where are you at with revision right now?
:five::grouphugs:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For me, this thread could either be a massive reassurance or a giant wake-up call haha, because I’ve honestly done next to nothing. Not in the sense that everyone says when they’ve written out pages of notes and just feel they haven’t done enough, but in the sense that I’ve literally done barely anything.

I’ve had a few assessments so I’ve read over notes for them and done literally a couple of pages of notes, but I’m not having the best time at the minute and I feel incredibly overwhelmed. I think there’s also a part of me that believed exams would be cancelled, so I’ve just been doing the bare minimum to keep my head above the water. Now that they’ve just been pushed back three weeks, it feels more like I’ve been drowning. Everyone else I know seems to have been managing, but I don’t even know where to start with it all so I’m just procrastinating. I did the same for my GCSEs and it ended up fine, and I’ve learned that I just have to make a start wherever I can, so I don’t know why I’m doing this to myself right now.

Tl;dr: I’ve done barely anything and I’m pretty ****ing stressed about it haha.
Reply 2
I've had mocks recently so I've revised for those. Over the half-term, I might (might, because I could also procrastinate. Not a certainty this will happen) focus on English and History coursework and covering some A2 content? Also revising stuff from Y12. But for the moment, I haven't really done much outside of class.
Original post by ashton23
For me, this thread could either be a massive reassurance or a giant wake-up call haha, because I’ve honestly done next to nothing. Not in the sense that everyone says when they’ve written out pages of notes and just feel they haven’t done enough, but in the sense that I’ve literally done barely anything.

I’ve had a few assessments so I’ve read over notes for them and done literally a couple of pages of notes, but I’m not having the best time at the minute and I feel incredibly overwhelmed. I think there’s also a part of me that believed exams would be cancelled, so I’ve just been doing the bare minimum to keep my head above the water. Now that they’ve just been pushed back three weeks, it feels more like I’ve been drowning. Everyone else I know seems to have been managing, but I don’t even know where to start with it all so I’m just procrastinating. I did the same for my GCSEs and it ended up fine, and I’ve learned that I just have to make a start wherever I can, so I don’t know why I’m doing this to myself right now.

Hey, don't worry! I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't done much either but I feel like we will do fine in the end. I did not know exams were pushed back three weeks.
Also, that's why I made this thread so it will be a wake-up call for myself and everyone in the same situation.
Original post by Anthos
I've had mocks recently so I've revised for those. Over the half-term, I might (might, because I could also procrastinate. Not a certainty this will happen) focus on English and History coursework and covering some A2 content? Also revising stuff from Y12. But for the moment, I haven't really done much outside of class.

Yh, a lot of people do procrastinate when they get so much time for themselves during the half term. Some people are so productive, they plan every single second of their life. I wish I was like them :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by curiousperson123
Yh, a lot of people do procrastinate when they get so much time for themselves during the half term. Some people are so productive, they plan every single second of their life. I wish I was like them :frown:

Me too. But I guess being flexible is also good too. I don't think it's necessary to plan "every single second", but just know what you'll be doing on a particular day.
Hey, don't worry! I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't done much either but I feel like we will do fine in the end. I did not know exams were pushed back three weeks.
Also, that's why I made this thread so it will be a wake-up call for myself and everyone in the same situation.

Aw I think you're right. Most people must be feeling similarly right now, even if some have been coping slightly better.

Bless you, that's really good of you.
Original post by ashtolga23
Aw I think you're right. Most people must be feeling similarly right now, even if some have been coping slightly better.

Bless you, that's really good of you.

Thank you :smile:

When are you planning to start revision and what subjects do you do?
Ive started to do papers,but Im struggling to stay motivated :smile:

Im trying to do 3 papers a day, just about managing one :frown:
Thank you :smile:

When are you planning to start revision and what subjects do you do?

I mean I'm hoping as soon as possible. I do psychology, English lit, and RS. I had an RS assessment before the half-term holiday (I get two weeks so I'm off now) which went awfully, so I'm hoping to not repeat that in my other subjects. I have a small psychology test and an 'Othello' assessment in the week I get back so I should really be preparing for those soon. I also have an EPQ to start and coursework to finish though so who knows what will take priority once I manage to stop procrastinating?

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent. Essentially I'm hoping that it will be soon, and I'll just try to work smarter rather than harder.

How about yourself?
I mean I'm hoping as soon as possible. I do psychology, English lit, and RS. I had an RS assessment before the half-term holiday (I get two weeks so I'm off now) which went awfully, so I'm hoping to not repeat that in my other subjects. I have a small psychology test and an 'Othello' assessment in the week I get back so I should really be preparing for those soon. I also have an EPQ to start and coursework to finish though so who knows what will take priority once I manage to stop procrastinating?

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent. Essentially I'm hoping that it will be soon, and I'll just try to work smarter rather than harder.

How about yourself?

Yh same I've got to buy my mum's birthday presents tomorrow and I have a zoom party to go to now, it's one for the global summit 2.0 MUN thing that I've been attending all day. They are ending the day off with a party!
So proper revision will be from Sunday onwards. But I might look at proofs (maths) tomorrow.
Yh same I've got to buy my mum's birthday presents tomorrow and I have a zoom party to go to now, it's one for the global summit 2.0 MUN thing that I've been attending all day. They are ending the day off with a party!
So proper revision will be from Sunday onwards. But I might look at proofs (maths) tomorrow.

Aw that sounds productive at least! I hope you have a good time on Zoom.

It sounds like you have a solid plan there. Best of luck!
Aw that sounds productive at least! I hope you have a good time on Zoom.

It sounds like you have a solid plan there. Best of luck!

Thanks x :smile:
For me, this thread could either be a massive reassurance or a giant wake-up call haha

ouch this hit me a bit too hard with the accuracy! I have just about been keeping on top of classwork/homework so the thought of people being miles ahead of me with revision is definitely a large source of stress. I have exams the second week back after the half term so I'm hoping to kind of get my **** together this week and actually start knuckling down!! even though these exams are more just indicatory and have no impact on my UCAS or anything, I would be upset if I did poorly
Thanks x :smile:

No worries! X

Original post by procrastinatingb
ouch this hit me a bit too hard with the accuracy! I have just about been keeping on top of classwork/homework so the thought of people being miles ahead of me with revision is definitely a large source of stress. I have exams the second week back after the half term so I'm hoping to kind of get my **** together this week and actually start knuckling down!! even though these exams are more just indicatory and have no impact on my UCAS or anything, I would be upset if I did poorly

Completely! I'm in a very similar position. I thought classwork/homework would be all I had to worry about this year really, and assessments in between, but knowing we still have A-Level exams to sit is making me feel pretty far behind. I wish you the best of luck; we can do this aha! I'm sure you'll do great.
No worries! X

Completely! I'm in a very similar position. I thought classwork/homework would be all I had to worry about this year really, and assessments in between, but knowing we still have A-Level exams to sit is making me feel pretty far behind. I wish you the best of luck; we can do this aha! I'm sure you'll do great.

Aww, thanks I'm sure you'll do great too!!!
I just came off the meeting :smile:
Original post by procrastinatingb

Aww. it's ok! Try to destress and maybe channel this into driving you to work more.
But remember to not burn out by working too much. :smile: Trying to find out why you are getting stressed out and a solution to this.

I feel the same. I was really expecting exams to be cancelled and I don't even know where to start with revision as I have already had to isolate from college on top of the time we lost over lockdown. I feel so behind :s-smilie:

I feel the same. I was really expecting exams to be cancelled and I don't even know where to start with revision as I have already had to isolate from college on top of the time we lost over lockdown. I feel so behind :s-smilie:
Original post by daisyr03

Exactly! I have to stay home still because of vulnerable family members, and it doesn't help. Such a stressful time, but at least we're all in it together.

If you want to talk you can message me anytime, or we could use this thread if OP is okay with it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest