The Student Room Group

law school choices opinions!!

I am considering all these universities for undergrad LLB HONS Law in London.
I would like to know what are your opinions.
If you have attended what were your experiences and anything else you can add.

•Kingston University
•Birbeck university
•Brunel University
•Goldsmiths university
•Roehampton University

Degree wise which one is better and which one would you be more valued by an employer?
None of your choices are 'top' Unis for Law. Birkbeck is an evening Uni designed for mostly for mature students. Brunel focusses on STEM subjects. Roehampton's focus is Humanities and Teaching. There's nothing wrong with the Unis you have chosen, just that they are not 'known' for Law. You'll probably be able to get a perfectly good job with a Law degree from one of them, not necessarily in Law, but you wont be in the picture for opportunities at top London Law firms.
Original post by McGinger
None of your choices are 'top' Unis for Law. Birkbeck is an evening Uni designed for mostly for mature students. Brunel focusses on STEM subjects. Roehampton's focus is Humanities and Teaching. There's nothing wrong with the Unis you have chosen, just that they are not 'known' for Law. You'll probably be able to get a perfectly good job with a Law degree from one of them, not necessarily in Law, but you wont be in the picture for opportunities at top London Law firms.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
My choices are now,
Kingston and Goldsmiths.
UCL and the University of Birmingham.
For my last choice do you recommend Roehampton or Brunel?
Original post by li.ou

Brighton : https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/law-llb-hons.aspx
Oxford Brookes : https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/law/

Both are bigger, more interesting Universities, and both are good for Social Science subjects.
Original post by li.ou
My choices are now,
Kingston and Goldsmiths.

What grades have you achieved/are predicted?
Original post by ageshallnot
What grades have you achieved/are predicted?

I'm not with a centre/school
at the moment but if I were to self predict I'd say.. A*AA or AAB
My International AS grades were. Eng Lit A & B. French A & A.. Spanish A & A
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by li.ou
I'm not with a centre/school
at the moment but if I were to self predict I'd say.. A*AA or AAB
My International AS grades were. Eng Lit A & B. French A & A.. Spanish A & A

In that case, subject to your GCSEs or their equivalent, you are probably wise to dump the lower ranked universities. Do you really need both Kingston and one of Roehampton/Brunel?
Original post by li.ou
My choices are now,
Kingston and Goldsmiths.

Neither. If you want to be close to London have you considered City or Royal Holloway or Reading? And do you know you will need to take the LNAT for UCL?

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76CN5ffJ7AIVze7tCh2zfQcvEAAYASAAEgIPnvD_BwE
Yes I was aware of the LNATS, but now upon further investigation I don't think UCL would be for me.
The ones I am contemplating now are :
Kingston
City University London
Brunel
ULAW
Royal Holloway

I still have a bit of time to think more about them since I'm only halfway through my personal statement .
(edited 3 years ago)
When I looked at London university for law I considered city, Greenwich and university of law (and then went to qmul) Greenwich seemed a nice campus type place?
Reply 10
If your grades really are equivalent to A*AA (and if the qualifications themselves are deemed acceptable qualifications by the universities) then you are seriously underselling yourself.
The universities you mentioned in your original post really aren’t good for law. You would struggle to be able to enter a legal career with a degree from those.
UCL is probably a good call. Birmingham is also decent. If I were you, I’d be looking at the Russell Group, perhaps exclusively as imo there is definitely a bias within the legal job market for the Russell Group. See which courses you like from those, and make your decision from there.
Original post by Catherine1973
When I looked at London university for law I considered city, Greenwich and university of law (and then went to qmul) Greenwich seemed a nice campus type place?

i got offers from royal holloway, brunel, city uni and qmul but qmul’s offer was a bit difficult. so i’ve to decide between royal and city. i did a lot of research and came to a conclusion that city is better, location wise and law degree wise. since you mentioned city university, do you think that my decision to go to city is good?
City was my second choice if I didn’t get qmul as had a good rep and good student scores and I liked the modules it did.
You are picking very very low grade institutions but with high predicted results which no one from the UK would do and will put off law firms recruiting you in future.
Have a look at this list which is a reasonable list of where the better law firms recruit from.https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending