The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

[POSTGRADUATE] Official 2021/22 Imperial College London Applicants Thread

Lets get this started nice and early shall we?

- Current University: King's College London
- Current Course: Mathematics (BSc)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (91 in Year 2, 77 in Year 1)
- Prospective Course: MSc Pure Mathematics
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford (OMMS)

Date application completed: 20 October
Offer received: 25 Feb (informal offer, subject to 2:1)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by k92e67
Lets get this started nice and early shall we?

Hi!!!

Yeah sure!! Applications havent been opened yet (at least for my course), but here is my profile:

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MSc Communications and Signal Processing
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hi!I'm a BPP distance learning student currently enrolled in BSc. Business Management. My expected grade is a 2:1 and I'm hoping to apply for the MSc Strategic Marketing course, though it feels like an impossible dream right now. 😅
Reply 3
Original post by Sfaradi
Hi!!!

Yeah sure!! Applications havent been opened yet (at least for my course), but here is my profile:

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MSc Communications and Signal Processing
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge

Original post by FR47
Hi!I'm a BPP distance learning student currently enrolled in BSc. Business Management. My expected grade is a 2:1 and I'm hoping to apply for the MSc Strategic Marketing course, though it feels like an impossible dream right now. 😅

Nice, im applying for the MSc Pure Math programme myself. Have you guys started writing the statement? I think applications open in October for everyone.
Reply 4
Original post by k92e67
Nice, im applying for the MSc Pure Math programme myself. Have you guys started writing the statement? I think applications open in October for everyone.

Not yet. Have you?
Reply 5
Original post by k92e67

Original post by FR47
Not yet. Have you?

I have started writing one for Cambridge, cause they're opened. And the one I'll submit to Imperial will have the same structure, so I guess I've got a pre-draft? Eitherway, I think tha the most difficult part is getting the references (on time, without getting a heart attack). Have you guys got your referees already chosen? Have you talked to them?
Reply 6
Original post by Sfaradi
I have started writing one for Cambridge, cause they're opened. And the one I'll submit to Imperial will have the same structure, so I guess I've got a pre-draft? Eitherway, I think tha the most difficult part is getting the references (on time, without getting a heart attack). Have you guys got your referees already chosen? Have you talked to them?

I have at least from the subject supervisor. However, my work references are another issue. The last person I worked with is probably not going to write me one and I worked with him the longest so worried about that. On what basis did you choose your referees?
Reply 7
Original post by FR47
Not yet. Have you?

Original post by Sfaradi

similar thing here, I've started writing my one for Oxford so I've got a general draft for the imperial one. Its taking me a long time to write as I get stuck a lot. Regarding references I emailed two of my professors last week and they agreed, so im just waiting for them to finish. But the hard thing for me is the statement.
Reply 8
- Current University: Durham University
- Current Course: Computer Science (BSc)
- Achieved Grade: First Class Honours
- Prospective Course: MSc Advanced Computing
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge (MPhil Advanced Computer Science)
Hi guys

I graduated with an MSc in Artificial Intelligence (2:1) from Heriot-Watt University in December of 2019. I've applied for a second MSc in Aplplied Machine Learning at ICL.

I would love to know if any of you have applied to the same course.
Wanted to transition to MSc Computing but I was gutted when I saw the tuition fee increased to from £14.5k to £18.5k + new £80 application fee. I feel like the Computing Department is really trying to turn away domestic students. UCL is equally guilty for hiking the price from £13.5k to £16k. Those are way beyond the postgraduate loan amount
Original post by AndyChow
Wanted to transition to MSc Computing but I was gutted when I saw the tuition fee increased to from £14.5k to £18.5k + new £80 application fee. I feel like the Computing Department is really trying to turn away domestic students. UCL is equally guilty for hiking the price from £13.5k to £16k. Those are way beyond the postgraduate loan amount

It is clear that a big part of the tuition fees are the ICL and UCL brand names. Anyone that goes to these schools will have an advantage once employers see those names on their CV. Also, I think that these universities took a huge hit from COVID so they're having to make up for it. Imagine being an international student, like me :-/
Original post by TuttiFrutti1997
It is clear that a big part of the tuition fees are the ICL and UCL brand names. Anyone that goes to these schools will have an advantage once employers see those names on their CV. Also, I think that these universities took a huge hit from COVID so they're having to make up for it. Imagine being an international student, like me :-/

Science departments aren't as expensive even though they cost a lot more to run, especially chemistry/biochem. In computing all they need is a room, and a computer from last year...which cost peanuts. I feel the computing department is 100% price gouging due to the programming/AI/ML hype in recent years. And I hate to admit it, im part of the problem.

I just wanted to future-proof myself because I think cs skills will be very useful in the job market even outside the computing industry
(edited 3 years ago)
- Current University: Accounting and Finance degree; graduated a few years ago; Hong Kong top uni
- Current Course: Working in business field
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2:1
- Prospective Course: MSc Climate Change, Management & Finance
- Other Universities you’re applying to: LSE, U of Edinburgh

Interviewed last week so it's a long wait for me now.
- Current University: LSE
- Current Course: BSc Accounting & Finance
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First Class (92% Cumulative)
- Prospective Course: MSc Finance
- Other Universities you’re applying to: MSc Finance Durham, MPhil Finance Cambridge
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
- Current University: University of Surrey
- Current Course: Aerospace Engineering
- Achieved Grade: First Class Honours
- Prospective Course: MSc Advanced Aeronautical Engineering
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Southampton (Accepted)

I applied 2 weeks ago now just waiting for a decision.
Has anyone applied to Mathematics and Finance and/or Applied Mathematics?
Reply 17
I submitted my application for MSc Pure Mathematics 5 weeks ago and I am also still waiting
- Current University: undergrad at Durham, postgrad at UCL
- Current Course: Law
- Achieved Grade: 2:1
- Prospective Course: MSc Management
- Other Universities you’re applying to: UCL, LSE

Intereviewed last wk so now just waiting...
Original post by shirokun
- Current University: Accounting and Finance degree; graduated a few years ago; Hong Kong top uni
- Current Course: Working in business field
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2:1
- Prospective Course: MSc Climate Change, Management & Finance
- Other Universities you’re applying to: LSE, U of Edinburgh

Interviewed last week so it's a long wait for me now.

I’m secretly hoping they get back to us this wk or next bc we applied so early!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending