The Student Room Group

Will guys still date a girl with a facial scar?

Hi, so 1 year ago this month I got a dog bite on my face. I am fine and all thats left is a scar. When I first got it I was so embarrassed and just told my class mates that I fell over.

I already had a small scar hidden below my nose from when I was 7, but its old and I'm used to it. But this scar is right above the corner of my mouth and so visible to me. My friends tried to tell me that it was barely visible. But I have a feeling that they were just trying to make me feel better.

When I took the steri strips and glue off after a week the cut was so red and angry. I couldn't cover it up. I felt so exposed. I went to see a facial surgeon 2 months later and he said it was healing well, but would take 2 years to full heal before I could get anything down to it to minimise it.

Now it is just a white, raised Y shape, but it still bothers me a lot. I might be able to cover it up with foundation and distract from it with lipstick, but the texture is still there on my lip. I worry a lot that it will be a turn off for many men. Sometimes I just feel like Gill from finding Nemo 😥

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I read your post, it reminded me about a range called Dermablend which can be used to cover scars. There are other ranges but this is one which I have seen.

It's worth a try.

https://www.boots.com/vichy/discover-vichy-dermablend
(edited 3 years ago)
I would.
Hi there
Pomello, how have you been? It has been a long time since I saw you here.😊
I can understand that you feel insecure about it. I will not lie to you. I guess there are some men out there who will not like that scare on your face. Though, I am not sure you should even consider them.
Because many men would not mind in the slightest a scare on your face.
They are not dating your face. They are dating you. They will love you the way you are.😊
I agree with @Ackhnologia
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
When I read your post, it reminded me about a range called Dermablend which can be used to cover scars. There are other ranges but this is one which I have seen.

It's worth a try.

https://www.boots.com/vichy/discover-vichy-dermablend

Thank you I will look into it. Might need to save up for it tho 😭
Reply 6
Original post by Ackhnologia
Hi there
Pomello, how have you been? It has been a long time since I saw you here.😊
I can understand that you feel insecure about it. I will not lie to you. I guess there are some men out there who will not like that scare on your face. Though, I am not sure you should even consider them.
Because many men would not mind in the slightest a scare on your face.
They are not dating your face. They are dating you. They will love you the way you are.😊

Thank you. Thankfully no strangers pointed it out yet, even when I had the tape on my mouth. I'm just worried that it might colour people's opinions if me. I used to have this work friend who would call anyones attention to my cut when they came to talk with us at work. He was a nice guy, but he would joke that I was part of a fight club or got into a bar brawl or something. I know he was probably trying to defuse any awkwardness with humour, but I don't know how I feel about it. I probably would have prefered not to talk about it before.
Original post by Pomello
Thank you. Thankfully no strangers pointed it out yet, even when I had the tape on my mouth. I'm just worried that it might colour people's opinions if me. I used to have this work friend who would call anyones attention to my cut when they came to talk with us at work. He was a nice guy, but he would joke that I was part of a fight club or got into a bar brawl or something. I know he was probably trying to defuse any awkwardness with humour, but I don't know how I feel about it. I probably would have prefered not to talk about it before.

Oh well
Get it
If it makes feel uneasy, maybe you should tell him.
But do you really feel like that scare makes you "ugly" in some way?
Then I do not know. I guess if that is the case, you will do what kerzen said.
For me, I am sure a man who likes you will not mind. But it is your body. So at the end of the day, if you do not like that scare, then I guess you want to do something.
Reply 8
Original post by Ackhnologia
Oh well
Get it
If it makes feel uneasy, maybe you should tell him.
But do you really feel like that scare makes you "ugly" in some way?
Then I do not know. I guess if that is the case, you will do what kerzen said.
For me, I am sure a man who likes you will not mind. But it is your body. So at the end of the day, if you do not like that scare, then I guess you want to do something.

I do feel like this scar makes me feel more insecure. Thinking that my bite would scar was probably one of the first things I thought about when I came around in the living room, that and having nerve damage. I do wear makeup everytime I go out, but I can't get any laser therapy until next year and even then it will probably cost so much I wont be able to afford it.
l would date a girl with a facial scar and stretch marks as the girl has a brain as well
Reply 10
If I cover up my scar with makeup and then ask a guy out will he think that I have tricked him or something when he sees me without makeup? I'm just worried that, combined with the rest of my face without makeup, he will think it looks bad and offputting. Any advice on how to soften the blow of the reveal?
Reply 11
Original post by Pomello
If I cover up my scar with makeup and then ask a guy out will he think that I have tricked him or something when he sees me without makeup? I'm just worried that, combined with the rest of my face without makeup, he will think it looks bad and offputting. Any advice on how to soften the blow of the reveal?

You do an awful lot of worrying I notice.

try to stop it.

worrying does you no good in the long run, and often has the effect of making you not take action (dating wise) because you think you're not good enough because of ....xyz (i'm speaking from experience)
Reply 12
Original post by ANM775
You do an awful lot of worrying I notice.

try to stop it.

worrying does you no good in the long run, and often has the effect of making you not take action (dating wise) because you think you're not good enough because of ....xyz (i'm speaking from experience)

Thanks for your advice. I know I do worry a lot and ot does hold me back, but I'm worried if I don't refrain then it might all just end in tears. I just want to mske sure I plan for everything.
Reply 13
A scar on the side of your mouth is the most obscure thing. Most people have some sort of scar somewhere, I actually have one on the side of my forehead. Nobody cares, I doubt anyone really even notices :dontknow: Really not a big deal.
i can almost guarantee that noone cares about it more than you do, you have to love your imperfections!
Original post by Pomello
I do feel like this scar makes me feel more insecure. Thinking that my bite would scar was probably one of the first things I thought about when I came around in the living room, that and having nerve damage. I do wear makeup everytime I go out, but I can't get any laser therapy until next year and even then it will probably cost so much I wont be able to afford it.

Original post by Pomello

Well
It is quite understandable.
You could try to hide with make up, when you go out. Like try to watch tuto on YouTube about it. Maybe you might get a make up technique that will be helpful.
But honestly, I do wonder if it is worth doing it. Cause even if a guy (let's say you are dating) do not see it the first time he meet you, he might see it later. A day when you might not wear any make up.
And he might get upset because you hid it from the get go.
Seeing that that scar make you feel insecure, then you might just put a make up when you go out, in order to feel a bit better. But if you meet a potential partner, I think you should let them know that you have that scar on your face. Cause they will see it sooner or later; unless that scar disappear.
100%, I have a facial scar as well so it would be the perfect match for me :biggrin:
Yes, guys would date girls with facial scars, in fact, some guys find it attractive. In terms of the actual scar though, how bad is it really? because if it's not terrible you could probably get a 0.5mm derma roller and use it on your face twice a week and see if it improves the appearance.
I havent got a facial scar but ive got one on the top of my head, and when i go bald (hair cut wise) it shows. But im proud of it, its my little story. All your scars, be it acne, dog bites, cat scratches, self-harm , they all tell a story and you should be a proud story teller.

Also scars are bad-ass af
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
I havent got a facial scar but ive got one on the top of my head, and when i go bald (hair cut wise) it shows. But im proud of it, its my little story. All your scars, be it acne, dog bites, cat scratches, self-harm , they all tell a story and you should be a proud story teller.

Also scars are bad-ass af

Agreed, "How beautiful you are, a tapestry of scars"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending