The Student Room Group

Please help

I'm calculating the RAM for this question:
The relative atomic mass of sulphur is 32 and of oxygen it is 16. The compound shown below contains 80g of sulphur and 120g of oxygen. What is value of x?
SO(Lower)x
I'm getting this:
80/32->2.5
120/60->2
Because 2 is smaller:
2.5/2->1.25
2/2->1
How do I make it a whole number?
Because right now its
1.25:1
Reply 1
I really need a helpful reply within the next half an hour, I've wasted enough time already
Reply 2
anyone?
:bump:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm calculating the RAM for this question:
The relative atomic mass of sulphur is 32 and of oxygen it is 16. The compound shown below contains 80g of sulphur and 120g of oxygen. What is value of x?
SO(Lower)x
I'm getting this:
80/32->2.5
120/60->2
Because 2 is smaller:
2.5/2->1.25
2/2->1
How do I make it a whole number?
Because right now its
1.25:1

Why have you done 120/60?
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
Why have you done 120/60?

because it is the mass over atomic mass
because it is the mass over atomic mass

Yup but the atomic mass is 16
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
Yup but the atomic mass is 16

:facepalm:
Thank you so much for pointing that out. These types of silly mistakes are what hinders me from getting higher...
I'll give it a go and update once I've finished
Reply 7
@GabiAbi84
I got x as 3, which seems reasonable.
Once again, I'm very grateful for your help. It was a simple question, but this has reminded me to pay more attention and read the question thoroughly in a real exam situation.
@GabiAbi84
I got x as 3, which seems reasonable.
Once again, I'm very grateful for your help. It was a simple question, but this has reminded me to pay more attention and read the question thoroughly in a real exam situation.

No worries.
It’s easily done to make a simple mistake at the very beginning and then not catch it when trying to work out where you went wrong.
Always helpful to recheck all figures if you get a figure that doesn’t seem to be working out.
You knew How to do it which is the main part, but losing marks due to copying wrong numbers is a harsh way to drop them.
Reply 9
-So I used ratios for the origianl massessulfur:redface:xygen32:162:1-then i found out the ratio for the new masses80:1202:3so x is 3 as 2 is common in both ratios I'm not sure if thats the right method but 3 is definitely the answer so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending