The Student Room Group

Tenancy agreement for friends

If you are sharing a house with two friends, does anyone have any help about the tenancy agreement, rent and expenses?

Should it be in joint names or as permitted occupiers?

How do we agree the split of bills and expenses?
Expenses are usually divided up equally between all adult tenants with access to student loans, regular source of employment income or savings.
Sometimes individual tenants share of rent or bills is discounted to reflect special circumstances or alternative household arrangements.
For example: dog owner agrees to pay more rent to cover occupying the largest bedroom with the dog, pay for all damage caused by their pet and may be willing to pay a larger share of the bills than everyone else to encourage other tenants to look after/feed/walk their dog.
Original post by londonmyst
Expenses are usually divided up equally between all adult tenants with access to student loans, regular source of employment income or savings.
Sometimes individual tenants share of rent or bills is discounted to reflect special circumstances or alternative household arrangements.
For example: dog owner agrees to pay more rent to cover occupying the largest bedroom with the dog, pay for all damage caused by their pet and may be willing to pay a larger share of the bills than everyone else to encourage other tenants to look after/feed/walk their dog.

Thanks. The letting agent is saying that the agreement should be written up not in joint names but as the others as permitted occupiers. Is that ok to do? Should the expenses split be written into a contract too?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Thanks. The letting agent is saying that the agreement should be written up not in joint names but as the others as permitted occupiers. Is that ok to do? Should the expenses split be written into a contract too?

Yes, the lettings agents instructions sound okay.
Make sure that all rent amounts and bill payments shares are specified, particularly if any one tenant or a couple in a relationship have agreed to pay more than everyone else.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, the lettings agents instructions sound okay.
Make sure that all rent amounts and bill payments shares are specified, particularly if any one tenant or a couple in a relationship have agreed to pay more than everyone else.

ok. I thought that it needed to be in joint names the tenancy otherwise I could end up with problems if things go wrong.
If you are sharing a house with two friends, does anyone have any help about the tenancy agreement, rent and expenses?

Should it be in joint names or as permitted occupiers?

How do we agree the split of bills and expenses?

Hey @Kutie Karen!

I think I would agree with you there saying that everyone needs to have their name on the tenancy agreement and not just be permitted occupiers
Otherwise they could leave the tenancy agreement and you be left with paying their rent

I would express your concerns to the agents and ask for them to change this.

Are bills included in your contract or separate?
In my student house our bills are separate - one person has the bills in their name and we all transfer them money when the bills come out :smile:

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
ok. I thought that it needed to be in joint names the tenancy otherwise I could end up with problems if things go wrong.

How many named tenants and permitted occupiers will you be living with? :confused:

Permitted occupiers are not liable for rent or bills, except perhaps council tax.
Permitted occupiers have no right to continue occupying the property after the tenants ends their tenancy but are not bound by the tenancy obligations as tenants are.
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @Kutie Karen!

I think I would agree with you there saying that everyone needs to have their name on the tenancy agreement and not just be permitted occupiers
Otherwise they could leave the tenancy agreement and you be left with paying their rent

In my student house our bills are separate - one person has the bills in their name and we all transfer them money when the bills come out :smile:

I hope this helps!

Thanks. The agent says it will affect the insurance. I don't get it.
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @Kutie Karen!

I hope this helps!

and he says that is how tenancy are now drawn up due to law changes. Is that true though?
and he says that is how tenancy are now drawn up due to law changes. Is that true though?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/renting-with-other-people/

Quick Reply