The Student Room Group

Welsh bacc + 2 A-Levels

I'm currently in yr13, and I study biology, RE, Psychology and welsh bacc with predicted grades of ABBC (C in biology) and I need ABB to get into my first choice university. I'm struggling with the work load of the 4 subjects so I'm thinking of dropping biology as I didn't do well in AS (D) and I'm struggling with it and know I wont do great. the universities I've chosen all take the welsh bacc as an A-Level but I'm worried that they won't like the facts that I only have 2 other subjects. I know if I drop it I could spend more time on the other subjects and possibly get all As. but I'm not sure what to do.
will the universities still give me offers, or will they most likely choose those who have 3 A-levels (not including bacc) over me
Original post by anest
I'm currently in yr13, and I study biology, RE, Psychology and welsh bacc with predicted grades of ABBC (C in biology) and I need ABB to get into my first choice university. I'm struggling with the work load of the 4 subjects so I'm thinking of dropping biology as I didn't do well in AS (D) and I'm struggling with it and know I wont do great. the universities I've chosen all take the welsh bacc as an A-Level but I'm worried that they won't like the facts that I only have 2 other subjects. I know if I drop it I could spend more time on the other subjects and possibly get all As. but I'm not sure what to do.
will the universities still give me offers, or will they most likely choose those who have 3 A-levels (not including bacc) over me

I think it depends on the uni and Cardiff would be fine with it, for example, because they accept the Welsh Bacc as being equivalent to an A level

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/policies-and-procedures/qualification-acceptance

But the best thing you can do is phone or email the Admissions office of the unis you are interested in and ask them this question directly, before dropping an A level. If Admissions say they are happy with it, then there is no problem
Mae sawl prifysgol yn fodlon ystyried y Bac yn gyfystyr â Safon A llawn o dan bob amgylchiadau. Felly fyddai dim problem mewn gollwng Bioleg.

Byddai well cadarnhau hyn gyda'r prifysgolion unigol, fodd bynnag.

Ble wyt ti eisiau astudio?
Original post by 学生の父
Mae sawl prifysgol yn fodlon ystyried y Bac yn gyfystyr â Safon A llawn o dan bob amgylchiadau. Felly fyddai dim problem mewn gollwng Bioleg.

Byddai well cadarnhau hyn gyda'r prifysgolion unigol, fodd bynnag.

Ble wyt ti eisiau astudio?

What he said
Original post by harrysbar
What he said

It's basically what you said first!

I checked that translate.google.co.uk made a good job of translation before posting.
Basically all Welsh universities and many English universities accept Welsh Bac as one of your 3 A levels. You do need to check which unis dont and from memory they tend to be Oxbridge, London Universities, Durham and Warwick. Do check though as it might have changed. The other issue is whether 2 A levels and Welsh Bac counts as full time study. Speak to your school or college before deciding to proceed.

You could continue with Biology and just put the effort in the other 3 as if you get a U it wont affect you as long as you sit the exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
In yr 13 . Hi I’m studying A level maths biology welsh bac and community studies BTEC.If I drop maths woul I be able to go to university?
Original post by Gethin Evans
In yr 13 . Hi I’m studying A level maths biology welsh bac and community studies BTEC.If I drop maths woul I be able to go to university?

It's currently time for you to decide on your UCAS choices, so you should have a fair idea by now of where you'd like to study.

I would ask your potential unis directly if a combination of A-level Biology, your BTEC and the Welsh Bac would be enough for them.

Do you have a uni/course in mind?
Reply 8
I know a girl who’s studying Sociology at the University of Exeter with A Levels in History and Maths with the addition of Welsh Bacc.
It didn’t seem to hinder her application in any way, but it’s always best to check with potential Unis on what their stance is on Welsh Bacc.

Quick Reply

Latest