The Student Room Group

Gym Tip

im an 18 year old male 6ft 1 and i weigh around 83kg i wouldn't say im overweight ( maybe a little ) but due to my height it doesnt look it but i can see from myself . i have a good phsyqiue and wide broad shoulders as a good basis, i wanted to get some tips on the gymlife and one question i had was about creatine and if its worth taking as a pre workout drink . i went for a few days and due to my shocking sleeping schedule stopped going.
Reply 1
Creatine is one of the only supplements that's actually scientifically proven to work so it's worth taking if you want. It will help you get a couple more reps per set and therefore a bit more training volume. It accumulates in your body after taking it several times so taking it as a pre-workout has no benefit over taking it at any other time. Use it whenever it's convenient (which for you may be in a pre-workout).
Yes, creatine is a proven supplement that can add fuel to your workout.

However, it ain't worth **** unless you got good sleeping habits, eating for recovery, and a well-structured program that provides the appropriate amount of stress. Neglecting any of these and taking creatine in the hope to get bigger and stronger won't get you anywhere.

Couple creatine with what I mentioned above and it's helpful. Useful.... I'd say no. Merely there to aid the lifts, but in terms of offering anything to the progression I'd say it has no effect at all. If you end up taking it and manage 2 extra reps at x amount of weight, congratulations. But it's not going to offer any progression past that point. What I mentioned above is what will.

Just mentioning this as I don't think people should get too indulged in pre-workout, creatine supplements, etc when really it's food, programming, and sleep which are the driving forces for hypertrophy and strength. Can easily blind them.
Reply 3
Creatine is one of the mosr researched supplements out there and seems to work. But its only a supplement. A supplement to a good diet, well structured programme, sleeping and rest schedule etc. Using a construction analogy, you wouldn't start building a house and decorating it on top of poor and shakey foundations would you?
What are your training goals?

Also with creatine, it seems to be one that you need to be taking on a consistent regular basis. Most products require a loading phase of a few days before it gets into your system. So it's probably not the best thing to use as a pre workout.
If you take creatine, take 5g of monohydrate everyday until you die.
Find a fitness trainer.
Original post by tinygirl96
Find a fitness trainer.

What’s that got to do with creatine?
Reply 7
Original post by Khanthebrit
Yes, creatine is a proven supplement that can add fuel to your workout.

However, it ain't worth **** unless you got good sleeping habits, eating for recovery, and a well-structured program that provides the appropriate amount of stress. Neglecting any of these and taking creatine in the hope to get bigger and stronger won't get you anywhere.

Couple creatine with what I mentioned above and it's helpful. Useful.... I'd say no. Merely there to aid the lifts, but in terms of offering anything to the progression I'd say it has no effect at all. If you end up taking it and manage 2 extra reps at x amount of weight, congratulations. But it's not going to offer any progression past that point. What I mentioned above is what will.

Just mentioning this as I don't think people should get too indulged in pre-workout, creatine supplements, etc when really it's food, programming, and sleep which are the driving forces for hypertrophy and strength. Can easily blind them.

(sorry for my late reply) - ye man for sure i see your points! you can have the little things to help and boost you abit but the main nitty gritty of it is sleeping and eating well which tbh i need to sort out and then get a structured routine like you said about . i see your point of it just helping for the few reps but nothing to major! thank you for the help
Reply 8
creatine increases DHT hormones which promote hair loss
Reply 9
Original post by kkona
creatine increases DHT hormones which promote hair loss

lol thats 100% false been debunked already

Quick Reply

Latest