The Student Room Group

why are universities being delusional with their entry requirements for 2021

and is there a good chance they will drop them, they need to get a grip

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MrSoloDolo
and is there a good chance they will drop them, they need to get a grip

I didn't realise they'd changed much more than they normally change year on year, they just change them to fit the expected demand.
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
I didn't realise they'd changed much more than they normally change year on year, they just change them to fit the expected demand.

hello mate, i was planning to go liverpool last year with ABB but didn’t get that because didn’t sit my exams, they now are asking for AAA

surely this won’t stand, i know liverpool is an RG but it’s not aaa level
what is the point of this thread?
They're not being delusional, they're responding to demand. If the course is very oversubscribed, they can afford to reject the lowest performing candidates and they will still fill the course with no problems.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
They're not being delusional, they're responding to demand. If the course is very oversubscribed, they can afford to reject the lowest performing candidates and they will still fill the course with no problems.

well they are because universities like portsmouth are now asking for no lower than Bs

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by EU Yakov
what is the point of this thread?

what is the point of your useless comment... I was just asking a question why bottom grade unis are now even asking for Bs🧐
well they are because universities like portsmouth are now asking for no lower than Bs

No, that's because the course at Portsmouth is undersubscribed and they are struggling to fill the course.

To answer your original question, no, they won't lower their requirements during the main cycle. It's too late now and wouldn't be fair on applicants they've made unsuccessful. They may lower requirements during Clearing though, if they find they've been quite optimistic with the new criteria.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
No, that's because the course at Portsmouth is undersubscribed and they are struggling to fill the course.

To answer your original question, no, they won't lower their requirements during the main cycle. It's too late now and wouldn't be fair on applicants they've made unsuccessful. They may lower requirements during Clearing though, if they find they've been quite optimistic with the new criteria.

thanks i appreciate this reply much more than your last patronising one👍🏼

i do feel like many of them will come back down to reality but we will see, if not maybe i will be stuck in a bad position, i’m not an aaa student but rather an abb—aab at best student so this may prove to be tricky

i will still retake one of my Bs and one of my Cs yo aim
for ABB/AAB, not sure about going to uni next year anyway so i should be able to get into a decent rg (not a top one) the year after next if they still take the piss with these requirements
Reply 9
Original post by EU Yakov
sounds like a thread where you're hoping that people will make you feel better about your mediocre grades...

no lol, well i do feel robbed because i wasn’t even allowed to physically sit my exams i don’t want sympathy

but it’s definitely not outlandish to suggest that universities are being unrealistic
No one is forcing you to apply to a university if you think the requirements are too high

You're also allowed to apply to a university with any (or even no) predicted grades - even if you're way below what they're asking for. Many universities make aspirational offers to applicants with predicted grades lower than their standard offer, others will make contextual offers lower than their standard offer. You have 5 choices there's no need to have more than 1 or 2 "safe" choices (as long as they're safe choices that you'd be happy with)
no lol, well i do feel robbed because i wasn’t even allowed to physically sit my exams i don’t want sympathy

but it’s definitely not outlandish to suggest that universities are being unrealistic

I think partly it's a marketing thing.

Liverpool want to attract better students and think they will do that by asking for AAA.

I don't personally see them as an AAA uni as there are better places for the real AAA students to go, but maybe they will end up attracting a few more of the AAB/ABB students who are their real market by asking for higher grades
Original post by PQ
No one is forcing you to apply to a university if you think the requirements are too high

You're also allowed to apply to a university with any (or even no) predicted grades - even if you're way below what they're asking for. Many universities make aspirational offers to applicants with predicted grades lower than their standard offer, others will make contextual offers lower than their standard offer. You have 5 choices there's no need to have more than 1 or 2 "safe" choices (as long as they're safe choices that you'd be happy with)

i know it’s just frustrating that unis take advantage of this, i didn’t choose to not take my exams and now i have to compete against double the international/retake students as usual...
Original post by harrysbar
I think partly it's a marketing thing.

Liverpool want to attract better students and think they will do that by asking for AAA.

I don't personally see them as an AAA uni as there are better places for the real AAA students to go, but maybe they will end up attracting a few more of the AAB/ABB students who are their real market by asking for higher grades

thanks for this, i think the best course of action is for me to retake 2 of my a levels, get abb/aab if i can. and then see if liverpool let’s me in, and yeah i know they aren’t an aaa uni, thats why i was banking on them letting me in last year because i believed i was going to get an abb

it’s just a bit scummy from the unis, but i guess they’re just playing into their own best interests
thanks for this, i think the best course of action is for me to retake 2 of my a levels, get abb/aab if i can. and then see if liverpool let’s me in, and yeah i know they aren’t an aaa uni, thats why i was banking on them letting me in last year because i believed i was going to get an abb

it’s just a bit scummy from the unis, but i guess they’re just playing into their own best interests

Yes they will do what is best for them and fair enough I guess. It will be good for you career wise to aim for aab/abb anyway and you will be able to get into a good uni with that
i know it’s just frustrating that unis take advantage of this, i didn’t choose to not take my exams and now i have to compete against double the international/retake students as usual...

You could have done the autumn exams if you weren't intending on starting uni in 2020 due to COVID-19?
Original post by 1st superstar
You could have done the autumn exams if you weren't intending on starting uni in 2020 due to COVID-19?

no sorry i didn’t want to do that this year... should have clarified, but this gap year is helping me in decide what i want to do, while i save up money and pursue my other entrepreneurial ideas :smile:

i’m pretty set on retaking independently and hopefully the unis don’t take the piss with the grades anymore, if they do than i don’t mind taking another gap year..
no sorry i didn’t want to do that this year...

So you did choose to not take exams then.
no sorry i didn’t want to do that this year... should have clarified, but this gap year is helping me in decide what i want to do, while i save up money and pursue my other entrepreneurial ideas :smile:

i’m pretty set on retaking independently and hopefully the unis don’t take the piss with the grades anymore, if they do than i don’t mind taking another gap year..

Then tough luck if you're choosing not to sit exams despite taking a gap year? If anything it's 2021 cohort students who aren't intending to take a gap or pupils who have to sit the autumn or 2021 summer exams who should be complaining.
Original post by College_Student7
So you did choose to not take exams then.

no i said i CHOSE NOT TO DO IT IN AUTUMN

lol, don’t take it out of context

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending