The Student Room Group

Really struggling at uni

I’ve been here a month now and it’s been really up and down. It was a really big step for me so I always knew it would be hard but it’s just so tough. I feel anxious so much and it’s getting to the point where I just feel exhausted. I’m struggling to stay on top of all the work - although mainly I think this is in my head because I’m such a perfectionist. I feel panicky when I think about taking a break which I know isn’t right. I’m going to speak to my personal tutor about this but I’m worried they won’t be able to help.
I’m also going on a date which I’m so nervous about! Everyone who knows about it has really been bigging it up and putting loads of pressure on it so I feel anxious about that too.
I’m just fed up of feeling anxious about everything - if it carries on I don’t know how I’m going to cope.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been here a month now and it’s been really up and down. It was a really big step for me so I always knew it would be hard but it’s just so tough. I feel anxious so much and it’s getting to the point where I just feel exhausted. I’m struggling to stay on top of all the work - although mainly I think this is in my head because I’m such a perfectionist. I feel panicky when I think about taking a break which I know isn’t right. I’m going to speak to my personal tutor about this but I’m worried they won’t be able to help.
I’m also going on a date which I’m so nervous about! Everyone who knows about it has really been bigging it up and putting loads of pressure on it so I feel anxious about that too.
I’m just fed up of feeling anxious about everything - if it carries on I don’t know how I’m going to cope.

Hi,

What specifically are your anxious about?

Relax and go with the flow regarding the date.

Some useful numbers:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service
Original post by Analyst89
Hi,

Some useful numbers:

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

The samaritans and mind are actually very useful highly recommend. One of my friends went thru the same thing as you OP so they do help if you ever wanna chat
Reply 3
Original post by Analyst89
Hi,

Some useful numbers:

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

I think a lot of it is general anxiety and feeling overwhelmed by all of the new things I’m experiencing but also because I have so much work I feel like I don’t have time to do things for myself, even things like food shopping or laundry. And I know this isn’t healthy. The anxiety comes from me overthinking a lot and not being able to view things logically.
Thank you for the pointers with help lines :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tbi_zlx
The samaritans and mind are actually very useful highly recommend. One of my friends went thru the same thing as you OP so they do help if you ever wanna chat

Thank you :smile: it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who has struggled with these things!
I think a lot of it is general anxiety and feeling overwhelmed by all of the new things I’m experiencing but also because I have so much work I feel like I don’t have time to do things for myself, even things like food shopping or laundry. And I know this isn’t healthy. The anxiety comes from me overthinking a lot and not being able to view things logically.
Thank you for the pointers with help lines :smile:

Can you talk to someone you can trust about this too?

I think relaxation exercises will help too.

I’m more worried by the fact you can’t keep on top of your work

Perhaps forget about playing the sympathy card ... get on with your work to try getting your grades and then make something of it to get you a future.

As for the date, we I think we have restrictions that stop us from doing that (if you are in a high risk area) so I wouldn’t be too worried about that.

And stop being a pussy lmao. Just on with your work

Quick Reply

Latest