The Student Room Group

Masters

How hard is it to apply to Oxbridge for Masters? I am planning to take masters in Real Estates Msc.
Original post by Georgelennon
How hard is it to apply to Oxbridge for Masters? I am planning to take masters in Real Estates Msc.

Oxbridge offer an MSc in Real estate?

Looks like Cambridge offer an MSt which is not the same as an MSc and reading their site is more for professionals in industry to complete part-time presumably whilst working. How competitive is it? I dont know...
I suspect its the sort of thing people who work for a big asset management company or real estate financiers send their associates onto to give them some CV clout to advertise to clients.
Original post by mnot
Oxbridge offer an MSc in Real estate?

Looks like Cambridge offer an MSt which is not the same as an MSc and reading their site is more for professionals in industry to complete part-time presumably whilst working. How competitive is it? I dont know...
I suspect its the sort of thing people who work for a big asset management company or real estate financiers send their associates onto to give them some CV clout to advertise to clients.

My apologies, I misread the course offer degree. In my humble opinion, the master's course sounds great to me. Correct me if I am wrong but the so called CV clout may not apply to all companies right? I mean I am an international student applying to study in the UK, does it matter that I need some kind of working experience in order to go to Cambridge? In addition what I asked earlier, does the university grade matter more or the working experience?
My apologies, I misread the course offer degree. In my humble opinion, the master's course sounds great to me. Correct me if I am wrong but the so called CV clout may not apply to all companies right? I mean I am an international student applying to study in the UK, does it matter that I need some kind of working experience in order to go to Cambridge? In addition what I asked earlier, does the university grade matter more or the working experience?

You would have to ask Cambridge, but reading the course webpage I think the professional experience is quite important as they specify a minimum of 3 years experience & its part time, so their is probably an expectation that you are currently working in the field in which you wish to apply this degree to...
Original post by mnot
You would have to ask Cambridge, but reading the course webpage I think the professional experience is quite important as they specify a minimum of 3 years experience & its part time, so their is probably an expectation that you are currently working in the field in which you wish to apply this degree to...

Alright. I will take note of that. How about interviews? I read in one of the University's website that they won't have any kind of interview for postgraduate students. I am not too sure if that is true as I recall they do interview undergraduate canditates. What do you think of this?
Alright. I will take note of that. How about interviews? I read in one of the University's website that they won't have any kind of interview for postgraduate students. I am not too sure if that is true as I recall they do interview undergraduate canditates. What do you think of this?

Yes, the undergrad interviews are notorious.

But grad school is different, the application process is very different as well. If they say online they dont interview then I have no reason to doubt that but you can always email & ask to confirm. (I do know of other masters programs at Cambridge that dont interview so it wouldn't surprise me, and probably an indicator this is not as competitive as other Cambridge degrees).

TBH this program seems rather unusual, and is likely designed to cater to a niche audience.
Original post by mnot
Yes, the undergrad interviews are notorious.

But grad school is different, the application process is very different as well. If they say online they dont interview then I have no reason to doubt that but you can always email & ask to confirm. (I do know of other masters programs at Cambridge that dont interview so it wouldn't surprise me, and probably an indicator this is not as competitive as other Cambridge degrees).

TBH this program seems rather unusual, and is likely designed to cater to a niche audience.

Anyways. Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions that may seem a bit different than what you are used to. I am just super curious. In fact, I am still filling out UCAS and almost done. All I need to do now is confirm and sent it to the university of my insurance choice. To be fair, I am actually stuck in a dilemma at the moment as I need to gain good grades in my final year exam. I am not really a student who gets straight As. More of the opposite, Cs and Ds. At the end of the day, I might go through the clearing process as the course that I do might not be good enough. Sorry if I waffle on about something else. I am just really overwhelmed with what is going on now
(edited 3 years ago)
Anyways. Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions that may seem a bit different than what you are used to. I am just super curious. In fact, I am still filling out UCAS and almost done. All I need to do now is confirm and sent it to the university of my insurance choice. I am actually stuck in a dilemma at the moment as I need to gain good grades in my final year exam. I am not really a student who gets straight As. More of the opposite, Cs and Ds. And the end of the day, I might go through the clearing process as the course that I do might not be good enough. Sorry if I waffle on about something else. I am just really overwhelmed with what is going on

No problem but just a heads up:
I highly doubt you can apply for this MSt course on UCAS, it will require a strong undergraduate degree & they likely have a separate application portal for graduate students.

Additionally Cambridge are unlikely to consider a student with Cs & Ds, realistically most students need As & A*s. (and the deadline for a 2021 Cambridge application has already been & gone).

That said once you get an undergrad degree you will be able to apply for this course, and your high school grades wont be a factor (but your uni ones will).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
No problem but just a heads up:
I highly doubt you can apply for this MSt course on UCAS, it will require a strong undergraduate degree & they likely have a separate application portal for graduate students.

Additionally Cambridge are unlikely to consider a student with Cs & Ds, realistically most students need As & A*s. (and the deadline for a 2021 Cambridge application has already been & gone).

That said once you get an undergrad degree you will be able to apply for this course, and your high school grades wont be a factor (but your uni ones will).

Thank you so much. I understand. I guess I know what will happen now but I will do my best for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending