The Student Room Group

PWC Student Career Focus Day

Hi guys
I am going to attend the PWC student Career Focus Days in 10 days. I want to know what tasks are included? I am a little bit concerned about the writing test. If anyone who did this assessment recently, please can you share some feedback?
thank you

Scroll to see replies

Hi, there were two group exercises where you had a lot of information to get through and then you had to prepare a presentation to a partner and one to a potential client. The writing task was reading a lot of information and then writing a report. You can't really prepare for the day, they are more interested in how you interact with everyone else there and how you work in the group projects. Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by EloiseRimmer
Hi, there were two group exercises where you had a lot of information to get through and then you had to prepare a presentation to a partner and one to a potential client. The writing task was reading a lot of information and then writing a report. You can't really prepare for the day, they are more interested in how you interact with everyone else there and how you work in the group projects. Hope this helps

Great thank you. Do you remember how many words was the report and how much time you had?
I recommend looking at the graduate thread in wikijobs. I actually posted a run-down of the day. I didn't have a presentation to a partner (as someone said above), I had about 2-3 group discussions and 1 group meeting / presentation (it was an informal presentation) to student recruitment. Then I had a "coaching interview" which is a relatively informal, reflective chat about how you think you performed in the AC. No technical questions.

The individual report was 1000 words.

Advice: try to read / get through information provided VERY quickly because there will be a lot of emails and stuff.

Feel free to message me if you got further questions as I did a summer internship at PwC and the application process is literally the exact same and I'm quite familiar with PwC internally as well.
Original post by steph0468
I recommend looking at the graduate thread in wikijobs. I actually posted a run-down of the day. I didn't have a presentation to a partner (as someone said above), I had about 2-3 group discussions and 1 group meeting / presentation (it was an informal presentation) to student recruitment. Then I had a "coaching interview" which is a relatively informal, reflective chat about how you think you performed in the AC. No technical questions.

The individual report was 1000 words.

Advice: try to read / get through information provided VERY quickly because there will be a lot of emails and stuff.

Feel free to message me if you got further questions as I did a summer internship at PwC and the application process is literally the exact same and I'm quite familiar with PwC internally as well.

Hi, what was the individual report about and how much time do you have?
Original post by summyxvii
Hi, what was the individual report about and how much time do you have?

I don’t remember the exact task title, but it was fairly broad along the lines of deciding what outcome is the best to approach a problem / analysing a scenario.

For the individual task I believe earlier in the day we were given 30 minutes to read, but we were asked to write the actual report later. Don’t worry too much, you can google “assessment centre case studies” and many websites give good examples.

The actual question won’t be hard to answer, but you will be given a lot of information, so work quick and make sure you draw in / quote information given in your report e.g figures / stats.

Also, stick to the task. The report is 1,000 words (when I did my AC) and one of my negative feedback points was that I wrote double that in the time given (I’m a fast typer lmao). Stick to the brief, work quick.
Reply 6
I don’t remember the exact task title, but it was fairly broad along the lines of deciding what outcome is the best to approach a problem / analysing a scenario.

For the individual task I believe earlier in the day we were given 30 minutes to read, but we were asked to write the actual report later. Don’t worry too much, you can google “assessment centre case studies” and many websites give good examples.

The actual question won’t be hard to answer, but you will be given a lot of information, so work quick and make sure you draw in / quote information given in your report e.g figures / stats.

Also, stick to the task. The report is 1,000 words (when I did my AC) and one of my negative feedback points was that I wrote double that in the time given (I’m a fast typer lmao). Stick to the brief, work quick.

HI, did your AC have a laptop and calendar as well? if so, Does anyone know what type of work/situations they throw at you?
Original post by plplpl

HI, did your AC have a laptop and calendar as well? if so, Does anyone know what type of work/situations they throw at you?

You will get a laptop and a personal timetable at the start of the day.

The individual tasks and group tasks are just like any case study task (e.g. what should X do to reconcile Y business decision or should you invest in this infrastructure project), just google AC case study examples.
Reply 8
You will get a laptop and a personal timetable at the start of the day.

The individual tasks and group tasks are just like any case study task (e.g. what should X do to reconcile Y business decision or should you invest in this infrastructure project), just google AC case study examples.

aah i was just wondering what type of tasks can I expect with a laptop and stuff, is it quite difficult? Is it all just a report writing task? it's my first time with such an AC
Original post by plplpl
aah i was just wondering what type of tasks can I expect with a laptop and stuff, is it quite difficult? Is it all just a report writing task? it's my first time with such an AC

The laptop will have a lot of information, sources, fake emails etc and you will be given time to read them. Then you will have group tasks where you will discuss / need to come up with an answer for the task e.g. "is it sensible to invest in this infrastructure project?". The individual task will be of the same nature, except you will write a report for it instead.

The questions will not be that difficult, no trick questions and you won't be expected to come up with an extremely technical answer, just a good in-depth evaluation of the question. Google "AC case study examples" and you will get loads of examples.
Reply 10
The laptop will have a lot of information, sources, fake emails etc and you will be given time to read them. Then you will have group tasks where you will discuss / need to come up with an answer for the task e.g. "is it sensible to invest in this infrastructure project?". The individual task will be of the same nature, except you will write a report for it instead.

The questions will not be that difficult, no trick questions and you won't be expected to come up with an extremely technical answer, just a good in-depth evaluation of the question. Google "AC case study examples" and you will get loads of examples.

thanks so much, feel better, knowing what i can expect now
hi, can you send me your email so that I can ask you a couple of questions as I have my Career Focus day next week?Thank You so much.
Reply 12
Hi , I’m due to go to the assessment centre in a few days but virtually. I was wondering if you have any tips? What to do? What not to do? What the day encompasses and the possible pass and fail rate? Thank you
Hi, I am due my assessment in a few days time too but yes virtually. Very nervous, can anyone advise some tips in advance to prepare? Appreciate it.
Is anyone here attending the AC tomorrow?
Reply 15
Has anyone here does the virtual career focus day recently? and if you don't mind, could you share your structure of the day and what kind of tasks you had to complete? Much appreciated thanks ! :smile:
Original post by Ara1234
Has anyone here does the virtual career focus day recently? and if you don't mind, could you share your structure of the day and what kind of tasks you had to complete? Much appreciated thanks ! :smile:

Google meets, their own Email system in which you receive tasks, a short interview and then a group project. You get a briefing the day before which honestly explains everything.
Original post by Zp116
Hi , I’m due to go to the assessment centre in a few days but virtually. I was wondering if you have any tips? What to do? What not to do? What the day encompasses and the possible pass and fail rate? Thank you

Anyone has their assessment day next week?
Original post by LunarJelly11
Google meets, their own Email system in which you receive tasks, a short interview and then a group project. You get a briefing the day before which honestly explains everything.

Could you explain in detail please? Like from the very start to the end. I would appreciate it a lot
Original post by Techstoodent
Could you explain in detail, please? Like from the very start to the end. I would appreciate it a lot

Explaining in detail would defeat the point but that is pretty much it besides the content of the tasks and timings which I can't remember anyway, the phone call will put your mind at ease.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending