The Student Room Group

Should I be behind my cohort this much already?

So far on my placement I've introduced one lesson, taken one cover lesson and read to the class a couple of times and I'm going to start doing full lessons the second week after half term. But at Uni quite a few people already seem to have taught a few full lessons and seem to have more to say about their experiences than I do. I'm worrying that I'm falling behind a little bit here.
I wouldn't worry. I was in a similar position as you, I only started taking full lessons after the first half-term, and it didn't negatively impact me in the long run.

However, if you know you feel ready to do more sooner, then you should definitely speak to your mentor. It may just be that they're trying not to rush you. Maybe suggest that you could introduce more lessons and then maybe take over a bit in the first week after half-term rather than the second?
Original post by songforclay90
So far on my placement I've introduced one lesson, taken one cover lesson and read to the class a couple of times and I'm going to start doing full lessons the second week after half term. But at Uni quite a few people already seem to have taught a few full lessons and seem to have more to say about their experiences than I do. I'm worrying that I'm falling behind a little bit here.

Honestly, I wouldn't rush at the start. Some schools very much throw trainees in at the deep end, and this often isn't the best thing for the trainee long term.
Original post by songforclay90

Not at all... it is different for everyone and different at every school.

Some of my cohort started teaching too early (like before when the guidance told their mentors) didn't do anything for them compared to others. From my experience I did only one lesson taught before half-term, which was the have your first dip, make your mistakes now lesson. Which was useful but could it have happened later? Yes.

Like people have said above, try to be delivering something at the end of your first week back, starters, an activity for part of the lesson, form time etc. Get the experience of being at the front for the first time done, then you can focus on planning lessons and learning to teach!
Reply 4
I've only done 4 hours of teaching so far. That's a lot less than my cohort. However none of them are in a school as challenging as mine is, and none of them have as many students not actually in school due to you know what...

I think the best thing to do is to clear all the paperwork in half term and focus 100% on teaching practice after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending