The Student Room Group

How many times have YOU applied?

We all know many people take more than one attempt to get into med school. This will be my 5th attempt since 2009 - how many has everyone else racked up and why is this application different?
This scares me... why didn’t you get in?
Reply 2
Original post by Tracheostenosis
This scares me... why didn’t you get in?

The first three attempts was too close to A Levels; something I didn't work for and got results to prove it. After my Masters I got 4 interviews (3, Warwick and Barts held the same selection but both offered me a chance) and didn't perform well enough.

This one is different as I've had a fair bit more life experience and I'm no longer the immature 18 year old that thought he'd chance his luck!

Is this your first go?
Original post by siarc
The first three attempts was too close to A Levels; something I didn't work for and got results to prove it. After my Masters I got 4 interviews (3, Warwick and Barts held the same selection but both offered me a chance) and didn't perform well enough.

This one is different as I've had a fair bit more life experience and I'm no longer the immature 18 year old that thought he'd chance his luck!

Is this your first go?

Ahhh, I’m so sorry
You’ll probably get in this time, that’s pure dedication!

Yeah it’s my first go and I’m absolutely scared😢
Reply 4
Original post by Tracheostenosis
Ahhh, I’m so sorry
You’ll probably get in this time, that’s pure dedication!

Yeah it’s my first go and I’m absolutely scared😢

Where have you applied? Have you applied tactically (ie. who you are and your results to the selection criteria that maximises your chances)?

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, you'll enjoy the process when it finally gets going!
Original post by siarc
Where have you applied? Have you applied tactically (ie. who you are and your results to the selection criteria that maximises your chances)?

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, you'll enjoy the process when it finally gets going!

i don’t mind where I end up going, as long as it’s doing Medicine aha😂

yeah, hopefully God is with me on the day! I’ll just pray :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by siarc
We all know many people take more than one attempt to get into med school. This will be my 5th attempt since 2009 - how many has everyone else racked up and why is this application different?

I first went to apply in 2004 (I think) but never got as far as applying as I lost a family member around my exam time and messed it all up. I put the idea aside for a long time and intended to apply again in my first year of being a nurse (2015) however after taking the U(K)CAT I gave my head a shake and realised I wouldnt be able to afford it or manage the childcare as a single parent with no family support.
This year I have been working as a band 6 for the last couple years and doing bank nurse work on the side and have got a decent savings buffer, my daughter is older and I have a partner and a lot more support.

This is probably not the helpful "how to improve your application" answer that this post was looking for :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Nickita
I first went to apply in 2004 (I think) but never got as far as applying as I lost a family member around my exam time and messed it all up. I put the idea aside for a long time and intended to apply again in my first year of being a nurse (2015) however after taking the U(K)CAT I gave my head a shake and realised I wouldnt be able to afford it or manage the childcare as a single parent with no family support.
This year I have been working as a band 6 for the last couple years and doing bank nurse work on the side and have got a decent savings buffer, my daughter is older and I have a partner and a lot more support.

This is probably not the helpful "how to improve your application" answer that this post was looking for :biggrin:

Thanks for you reply. Do you think you'll continue nursing whilst studying, even just locum/bank?

Where have you applied this year? Oh this post wasn't about improving my application, I've applied already! I'm just interested in the community and everyones journey.
Reply 8
Original post by siarc
Thanks for you reply. Do you think you'll continue nursing whilst studying, even just locum/bank?

Where have you applied this year? Oh this post wasn't about improving my application, I've applied already! I'm just interested in the community and everyones journey.

If I get into Newcastle (A100) then I definitely will, I am on the bank now and have worked out I would need to work at least a shift a month to afford the whole course without struggling. If I get into Warwick (A101) it is less clear as I am paeds trained so not sure what the opportunities would be in the area, the pressure would be less though as the costs would be less. They are really my only choices.

I did not mean to imply that you were trying to benefit from the post, I realise that that probably came across wrongly!
Reply 9
Original post by Nickita
If I get into Warwick (A101) it is less clear as I am paeds trained so not sure what the opportunities would be in the area

The children's ED at UHCW is great, they often have many bank HCA shifts. So could be many nurse shifts too plus there's a few wards I'm sure you could get by.

To answer the original question I got into GEM on my 3rd attempt. I was a 2.2 applicant, so my first 2 applications I had the odds stacked against me, after being unsuccessful the 2nd time I did a Masters degree to open up more options and was successful on my 3rd attempt (my first for Warwick and Swansea).
Reply 10
Original post by Marathi
successful on my 3rd attempt (my first for Warwick and Swansea).

Is that how you know the bank HCA shifts at UHCW?
Original post by siarc
Is that how you know the bank HCA shifts at UHCW?

Yes I'm a bank HCA there too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending