The Student Room Group

What does this mean?

A uni has given me a deadline of the 26th of October to send something. Does that mean once its the 26th its too late? or at any point on the 26th, I can send it.

To give exact wording, "by the 26th"
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
A uni has given me a deadline of the 26th of October to send something. Does that mean once its the 26th its too late? or at any point on the 26th, I can send it.

To give exact wording, "by the 26th"

It must be sent by the 26th if it says sent as opposed to received. Send it registered post or save the email sent.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It must be sent by the 26th if it says sent as opposed to received. Send it registered post or save the email sent.

thanks a lot, its an oxbridge deadline so you just saved me an immense amount of stress!
thanks a lot, its an oxbridge deadline so you just saved me an immense amount of stress!

It depends on the exact wording.
Considering how long you have had, then asking at 9pm on a Friday night on the 23rd would seem unfortunate. You should have contacted them beforehand. That is my interpretation.
Reply 4
It depends on the exact wording.
Considering how long you have had, then asking at 9pm on a Friday night on the 23rd would seem unfortunate. You should have contacted them beforehand. That is my interpretation.

I contacted my doctor 2 weeks ago, the same day the form was posted on the Cambridge site. However, the secretary miss-read the form where I said "the below link is a link to an online form that needs filling out", her response was "I didn't know you wanted US to do that".

It is now 2 weeks later and I'm worried they will miss the deadline, which isn't really through any fault of my own.
I contacted my doctor 2 weeks ago, the same day the form was posted on the Cambridge site. However, the secretary miss-read the form where I said "the below link is a link to an online form that needs filling out", her response was "I didn't know you wanted US to do that".

It is now 2 weeks later and I'm worried they will miss the deadline, which isn't really through any fault of my own.

So back to the beginning if the exact wording is sent by the 26th and its an email, then Monday is fine if its sent before midnight on the 26th. If its electronic then it should be near instantaneous.

To cover your back I assume they have agreed to deal with it first thing Monday?
To cover your back further inform the college there was a misunderstanding and they have agreed to send it on the 26th. Preferably speak to a named person on the phone or get a confirmation email. That makes them aware you know the issue and have taken steps to remedy it. It is potnetial cover just in case the GP doesnt deliver. If you cant deal with it yourself ask your school or a parent. Be polite.
Reply 6
So back to the beginning if the exact wording is sent by the 26th and its an email, then Monday is fine if its sent before midnight on the 26th. If its electronic then it should be near instantaneous.

To cover your back I assume they have agreed to deal with it first thing Monday?
To cover your back further inform the college there was a misunderstanding and they have agreed to send it on the 26th. Preferably speak to a named person on the phone or get a confirmation email. That makes them aware you know the issue and have taken steps to remedy it. It is potnetial cover just in case the GP doesnt deliver. If you cant deal with it yourself ask your school or a parent. Be polite.

They haven't agreed to deal with it Monday, they essentially said they will see. But I'm going to call Monday and try to explain its important to me, and its a very short form.
They haven't agreed to deal with it Monday, they essentially said they will see. But I'm going to call Monday and try to explain its important to me, and its a very short form.

What is it they want?
Get your parent to ring and explain the deadline is Monday.
Think you have been a bit naive and unclear in your communication.
Parent can point out you asked them 2 weeks ago.
be prepared to pay for them to complete the form for you.
Reply 8
What is it they want?
Get your parent to ring and explain the deadline is Monday.
Think you have been a bit naive and unclear in your communication.
Parent can point out you asked them 2 weeks ago.
be prepared to pay for them to complete the form for you.

I said it was a university form that needs filling out, and if it isn't completed my university application will be severely disadvantaged. The secretary misread what I wrote on my cover letter "below is a link to an online form that needs completing" and only gave my GP the physical form.

Do you think if I ring on Monday and really try to explain the importance they will do it on the day?
I said it was a university form that needs filling out, and if it isn't completed my university application will be severely disadvantaged. The secretary misread what I wrote on my cover letter "below is a link to an online form that needs completing" and only gave my GP the physical form.

Do you think if I ring on Monday and really try to explain the importance they will do it on the day?

I dont think that was the right way to phrase it but its done now.
You are going to have to ring them on Monday, but I would try the college first and see if that date is absolute.
As I said I would have had a teacher or parent explain as you are easy to ignore. If you dont have either, then you need to be polite and check if it will be done that day. Maybe speak to the practice manager if you dont feel the receptionist is taking you seriously.
I dont think that was the right way to phrase it but its done now.
You are going to have to ring them on Monday, but I would try the college first and see if that date is absolute.
As I said I would have had a teacher or parent explain as you are easy to ignore. If you dont have either, then you need to be polite and check if it will be done that day. Maybe speak to the practice manager if you dont feel the receptionist is taking you seriously.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending