The Student Room Group

Meeting boyfriends parents

I am a 20 year old girl and I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend who is also 20 for a year. Tomorrow I am going to meet his parents for the first time which I am happy to do. But today my boyfriend said to me that I can't mention to them that we met on tinder or mention his tattoos (he has one of a woman's face on his bicep and song lyrics on his ribs). I asked why I can't and he would only say that he doesn't want them to find out. Why does he not want them to know? Everyone uses tinder and I like his tattoos.
I would just roll with it - you can ask him personally further about why he hadn’t told his parents but clearly it’ll cause a scene if it comes up, so to insist on mentioning it is just unnecessary. Not wanting your parents to know you use tinder or have tattoos seems to mr perfectly understandable, even if you have a good relationship - it can just be TMI. Plus, when you meet his parents you might find out why he doesn’t want to tell them just based on what they’re like!

If this is a real deal breaker for you for whatever reason, though, tell him that and see what he says. Personally I would say it’s not that important, but it might be to you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am a 20 year old girl and I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend who is also 20 for a year. Tomorrow I am going to meet his parents for the first time which I am happy to do. But today my boyfriend said to me that I can't mention to them that we met on tinder or mention his tattoos (he has one of a woman's face on his bicep and song lyrics on his ribs). I asked why I can't and he would only say that he doesn't want them to find out. Why does he not want them to know? Everyone uses tinder and I like his tattoos.

Just because lots of people use tinder, it doesn't mean that he wants his parents to know he's one of them! I certainly wouldn't.

As for tattoos, maybe his family are funny about that and won't approve.
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
I would just roll with it - you can ask him personally further about why he hadn’t told his parents but clearly it’ll cause a scene if it comes up, so to insist on mentioning it is just unnecessary. Plus, when you meet his parents you might find out why he doesn’t want to tell them just based on what they’re like!

If this is a real deal breaker for you for whatever reason, though, tell him that and see what he says. Personally I would say it’s not that important, but it might be to you?

I think I will just roll with it and keep my mouth shut. He has said that his parents are nice so I am surprised that this would be an issue. Now I am worried about what they're like. In my family we don't keep things secret like this. Its definitely not a deal breaker and I love him a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by 15Characters...
Just because lots of people use tinder, it doesn't mean that he wants his parents to know he's one of them! I certainly wouldn't.

As for tattoos, maybe his family are funny about that and won't approve.

Maybe my family are more open than his. Yeah they probably don't like tattoos.

Won't his parents see his tattoos at some point? He can't hide them forever surely? What if he gets more? He should just tell them and get it over with.
Reply 6
Original post by ben_jamin
Won't his parents see his tattoos at some point? He can't hide them forever surely? What if he gets more? He should just tell them and get it over with.

I don't know either. He wants to get more including a full sleeve so I think he will accidently reveal his tattoos at some point anyway.
I think I will just roll with it and keep my mouth shut. He has said that his parents are nice so I am surprised that this would be an issue. Now I am worried about what they're like. In my family we don't keep things secret like this. Its definitely not a deal breaker and I love him a lot.

They could be nice, but fairly conservative? Talk to your partner about your worries if you can - hopefully he might open up a bit more and reassure you (eg ‘they’re very nice but I know they’re sniffy about people with tattoos and I see them infrequently so cba to have the argument’). I completely get being more open with your own parents but everyone does things differently :dontknow: None of this seems like a massive red flag.

Good luck meeting his parents! :smile:
Reply 8
I agree with becausethenight nothing really to be concerned about.They might be a bit more old-fashioned than your parents that is all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending