The Student Room Group

Parents opinions on grades

Hey,

First things first, I'm in year 13 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths (and finished my EPQ) and am hoping to study Vet Med at uni!

So in some of the mocks we've been doing in school over the last half term, I've had two Bs in Chemistry and an A and B in Maths (haven't done anything Biology yet).

Personally, I'm really happy with how I'm doing a currently, but my parents kinda react like I've failed every time I get anything other than an A, so I always feel like I'm not doing enough work and not putting enough effort in...
As I keep getting told my grades "aren't very good" 😔

I know it's just because they know I'm capable of getting the higher grades....
But it makes me feel like I'm failing in their eyes and I hate feeling like I'm basically disappointing them!

Does anyone else's parents do this??
And/Or has anyone got any advice how I can try get them to understand that I'm not "not doing very well"
Reply 1
Nope, mine get angry with me if I don't get an A*
Original post by Materol
Nope, mine get angry with me if I don't get an A*

Oh gosh, can imagine how that must be! X
tell them that vet med isnt that competitive and you'll prob get in.
Reply 4
What do you expect to get in your actual exams.
Just ignore them and keep on pushing to do the best you can
Original post by Scotney
What do you expect to get in your actual exams.

I'm predicted all As and that's what I'm hoping for.... An A* would be aspirational in one - but yeah AAA and A* in EPQ
Original post by Dexter345
Just ignore them and keep on pushing to do the best you can

That's what I try, but it's every time I get an assessment/mock back....
I even told my teachers to say during my parents evening Bs are really good at this stage but my parents still haven't listened.

But I'm trying my best at this stage, and I can only get better once Ive started revising properly I guess 😂 x
Reply 8
Original post by b3th4ny_xxx
I'm predicted all As and that's what I'm hoping for.... An A* would be aspirational in one - but yeah AAA and A* in EPQ

I think that they just do not understand how the system works.You still have nearly a school year until the exams and they think these mocks are reflecting what you will get in the actual exams when of course you should improve as you cover more content and get more familiar with answering questions/writing essays.Try explaining this again as lots of parents do not get this.
Are your parents Asian or are they just old fashioned? :frown:
Original post by Scotney
I think that they just do not understand how the system works.You still have nearly a school year until the exams and they think these mocks are reflecting what you will get in the actual exams when of course you should improve as you cover more content and get more familiar with answering questions/writing essays.Try explaining this again as lots of parents do not get this.

That's so true!
After my first maths mock when I got a B I tried explaining exactly what our teachers said to us; that this is the first mock we've sat, we've had like 4/5 months out of school so our grades are bound to be lower!

But I absolutely agree, it's like they don't understand I've plenty of time to improve within!
Shall try that again, thank you! Xx
Original post by Lovelylaci
Are your parents Asian or are they just old fashioned? :frown:

I think they're just so used to me constantly getting really high grades (7-9) in GCSE but now I'm getting Bs and Cs at A-Level currently, in their opinion I'm just not doing very well!

It's like they don't get how big a jump it is from gcse to a level, I mean... I'm sure if they tried to sit a paper they'd end up with a U 🤷🏼*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest