The Student Room Group

DWP EO Work Coach Application - FAIL!

I've put 3 months of my life into preparing for and applying for one of the DWP Work Coach roles.

I took courses in my own time to gain City&Guilds qualifications in Business Admin, Customer Service and Employability. These were run by the DWP themselves as they were apparently required by the DWP for this specific role.

The employability course was entirely centred on the actual DWP EO Work Coach role and covered everything from mock Situational Judgement Tests, speaking to existing Work Coaches and nailing the Behaviours and Strengths required (Communicating & Influencing, Making Effective Decisions & Managing A Quality Service).

You would think after all this preparation at least an interview would be a given. But no, after a month of 'Thank you for your application. It will be reviewed' I was told yesterday thanks but no. No interview, no feedback, no nothing! 😮

So they took a month, with me checking several times a day, to finally let me know this!

Now here's the thing. The DWP make a big deal about inclusivity and diversity, and that's great, but, after speaking to my course tutor, out of the 20 students to take the above courses, the only ones who got an interview were:

- An Indian Lady
- A Black Man
- A Disabled Woman

Now, I'm all for equality but seriously?! How is that fair? That's just coincidence is it?

The answer is no, it's no coincidence because part of the application process asks some very personal questions including:

- Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Religious Beliefs
- Did you have free school meals?
- What did your father do when you were 14?
- Do you consider yourself to be from a low social economic class?

So it would appear your CV, skills, qualifications, finely tuned behaviour statements, etc. all mean absolutely nothing if you don't tick at least one of the above boxes so the DWP can fill their diverse workforce quota. And it stinks! 😠
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WTF?!
I've put 3 months of my life into preparing for and applying for one of the DWP Work Coach roles.

I took courses in my own time to gain City&Guilds qualifications in Business Admin, Customer Service and Employability. These were run by the DWP themselves as they were apparently required by the DWP for this specific role.

The employability course was entirely centred on the actual DWP EO Work Coach role and covered everything from mock Situational Judgement Tests, speaking to existing Work Coaches and nailing the Behaviours and Strengths required (Communicating & Influencing, Making Effective Decisions & Managing A Quality Service).

You would think after all this preparation at least an interview would be a given. But no, after a month of 'Thank you for your application. It will be reviewed' I was told yesterday thanks but no. No interview, no feedback, no nothing! 😮

So they took a month, with me checking several times a day, to finally let me know this!

Now here's the thing. The DWP make a big deal about inclusivity and diversity, and that's great, but, after speaking to my course tutor, out of the 20 students to take the above courses, the only ones who got an interview were:

- An Indian Lady
- A Black Man
- A Disabled Woman

Now, I'm all for equality but seriously?! How is that fair? That's just coincidence is it?

The answer is no, it's no coincidence because part of the application process asks some very personal questions including:

- Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Religious Beliefs
- Did you have free school meals?
- What did your father do when you were 14?
- Do you consider yourself to be from a low social economic class?

So it would appear your CV, skills, qualifications, finely tuned behaviour statements, etc. all mean absolutely nothing if you don't tick at least one of the above boxes so the DWP can fill their diverse workforce quota. And it stinks! 😠

Couple of points......

You would have either failed on your reasoning tests or the behaviour statements, did you get your statements checked for STAR before submitting your application?

Secondly, the CS is for most a tough to get into but once your in your in.

Thirdly, there is a need for diversity within the CS because it just ain't diverse enough.

It seems to me there was an expectation you would get an interview and its beyond my why you even would with that attitude.

Sounds like the CS has done you a favour.
Reply 2
Original post by Teddybear17
Couple of points......

You would have either failed on your reasoning tests or the behaviour statements, did you get your statements checked for STAR before submitting your application?

Secondly, the CS is for most a tough to get into but once your in your in.

Thirdly, there is a need for diversity within the CS because it just ain't diverse enough.

It seems to me there was an expectation you would get an interview and its beyond my why you even would with that attitude.

Sounds like the CS has done you a favour.

Sorry to break this to you but the SJT was passed. 500 word Communicating & Influencing statement was checked prior to submission by actual DWP Work Coach and Tutor and hit all 7 behaviours and 5 strengths in the STAR format so that argument just doesn't wash.

And yes, since I passed the SJT and Behaviour statement, I did expect an interview. Why would I not? What else did they have to make a decision on if not those?

Hmmmm, I wonder... 🙄
Original post by WTF?!
Sorry to break this to you but the SJT was passed. 500 word Communicating & Influencing statement was checked prior to submission by actual DWP Work Coach and Tutor and hit all 7 behaviours and 5 strengths in the STAR format so that argument just doesn't wash.

And yes, since I passed the SJT and Behaviour statement, I did expect an interview. Why would I not? What else did they have to make a decision on if not those?

Hmmmm, I wonder... 🙄

Maybe they sensed the privilege on your paper, and felt the need at that point to decline you immediately.

All that hard work for nothing, eh.
On a serious note, to come on here and think it's fine to say you feel outed because you didn't fit a criterion and others did based on there ethic background or disability is really disappointing.
Reply 5
Maybe they sensed the privilege on your paper, and felt the need at that point to decline you immediately.

All that hard work for nothing, eh.

Yes, I'm sure that was it. Or that I'm white, straight and don't identify as non-binary goldfish called Clive...

If it means I won't have to work with pompous self-centred vacuous people like you though at least that's something.

Every cloud, eh!
Reply 6
On a serious note, to come on here and think it's fine to say you feel outed because you didn't fit a criterion and others did based on there ethic background or disability is really disappointing.

It's really disappointing to see job roles allocated that way but, hey, that's the world we live in now apparently.
Original post by WTF?!
Yes, I'm sure that was it. Or that I'm white, straight and don't identify as non-binary goldfish called Clive...

If it means I won't have to work with pompous self-centred vacuous people like you though at least that's something.

Every cloud, eh!

No not quite, you simply wouldnt be working along side me right now as I'm just waiting to be posted into my SEO role with a different Dept.

Having did the EO WC role for a few years it taught me a lot of things, today was one of them and thats being grateful for not having to work with you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
No you quite, you simply wouldnt be working along side me right now as I'm just waiting to be posted into my SEO role with a different Dept.

Having did the EO WC role for a few years it taught me a lot of things, today was one of them and thats being grateful for not having to work with you.

I see they didn't teach you much in the way of spelling or grammar... 🙄
Original post by WTF?!
I see they didn't teach you much in the way of spelling or grammar... 🙄

Your right! I've never claimed to be academic either......

But I've been a Work Coach, you ain't and I've got a SEO role and you dont have this either

So who's winning, eh lol
Few things as well:
-Firstly some people put more than three months into preparing for their dream job and still don't get it so don't act like you're the first person for this to happen to
-The diversity stuff is for information purposes only I believe so wouldn't affect outcome, although they do have a disability confident scheme but this still provides you meet the minimum criteria. It isn't strictly a zero-sum game, if you are good enough for the role you would have got an interview regardless of your ethnicity, gender etc..
-The application process/ questions aren't made so that you can pay someone to give you the answers on how to pass the assessment, at the end of the day you need to be the right fit with the correct behaviours. They want you to be the right fit for the role/ CS, only those people get an interview.
-A month isn't too long a wait, some roles take even longer to find out the outcome
-The CS is extremely competitive you should have known that it is unlikely to get an interview anyway and not put all of your hope into this one role, within the last month you should have continued to be applying for other jobs, dont just pin all on getting one job you apply for as it usually takes many goes before you get an interview/ job offer.
-Very disingenuous to expect an interview and that you are better than everyone else
-Finally, you should not be getting help from others on your application, they want to find out about YOUR answers to the questions, not what your tutor thinks
Reply 11
Your right! I've never claimed to be academic either......

But I've been a Work Coach, you ain't and I've got a SEO role and you dont have this either

So who's winning, eh lol

Looking at the state of that I would have thought some sort of remedial school would help you out!

Wonder which criteria you met to get the job then... 🤔
Original post by WTF?!
Looking at the state of that I would have thought some sort of remedial school would help you out!

Wonder which criteria you met to get the job then... 🤔

I posess the criteria that you lack.

Slate me all you like, bottom line, you have no job within the CS and I do. Not only did I leave, but they want me back, Imagine that!

That's me for now, the newly appointed Civil servant, you wish you were......

I wish you all the best, WTF?! (What a name LOL)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by tommy988
Few things as well:
-Firstly some people put more than three months into preparing for their dream job and still don't get it so don't act like you're the first person for this to happen to
-The diversity stuff is for information purposes only I believe so wouldn't affect outcome, although they do have a disability confident scheme but this still provides you meet the minimum criteria. It isn't strictly a zero-sum game, if you are good enough for the role you would have got an interview regardless of your ethnicity, gender etc..
-The application process/ questions aren't made so that you can pay someone to give you the answers on how to pass the assessment, at the end of the day you need to be the right fit with the correct behaviours. They want you to be the right fit for the role/ CS, only those people get an interview.
-A month isn't too long a wait, some roles take even longer to find out the outcome
-The CS is extremely competitive you should have known that it is unlikely to get an interview anyway and not put all of your hope into this one role, within the last month you should have continued to be applying for other jobs, dont just pin all on getting one job you apply for as it usually takes many goes before you get an interview/ job offer.
-Very disingenuous to expect an interview and that you are better than everyone else
-Finally, you should not be getting help from others on your application, they want to find out about YOUR answers to the questions, not what your tutor thinks

- Any other jobs I may or may not have also applied for is irrelevant here as I'm simply discussing this particular one.
- I don't think I'm better than anybody else and I don't think I'm the first person it has happened to. There were 16 more white people on the same course, with the same result for example. I think most people would find that a bit fishy...
- Regarding the SJT, nobody was answering that but me and I passed. Behaviour statement needed to hit 4 of the 7 behaviours to go to interview. I hit all 7 so, again, something not right there.
Reply 14

Slate me all you like, bottom line, you have no job within the CS and I do. Not only did I leave, but they want me back, Imagine that!

I like how you went out of your way to spellcheck that one before posting it. 🤣 Well done. Have a cookie. 🍪

Shame about your personality but if your skin colour/sexual orientation/upbringing is right you've got a job for life there, Teddybear (! 🤣).
Reply 15
Thanks to everyone who has private messaged me about their similar experiences with the DWP recruitment process. Looks like your skin colour, sexual orientation and social economic class is more important to the DWP than any actual ability or qualifications after all.

Disgusting.
Guys i need help with 500 words statement.. i have been banging my head against a wall trying to get it right but one way or the other i am unable to get it right.. people that have succceded.. is anyone willing to share their 500 words statement as an example? if not, i welcome any help. thank you
Original post by WTF?!
- Any other jobs I may or may not have also applied for is irrelevant here as I'm simply discussing this particular one.
- I don't think I'm better than anybody else and I don't think I'm the first person it has happened to. There were 16 more white people on the same course, with the same result for example. I think most people would find that a bit fishy...
- Regarding the SJT, nobody was answering that but me and I passed. Behaviour statement needed to hit 4 of the 7 behaviours to go to interview. I hit all 7 so, again, something not right there.

It's illegal for an employer to hire or not hire someone based on their ethnicity. Often, employers do ask about your ethnicity during the application process. It's optional; you don't have to give them these details. Recruiters aren't told the ethnicity of applicants they assess.
Reply 18
Original post by James21234
Guys i need help with 500 words statement.. i have been banging my head against a wall trying to get it right but one way or the other i am unable to get it right.. people that have succceded.. is anyone willing to share their 500 words statement as an example? if not, i welcome any help. thank you

Out of all the threads on this forum you had to refresh this abomination.

Please discard this thread and post into one of the many posts on the front page - thanks

Adding fuel to the fire there Ted 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending