The Student Room Group

Can't stand fellow grads on my grad scheme

I started a grad scheme for a large investment bank this summer. I come from an inner city ghetto within the midlands.

I would class myself as a very open minded person who tends to get along with most people BUT i have never met so many middle class, pretentious people in my entire life. I've had a few conversations with the girls and they all seem to get on like a house on fire, however me and them just don't click.

Their banter is dry, most of them are Tories and they love talking about "how they work weekends" as if it's a badge of honour. Also most of them did the summer internship and already know each other.

The girls have already formed a clique which I'm not part of where they meet up after work or for lunch. I'm starting to feel quite lonely and out of place. Pls help.
It sounds to me a bit like the “American work ethic”, friends worked at Fermilab near Chicago, and their boss was shocked by them (Brit+French couple) wishing NOT to work all-day Saturday, but to go home and have a weekend. Plus, when they asked to take their ‘generous’ 2-weeks annual vacation, it was strongly hinted that there was too much work in the tevatron for things like ‘holidays’ to be honoured. Banks pretending to be American physics labs? or is it endemic in the investment banking industry?

You might have to pretend that you’re happy with that, for a yr or two, to get-on in the industry, until you are recruited by a better bank based on your gushing linked-in profile. Cliques, I personally ignore stuff like that, but that’s just me.

Focus on what you want/need from your grad scheme, and ignore frivolities :-)
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
It sounds to me a bit like the “American work ethic”, friends worked at Fermilab near Chicago, and their boss was shocked by them (Brit+French couple) wishing NOT to work all-day Saturday, but to go home and have a weekend. Plus, when they asked to take their ‘generous’ 2-weeks annual vacation, it was strongly hinted that there was too much work in the tevatron for things like ‘holidays’ to be honoured. Banks pretending to be American physics labs? or is it endemic in the investment banking industry?

You might have to pretend that you’re happy with that, for a yr or two, to get-on in the industry, until you are recruited by a better bank based on your gushing linked-in profile. Cliques, I personally ignore stuff like that, but that’s just me.

Focus on what you want/need from your grad scheme, and ignore frivolities :-)

It's such a pretentious culture. I've tried to ignore the cliques but it's quite hard when they all have lunch together/constantly message. I would like some form of a network at work but its proving to be quite difficult because they all gel well. I feel like an outsider :/
Original post by Anonymous
I started a grad scheme for a large investment bank this summer.

I come from an inner city ghetto within the midlands.

I would class myself as a very open minded person who tends to get along with most people

i have never met so many middle class, pretentious people in my entire life.

Take a look at yourself first, before you **** of others. You punted for IB - were you really expecting 'inner city ghetto' social conventions?

Are you always going to define yourself and judge others by 'inner city ghetto' standards. If so, why bother ever leaving it, if that's the only company you are prepared to be comfortable with?

Check how you 'class yourself' because your very next sentence about 'middle class, pretentious' people reeks of judgement, and narrow mindedness.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Take a look at yourself first, before you **** of others. You punted for IB - were you really expecting 'inner city ghetto' social conventions?

Are you always going to define yourself and judge others by 'inner city ghetto' standards. If so, why bother ever leaving it, if that's the only company you are prepared to be comfortable with?

Check how you 'class yourself' because your very next sentence about 'middle class, pretentious' people reeks of judgement, and narrow mindedness.

LOOOOOL why are you so pressed??? And yess they are middle class, pretentious cookie cutters who have never experienced any form of hardship in life. I think it's an indictment of IB that in 2020 the current grad cohort lacks societal diversity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending