The Student Room Group

Pets at home CV?

Hi guys I was wondering if I could get a little help with how to structure and what to put down on my CV for pets at home. I’m really struggling to get an interview and I really want to work there having a great interest for animals and all. I’ve got a lot of retail experience and experience with animals which I’ve mentioned but it’s not cutting it any help would be great? I’ve copy and pasted my CV. Thanks everyone x

Summary:
I am currently 22 years old, I am hard working and work really well in a team, I have an innate passion for animal welfare and customer service. I’ve always strived for a career that involves supporting animal welfare. It would be a dream to work with a large company where I can support animal welfare by educating customers with either their current pet or a pet they are considering to rehome and also where I can grow and progress within that company.
Availability:
Fully Flexible Monday-Sunday.
Education:
I studied my GCSE’S at St Saviours and St Olaves secondary school and achieved a GCSE in:
Spanish- A
English- B
Religious Studies- B
Science- C
Maths- C
Drama- C
Art- C
I studied Sociology, Business studies and Health and Social care A levels. I enjoyed these subjects because they give me a good insight of society and people.

City and Islington college

Animal Management diploma level 3
Distinction* Distinction* Distinction*

Highlights & Personal Skills:
Experience in handling animals including exotics and usual pets.
Knowledge in mammal and reptile diets, care and necessary accommodation/enrichment.
Good customer service
Retail experience
Knowledge of animal welfare.
Positive and motivated energy.
Organised
Able to speak Spanish

Experience:
I had studied and completed the animal management course for two years where I learnt how to appropriately handle and care for both exotics and common pets, for example the correct diet that the animal should be given, the correct enrichment and housing that should be provided for the animal, I was also taught the anatomy of different species as well as animal welfare and many other things.
I had worked at London zoo, where I learnt how to promote the best customer service through communicating well with customers and colleagues. I learnt how to work fast, efficiently and work on tills as well as making sure customers are happy. I was sympathetic and patient with all customers and always ensured I could assist them to the best of my ability despite how increasingly busy it got throughout the day.
Overall I have learnt to cooperate, be punctual and organised in order to maintain good team work. I have learnt the essential traits such as correctly handling and restraining a variety of animals including exotics and I believe this will be useful in my career.
Reply 1
Original post by Abi1402
Hi guys I was wondering if I could get a little help with how to structure and what to put down on my CV for pets at home. I’m really struggling to get an interview and I really want to work there having a great interest for animals and all. I’ve got a lot of retail experience and experience with animals which I’ve mentioned but it’s not cutting it any help would be great? I’ve copy and pasted my CV. Thanks everyone x

Summary:
I am currently 22 years old, I am hard working and work really well in a team, I have an innate passion for animal welfare and customer service. I’ve always strived for a career that involves supporting animal welfare. It would be a dream to work with a large company where I can support animal welfare by educating customers with either their current pet or a pet they are considering to rehome and also where I can grow and progress within that company.
Availability:
Fully Flexible Monday-Sunday.
Education:
I studied my GCSE’S at St Saviours and St Olaves secondary school and achieved a GCSE in:
Spanish- A
English- B
Religious Studies- B
Science- C
Maths- C
Drama- C
Art- C
I studied Sociology, Business studies and Health and Social care A levels. I enjoyed these subjects because they give me a good insight of society and people.

City and Islington college

Animal Management diploma level 3
Distinction* Distinction* Distinction*

Highlights & Personal Skills:
Experience in handling animals including exotics and usual pets.
Knowledge in mammal and reptile diets, care and necessary accommodation/enrichment.
Good customer service
Retail experience
Knowledge of animal welfare.
Positive and motivated energy.
Organised
Able to speak Spanish

Experience:
I had studied and completed the animal management course for two years where I learnt how to appropriately handle and care for both exotics and common pets, for example the correct diet that the animal should be given, the correct enrichment and housing that should be provided for the animal, I was also taught the anatomy of different species as well as animal welfare and many other things.
I had worked at London zoo, where I learnt how to promote the best customer service through communicating well with customers and colleagues. I learnt how to work fast, efficiently and work on tills as well as making sure customers are happy. I was sympathetic and patient with all customers and always ensured I could assist them to the best of my ability despite how increasingly busy it got throughout the day.
Overall I have learnt to cooperate, be punctual and organised in order to maintain good team work. I have learnt the essential traits such as correctly handling and restraining a variety of animals including exotics and I believe this will be useful in my career.

I am applying for part time jobs as well but at warehouse operative roles like amazon etc.

I uploaded my cv on the cv help forum and it was helpful. Maybe check that out?

Have you had any job offers yet?
That should be a good indication of how strong your cv is.

Right make I have applied to about 10 and have heard nothing back but not surprised given the economy.
Hello

Use paragraphs on your resume. Avoid lying and do not sell yourself short either.
Reply 3
Original post by iodo345
I am applying for part time jobs as well but at warehouse operative roles like amazon etc.

I uploaded my cv on the cv help forum and it was helpful. Maybe check that out?

Have you had any job offers yet?
That should be a good indication of how strong your cv is.

Right make I have applied to about 10 and have heard nothing back but not surprised given the economy.

Thank you I’ll definitely give that a go
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello

Use paragraphs on your resume. Avoid lying and do not sell yourself short either.

Hi thank you
So firstly it is a little confusing that your CV appears to have details missing - e.g. you list your GCSE's and attainment but then only which A levels you took - If the results of these are not 'good' it could be better to just omit them all together as my first question in interview would be what grades did you achieve at A level as they are not listed.

I would also provide examples of the things you claim.
Your very first paragraph states you work hard, well in a team, and have a passion for animal welfare. This really sounds like you are just listing buzzwords without backing them up. It would be far better if you listed an example of working well within a team - e.g. a large project with deadlines you managed so everyone achieved or similar, same with working hard - can you put some stat in like sold X over my target sales % etc?
Reply 6
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
So firstly it is a little confusing that your CV appears to have details missing - e.g. you list your GCSE's and attainment but then only which A levels you took - If the results of these are not 'good' it could be better to just omit them all together as my first question in interview would be what grades did you achieve at A level as they are not listed.

I would also provide examples of the things you claim.
Your very first paragraph states you work hard, well in a team, and have a passion for animal welfare. This really sounds like you are just listing buzzwords without backing them up. It would be far better if you listed an example of working well within a team - e.g. a large project with deadlines you managed so everyone achieved or similar, same with working hard - can you put some stat in like sold X over my target sales % etc?

Completely makes sense thanks so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending