The Student Room Group

What are your favourite genres (for books, writing and topics for articles)?

What are your favourite authors, books, series, journalists, articles, journalism topics, genres (or any other favourite related to writing? What tips do you have for aspiring authors and budding journalists? Literally anything related to writing and reading and stuff!
Also what writing/ author mailing lists do you recommend so I can improve my writing? I’m already with the Bookfoxers one, but are there any others (that are good)?
I don't read many books so this won't be too long 😬
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita his most famous piece and a classic (difficult read though, I had skip a page or two since it was just too much) Pale fire is another great one!
Mikhail Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita, another classic, is my all time favourite and I watched the Russian TV adaptation ever since I was kid, love it so much. Heart of a Dog and Pnin (?) are great too.
If you want something that sounds odd when reading (in a good way) try, And the Ass Saw the Angel, by Nick Cave (his music is amazing too, I prefer his older stuff but he's made so much)
Amos Tutuola, haven't read anything yet by them but got recommended by my teacher.
Hope that's a start!
Original post by DamnFineCoffee20
I don't read many books so this won't be too long 😬
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita his most famous piece and a classic (difficult read though, I had skip a page or two since it was just too much) Pale fire is another great one!
Mikhail Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita, another classic, is my all time favourite and I watched the Russian TV adaptation ever since I was kid, love it so much. Heart of a Dog and Pnin (?) are great too.
If you want something that sounds odd when reading (in a good way) try, And the Ass Saw the Angel, by Nick Cave (his music is amazing too, I prefer his older stuff but he's made so much)
Amos Tutuola, haven't read anything yet by them but got recommended by my teacher.
Hope that's a start!

Thank you so much! That’s great, I’ll check out these books as soon as I can. Maybe if libraries are still open?
Original post by txnishkx_343
Thank you so much! That’s great, I’ll check out these books as soon as I can. Maybe if libraries are still open?

Yeah maybe, though not all might be there. Could you afford to buy them or maybe get ebooks? Also audio books can be good (though I've not really tried them before)
MANGA! HORROR MANGA! Right now my fave HAS to be Junji Ito! I know that this thread is for people who like classics but I gotta give some credit to Manga! I recommend Uzumaki (it means spiral) you'll understand WHY it's called that once you've read the book.:teehee:

Okay so in terms of classics, I'd probably say Metamorphosis by Kafka
I tend to enjoy textbooks more than classics though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Imhere2help
MANGA! HORROR MANGA! Right now my fave HAS to be Junji Ito! I know that this thread is for people who like classics but I gotta give some credit to Manga! I recommend Uzumaki (it means spiral) you'll understand WHY it's called that once you've read the book.:teehee:

I don't think it has to be about classics, that would be rather constraining! Metamorphosis is great and Uzumaki as well (I have it at home! Freaked me out when I was in school) Wonder if there are more horror novels from Japan that are not mangaka?
I don't think it has to be about classics, that would be rather constraining! Metamorphosis is great and Uzumaki as well (I have it at home! Freaked me out when I was in school) Wonder if there are more horror novels from Japan that are not mangaka?

I haven't seen any yet! I'm slowly transitioning into DC comics. The Arkham Asylum one is absolutely grim (It's perfect for Halloween 🎃 ).
Romance off course 💞

I wish I could write a romance... NAH I shall stick to reading!
Yeah maybe, though not all might be there. Could you afford to buy them or maybe get ebooks? Also audio books can be good (though I've not really tried them before)

Yeah probably. I’ll check them out as soon as possible!
Original post by deadroseex
Romance off course 💞

I wish I could write a romance... NAH I shall stick to reading!

Yes totally!!!
Original post by Imhere2help

I’ll check these out in my free time!
I like true life stuff. In particular I love the books by cathy glass. And the books by mike pannett.
Original post by Emma:-)
I like true life stuff. In particular I love the books by cathy glass. And the books by mike pannett.

Oh cool, I’ll be sure to check those out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending