The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham should go into a strong Corona lockdown

Nottingham with its 60 000 students needs some form of lockdown! It has just about the worst infection rates in England!https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/coronavirus-death-toll-rises-across-4596858
Original post by mgi
Nottingham with its 60 000 students needs some form of lockdown! It has just about the worst infection rates in England!https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/coronavirus-death-toll-rises-across-4596858

The last week or 2 has seen increasing stringent rules.

I rather suspect the damage was done mid-September when students first arrived back in Nottingham (particularly freshers) the rules were lax, and their was not enough enforcement of 'rule of 6'.

Im hoping now their is no mixing of households at homes combined with the 10pm curfew & rule of 6 will cull the R value. Inevitably some students have taken every opportunity to mingle. Nottingham uni has multiple on site testing facilities so hopefully this combined with increased rules & social pressure will help get on top of the virus in the student communities.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I wonder why they have so many cases there🤔. Anyways, I hope those students recover quickly and I hope the people around them are safe.
Original post by Imhere2help
I wonder why they have so many cases there🤔. Anyways, I hope those students recover quickly and I hope the people around them are safe.

2 of the largest UK universities in a medium sized city, attracting students from all over the UK (& the world).
Lots living in halls or in urban dense environments.
Halls opened up earlier this year (to enable people to slowly populate, rather then having the classic giant crowded moving in day you normally get), but they opened up before rule of 6 came in & had a good few weeks before 10pm curfew. Additionally large open spaces on campus & excellent weather provided great opportunity for day drinking which will have continued in halls & houses.

Nottingham uni also has 2 on site testing facilities easily accessible on foot to students (which I suspect means Nottingham uni is capturing a greater proportion of positive cases then other unis).

I think Nottingham is probably unlikely to be unusual & that this is likely happening in all universities (I would be interested to know how Nottingham's student population:total population ratio compares to other cities, and how student testing compares).

It doesnt matter tho the R value will need to be reduced
Original post by mnot
2 of the largest UK universities in a medium sized city, attracting students from all over the UK (& the world).
Lots living in halls or in urban dense environments.
Halls opened up earlier this year (to enable people to slowly populate, rather then having the classic giant crowded moving in day you normally get), but they opened up before rule of 6 came in & had a good few weeks before 10pm curfew. Additionally large open spaces on campus & excellent weather provided great opportunity for day drinking which will have continued in halls & houses.

Nottingham uni also has 2 on site testing facilities easily accessible on foot to students (which I suspect means Nottingham uni is capturing a greater proportion of positive cases then other unis).

I think Nottingham is probably unlikely to be unusual & that this is likely happening in all universities (I would be interested to know how Nottingham's student population:total population ratio compares to other cities, and how student testing compares).

It doesnt matter tho the R value will need to be reduced

Thanks for the info btw 😀 I appreciate it.
Nottingham uni has it's own testing regime in place - it hands out spit test kits to all the students on a rotation, and then if that proves positive the students go on to take a NHS test. This has picked up a huge number of asymptomatic positive cases ( I last heard that about 80% of the positive cases were asymptomatic) This mean that, without the uni doing testing, all those cases wouldn't be picked up, and those students would be spreading the virus around. I suspect that, if other unis did their own testing in this way, (and some of them do) their positive case rate would be very very high too. On first testing, 25ish students in my DDs halls were positive, and so all those in their household had to isolate. On the second testing, only 3 were positive, so this regime is working to contain the virus to a certain extent
There are still plenty of students ignoring the curfews and rule of 6. Having a child there and hearing the frustration of them trying to stick to the rules while others ignore them is driving me mad.
DD is saying the same thing - but there are lots of people not following the guidelines - I see it all the time around where I live - and i don't live in a student town.
Original post by 2childmum!
DD is saying the same thing - but there are lots of people not following the guidelines - I see it all the time around where I live - and i don't live in a student town.

Yep their are people breaking the rules, their are 10,000s of students. That said I think the majority of students are following the rules and sticking to not mixing. And with Nottingham entering tier 3 soon then even mixing outside will be banned.

The social seen at universities is pretty void right now tbh.

The police are watching popular student pubs & issue hefty fines for people who have parties (Ive seen up to £40K fines issued to students...).

Id imagine halls are the hardest place to control covid but hopefully the uni is being pragmatic and keeping a lid on it al.
Interesting update, it appears the tier 2 restrictions in the uni worked.

Active covid cases down over 90% at UoN.
I don't think it was the tier 2 restrictions. I think it was the mass testing of the students by the uni which picked up so many asymptomatic cases. Those students then isolated, as did their flat mates. Those asymptomatic cases (about 80% of the students who tested positive) then weren't wandering around unknowingly spreading the virus.

It will be interesting , with the mass testing of residents in Liverpool, to see whether the % of asymptomatic cases is as high, or whether this is something specific to younger people.
Reply 11
I don't think it was the tier 2 restrictions. I think it was the mass testing of the students by the uni which picked up so many asymptomatic cases. Those students then isolated, as did their flat mates. Those asymptomatic cases (about 80% of the students who tested positive) then weren't wandering around unknowingly spreading the virus.

It will be interesting , with the mass testing of residents in Liverpool, to see whether the % of asymptomatic cases is as high, or whether this is something specific to younger people.

Liverpool?? they are in a Covid-19 mess! Mass testing going on there now. And a nationsl lockdown. 45k new cases a day nationally!
I said that there was mass testing in Liverpool - my point is - will that show up that 80% of the positive cases are asymptomatic across all age groups, or whether this is found more amongst younger people. If 80% are asymptomatic (and so the person doesn't know they have the virus and therefore get tested) then that's a lot of people walking around potentially spreading the virus without knowing it.

Nottingham uni picked up those cases, they (and their households) isolated, and now the numbers at the uni have gone right down. Which would suggest that mass testing of everyone, followed by the relevant households isolating, would probably go a long way towards bringing the infection rate right down.

But people need support to isolate - with food and money to pay their bills etc.
I said that there was mass testing in Liverpool - my point is - will that show up that 80% of the positive cases are asymptomatic across all age groups, or whether this is found more amongst younger people. If 80% are asymptomatic (and so the person doesn't know they have the virus and therefore get tested) then that's a lot of people walking around potentially spreading the virus without knowing it.

Nottingham uni picked up those cases, they (and their households) isolated, and now the numbers at the uni have gone right down. Which would suggest that mass testing of everyone, followed by the relevant households isolating, would probably go a long way towards bringing the infection rate right down.

But people need support to isolate - with food and money to pay their bills etc.

Agreed.

Though let's be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if cases at the uni have gone right down simply because so many people within the uni caught it (those mofos were near single-handedly responsible for getting the entire county under tighter restrictions) and thus have some form of immunity for the time being.

As for the OP. I'll say what I thought at the time. Enforce rules firmly, but realistically (I.E breaking rule of 6 with a gathering as 7 should really only be a slap on the wrist). Any students found breaking the rules significantly should be booted out and blacklisted from universities nationally, shouldn't be refunded, and should receive no help in paying off their debt (which also shouldn't be written off after X amount of time).

Universities should shut up shop for all but the most essential courses, moving everything else online.
Reply 14

Yes, i am inclined to agree with you. However, i think the real and true long term way out if this Corona curse isvthe development and use of effective vaccines. Disease causing viruses are only ever managed longterm by launching effective vaccination programmes! Doing so would produce genuine herd immunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending