The Student Room Group

ACA - Exam dismissal procedure

Hi All.

I recently did not pass one of my professional stage papers and will potentially be subject to the Exam dismissal procedure.

Could anyone who has been through it explain to me what it entails?
Who attends?
What do they ask?
What should I say?
They have been quiet a week - how long do firms usually take to get back to those who have bad failed/failed a resit?
Is it a guaranteed dismissal or have people 'survived' it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I not only love my job ... I need it too. :frown:
Reply 1
This varies by firm. You could probably just ask around and fin out what your firms policy is and what they normally do. I think its unusual for firms to take action on one failure unless its a 'bad' failure. You just have to resit - but may be notified that if you fail the resit your job is at risk.

How long have you worked there?
What firm are you with then I could potentially help, if it is a Big4 and a failed resit then a high chance you'll be fired

Have you read your exam policy on fails?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
This varies by firm. You could probably just ask around and fin out what your firms policy is and what they normally do. I think its unusual for firms to take action on one failure unless its a 'bad' failure. You just have to resit - but may be notified that if you fail the resit your job is at risk.

How long have you worked there?

14 months. I've asked around no one. at least no one I know at least, knows exactly what happens. Rumour is that its just a formality and if called for the meeting it means they will fire you. Unfortunately my fail is re-sit fail. I got an email to say 'You may be subject to exam dismissal procedure' after the resit result but its been radio silent for the week after that. Could you let me know what happens at your firm?
Reply 4
Original post by SATUSI
14 months. I've asked around no one. at least no one I know at least, knows exactly what happens. Rumour is that its just a formality and if called for the meeting it means they will fire you. Unfortunately my fail is re-sit fail. I got an email to say 'You may be subject to exam dismissal procedure' after the resit result but its been radio silent for the week after that. Could you let me know what happens at your firm?

Well - I left the big 4 a long time ago I'm afraid. I believe that the general rule in most larger firms is that people do get dismissed if they fail a resit. Sorry to say that but I believe that is normally the case. How many exams have you passed so far?
Reply 5
Original post by SATUSI

Original post by ajj2000
Well - I left the big 4 a long time ago I'm afraid. I believe that the general rule in most larger firms is that people do get dismissed if they fail a resit. Sorry to say that but I believe that is normally the case. How many exams have you passed so far?

Ok. Thanks. Passed 7.
Reply 6
Original post by SATUSI
Ok. Thanks. Passed 7.

Hey - well thats good - you've got a decent amount of training if things do go the wrong way. Best of luck next week. A couple of posters on this forum were let go due to exam failures. You could reach out to them for advice and to see what their experiences have been.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending