The Student Room Group

Travelling Home for Mid-term break, Covid

Hi guys, just wanted to ask. I'd like to go home for a bit at the end of the month, but I'd only be able to do that via train. What's your experience of travelling by train in the context of the pandemic? I'm curious to know if there are proper measures being adapted for travel so it'll be safe (as safe as you can get anyway.) Would like to put my family's worries at rest as they want me back but are afraid of the risk.
Original post by SetethFlayn
Hi guys, just wanted to ask. I'd like to go home for a bit at the end of the month, but I'd only be able to do that via train. What's your experience of travelling by train in the context of the pandemic? I'm curious to know if there are proper measures being adapted for travel so it'll be safe (as safe as you can get anyway.) Would like to put my family's worries at rest as they want me back but are afraid of the risk.

I get the train to uni everytime I have in-person teaching. It depends what trains (London is obviously more busy, my commute is between two cities that are around 12 mins from each other). If you go at rush hour, there a fair few but never really enough such that social distancing is difficult. If you go off-peak you can often get a carriage to yourself. Train stations are adapted so that staircases are up-only or down-only so as to preserve social distancing guidelines. There is hand sanitiser as you walk into the station. When you get on the train, most don't have specific seats to sit / not sit in, but people generally sit far away from others. I don't believe the number of people boarding a train is capped, but this isn't really an issue as there are few people.
General idea: you'll be alright.
Original post by DoNotMove
I get the train to uni everytime I have in-person teaching. It depends what trains (London is obviously more busy, my commute is between two cities that are around 12 mins from each other). If you go at rush hour, there a fair few but never really enough such that social distancing is difficult. If you go off-peak you can often get a carriage to yourself. Train stations are adapted so that staircases are up-only or down-only so as to preserve social distancing guidelines. There is hand sanitiser as you walk into the station. When you get on the train, most don't have specific seats to sit / not sit in, but people generally sit far away from others. I don't believe the number of people boarding a train is capped, but this isn't really an issue as there are few people.
General idea: you'll be alright.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! This is reassuring :smile:
This is up to you. But if I were you I would research train times and prices in case.
Reply 4
wear gloves and a mask and bring sanitiser and sit no where near other people. definitely book a seat :smile:
Original post by rach0
wear gloves and a mask and bring sanitiser and sit no where near other people. definitely book a seat :smile:

You can't always book seats, it depends on the rail company!
Original post by DoNotMove
You can't always book seats, it depends on the rail company!

I'll look into companies which hopefully let you book them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest